Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Deerhunter - Monomania

Options
  • 25-04-2013 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭

Deerhunter are a fantastic band but it was a case of 'out of sight, out of mind' for me until I saw their performance of the title track from their latest LP 'Monomania' on Fallon the other week. It's a thrilling rendition; it's raucous, chaotic, downright unsettling and probably my favourite song of the year thus far.

Monomania has been streaming for a few days now and it's another excellent addition to their formidable catalogue. They've described themselves as ambient punk in the past and you can definitely feel it here. The riffs on Neon Junkyard and Leather Jacket II are squalling and scuzzy, the latter touching on 13-era Blur with a hint of heavy Pavement.

I'm looking forward to giving this a few more spins over the next few days so I can dig a bit deeper but I'm sold on first impression.

EDIT: Here's the stream in case you're interested.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Looking forward to hearing it. I really enjoyed Halcyon Digest and Microcastles. Lotus Plazas album last year was also excellent. The Atlas Sound stuff was great too, but seeing him at Forbidden Fruit kind of ruined it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,730 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

only recently listened to Atlas Sound's "Parallax" on Spotify and its really good. Of the Deerhunter stuff I didn't think "Halcyon Digest" was as good as "Microcastle/Weird Era" but looking forward to hearing this new one...

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

Looking forward to hearing it. I really enjoyed Halcyon Digest and Microcastles. Lotus Plazas album last year was also excellent. The Atlas Sound stuff was great too, but seeing him at Forbidden Fruit kind of ruined it for me.

What was wrong with the FF performance? Are they / he not any use live?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

What was wrong with the FF performance? Are they / he not any use live?

It was just him and an acoustic guitar. I found it boring and he didn't come across as the friendliest chap to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Haven't got a chance to listen to the whole album but this is quality. Only new to these guys..very strokes-esque sound here..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

Being listening to this album stream on and off the last few days.I am not familiar with previous efforts apart from Helicopter.operation and a few other tracks posted here over the years.After a slow start I am loving this album.Track 2 leather jackets is amazing and I keep repeating the first two tracks so haven't made huge strides towards later on tracks..Track 3/4/5 sound quite similar haven't really grabbed me yet.
    T.H.M is also very intriguing lyrically,autobiographical maybe?
    Be interested to know what T.H.M stands for.

I tried to keep him straight
    ever since the day he was born
    he came out a little late
    maybe that's where frustration's born

my head was like a ??
    when they called me and said
    "it's happened much too soon"
    took two bullets to the brain
    my kid brother, he was insane
    was insane

• Registered Users Posts: 12,836 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

notnumber wrote: »
    Being listening to this album stream on and off the last few days.I am not familiar with previous efforts apart from Helicopter.operation and a few other tracks posted here over the years.After a slow start I am loving this album.Track 2 leather jackets is amazing and I keep repeating the first two tracks so haven't made huge strides towards later on tracks..Track 3/4/5 sound quite similar haven't really grabbed me yet.
    /QUOTE]

You should definitely give Microcastle a listen.

Anyway, I've listened to Monomania a few times and I'm liking it so far. I like it about as much as Halcyon Digest. It's pretty solid throughout. Microcastle would still be my favourite Deerhunter album though.

Tickets have gone on sale for Vicar Street gig. Bought some on the expectation that i'll like the new album....fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

I quite like it. I love the last two albums and this isn't as strong as either of them, but it's growing on me. There's some great songs on there. It's quite a different, almost jarring sound they've gone with to begin the record, but it develops nicely over the duration. The reference points are pretty wide ranging, from 50's rock n' roll right up to contemporary electronica.

I missed them last time they played here so I'll definitely be trying to go when they play next.

WRT Atlas Sound, I'm also a big fan. I reckon his last album was the weakest so far despite being the most accessible. Bradford Cox seems like a total douchebag too; any interview I've read he's come across as a tool. Regardless, he makes great music. The most interesting thing about the AS stuff is the arrangements and sound design so the idea of seeing him playing a gig with only a guitar is not very appealing. Songwriting isn't really a strong point of the Atlas Sound stuff. There's a dynamic within Deerhunter that, from the footage I've seen, seems to translate really well to live performance. AS is much more a studio project, which is cool too but not anything I'd be dying to get tickets for.

pinksoir wrote: »
    I quite like it. I love the last two albums and this isn't as strong as either of them, but it's growing on me. There's some great songs on there. It's quite a different, almost jarring sound they've gone with to begin the record, but it develops nicely over the duration. The reference points are pretty wide ranging, from 50's rock n' roll right up to contemporary electronica.

I missed them last time they played here so I'll definitely be trying to go when they play next.

They're playing in October in Vicar Street, tickets went on sale recently enough.

• Advertisement

Right on. I shall be organising some tickets.

After listening to this album some more, I really wish they had left the first two songs off it. It would have been long enough without them and it's really important to start an album strongly. They're incredibly weak songs and the engineering on them is pretty woeful too. Just seems like a strange decision to have them there.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭weser777

tickets in the bag for these - lookin forward to seeing them...

seen Atlas Sound n Lotus Plaza over in Vancouver - gotta agree about Atlas Sound, we were up front, so was grand, but I can understand if the people behind us were bored!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,730 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

have been listening to Monomania a lot, much prefer it to Halcyon Digest - despite the lo-fi production the songs are very catchy.

Yeah I've been listening to it a lot lately too and it's a really great album. I'm coming around to the first two songs a bit too, but I still think that from track 3 on it's killer song after killer song. My favourites at the moment are Blue Agent and THM. Great sounds all round and I'm loving the loud verse, quiet chorus approach on some of the songs. Love Deerhunter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

His Irish dates have been canceled. Refunds are available.

His Irish dates have been canceled. Refunds are available.

Where did you hear that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Dammit, I was really looking forward to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

This is the 3rd time that I have had tickets to see Deerhunter in various places and they have cancelled, although Bradford Cox has always had a good reason for it, was going to see Children of Bodom the night before as well.

• Advertisement

Lamesville. Crap!!! Really wanted to go to that. Especially having missed Tame Impala, this was gonna be my makeup gig....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

notnumber wrote: »

I tried to keep him straight
    ever since the day he was born
    he came out a little late
    maybe that's where frustration's born

my head was like a ??
    when they called me and said
    "it's happened much too soon"
    took two bullets to the brain
    my kid brother, he was insane
    was insane

The hidden meaning apparently.

Advertisement