Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any info out there on TOOL.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

S.M.B. wrote: »
    100%. It's partly why I like the album so much but it would have also been nice to hear something a little different. I originally thought I was hearing a lot more echoes of Lateralus moments but I think there's also times that I'm hearing 10,000 Days and Aenima.

After a second listen I'm still liking it but still don't have any melody etched in my brain.

Yeah 10,000 days for sure, the riff at the start of "Descending" is exactly like the one from Wings for Marie..

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Dero

nix wrote: »
    Yeah 10,000 days for sure, the riff at the start of "Descending" is exactly like the one from Wings for Marie..

There's a riff in Pneuma Invincible [07:50] that's straight from Jambi.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Dero

Anywhere selling the audio deluxe edition?

Kinda feel the need to get it as i have everything else of theirs, but its a hefty price :(

Anybody seen it anywhere?

Anyway regarding the album, liking it so far, i know i need to listen to it alot more to fully absorb it. There are parts throughout the album where the sound/effect playing for a second is a direct lift from songs on their other albums. Anybody else catching them? Not sure i like that though :pac:

I was in Golden Discs in Newbridge yesterday. They got five copies in, and the guy literally in front of me got the last one. That's five €100 CDs in one day. The lad behind the counter was quite surprised at that; I was just gutted. If I had been one minute earlier... I snagged one on Amazon in any case (just hope it actually ships!).

As for the album, I really like it. It's definitely a grower. I was the same with 10000 Days, to the extent that it has now eclipsed Lateralus for me (a hell of a feat!). I don't think Fear Inoculum will do that, but the more I listen, the more I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Shamo

7empest is the best song on the album for me but I do tend to prefer the heavier songs. I seem to listen to a couple songs on this album, then go back and listen to how great Right in Two, The Pot or Vicarious is. I think 10,000 days is better but will see how it goes after many more listens.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

There's definitely stretches of songs that feel mighty familiar. Descending has a prominent synth section and it's very close in sound to when the synth comes in hard during Reflection. Fear Innoculum has more Reflection drum grooves and the end of it is pure Eulogy. I think some of the riffs may have been around for a while before being put to use - some of the early parts and the closing of Tempest have that rhythmic and crunchy quality that sounds very much like Undertow era material to my ears.

That been said after a few more listens there's a lot there that sounds new too. Some of the guitar work sounds like a bit of a departure in places and not what I would have expected to hear, which is good.

The album definitely has its own character. It's not a re-hash of 10000 Days or Lateralus. At this early stage it seems to me that Tempest is probably the pick of the bunch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Thou

100%. It's partly why I like the album so much but it would have also been nice to hear something a little different. I originally thought I was hearing a lot more echoes of Lateralus moments but I think there's also times that I'm hearing 10,000 Days and Aenima.

After a second listen I'm still liking it but still don't have any melody etched in my brain.

Tempest is an animal of a tune, definitely etched on this brain already, has some of Adam Jones's best guitar work, very catchy and heavy as well. Vocal passage with harmonies near the end of the song, is top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,712 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

This guy bought 4 copys of the album

https://youtu.be/4LvcZASH41Q

• Registered Users Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Loving Descending, 7empest and Pneuma but I tend to enjoy different tracks each time I listen. Absolutely cracking album. I don't think folks could ask for much better from 4 guys in their 50s, 13 years after their last album.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

So this album is pretty good eh? They've always been on my radar but this is the first time I've really listened to them. Is there only 1 drummer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

MadYaker wrote: »
    So this album is pretty good eh? They've always been on my radar but this is the first time I've really listened to them. Is there only 1 drummer?

Yup, he's incredible. I'm not really a fan of the solo drum interlude track on this album but generally his drumming is very characteristic and powerful with a good bit of experimentation with rhythms and time signatures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

Love the album, the drums have my car shaking like thunder!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Scratching the surface of this album is a slow process. While it lacks the immediacy of tracks such as Schism, Vicarious, Stinkfist, etc. it does reward the listener with some melodious passages in tracks like 7empest and Pneuma. The album is definitely more of a prog pilgrimage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

After a week I definitely thing the album is at a level that I'd be well up for seeing them tour it. I never like the idea of going seeing a band tour a new album but have little to no interest in the new material. Would be very happy to see some of these songs live.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I saw descending and invincible live in Lisbon and they were amazing. The effects they use along with it are unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I saw descending and invincible live in Lisbon and they were amazing. The effects they use along with it are unreal.

Same at Download...

It’s like one big audiovisual beast!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Yes, the album is most definitely a grower and lacks the immediacy of some of their earlier material. I guess the 4 of them are a lot older and more mature now, the songs have gotten more introspective with less of the 100 mph stuff and Maynard's roaring. For example, I didn't much like 'Invincible' when I first heard it due to the weird time signatures, however now I think it's a classic. As a man of similar age to the band, I totally get that.

They've announced a good few dates for the end of 2019 touring the US, hopefully won't have to wait to long for a 2020 European tour. When is the last time they played in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

MayoForSam wrote: »
    Yes, the album is most definitely a grower and lacks the immediacy of some of their earlier material. I guess the 4 of them are a lot older and more mature now, the songs have gotten more introspective with less of the 100 mph stuff and Maynard's roaring. For example, I didn't much like 'Invincible' when I first heard it due to the weird time signatures, however now I think it's a classic. As a man of similar age to the band, I totally get that.

They've announced a good few dates for the end of 2019 touring the US, hopefully won't have to wait to long for a 2020 European tour. When is the last time they played in Ireland?

2006, Mastodon supported.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Best gig I've ever been to!

Seen a lot of fools online moaning about the length of the tracks and how there's "nothing new" here. Not sure if these people were expecting a reggae-infused album with a Kylie Minogue cameo or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Even though I'm liking the album I think those are fair enough criticisms of the album. Certainly would not go so far as to call people fools for saying that they feel there's not a whole lot new going on with album and the some songs could have been trimmed a little.

• Advertisement

For anyone that's interested, the CD limited edition is on sale on https://store.toolband.com/ for the rest of today. One last print run apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

Even though I'm liking the album I think those are fair enough criticisms of the album. Certainly would not go so far as to call people fools for saying that they feel there's not a whole lot new going on with album and the some songs could have been trimmed a little.

Huh, trimmed? ffs

Tools albums are composed to be listened start to finish as a journey...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

I've let this album sink in for a while. While it is a solid release, it doesn't reach the heights of Lateralus and Ænima. I would even say it's their weakest album to date.

7empest is the standout track for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

The albums continues to get so much better for me.

But not Chocolate Chip Trip.

I've let this album sink in for a while. While it is a solid release, it doesn't reach the heights of Lateralus and Ænima. I would even say it's their weakest album to date.

7empest is the standout track for me.

I must say, I love 10000 Days and have listened to it pretty constantly since 2006 but I'm putting the new one well ahead of it so far. It's not a Lateralus or Ænima beater but I wouldn't swap out too many tracks from 10000 Days onto Fear Inoculum. Might change my mind with time, who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

corcaigh1 wrote: »
    Huh, trimmed? ffs

Tools albums are composed to be listened start to finish as a journey...

That doesn't mean you can't be of the opinion that parts of that journey overstay their welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Passenger wrote: »
    Scratching the surface of this album is a slow process. While it lacks the immediacy of tracks such as Schism, Vicarious, Stinkfist, etc. it does reward the listener with some melodious passages in tracks like 7empest and Pneuma. The album is definitely more of a prog pilgrimage.

I listen to a lot of progressive house music and I hear a lot similarities in the style of some of the songs. Id love to get the vinyl of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,712 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Really hope they play here soon

Olympia maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Way too big for the Olympia, even in 2019.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I'd (and I'm massively assuming here) say when Tool do come here on their eventual European tour, it'll most likely be in The Point.

Advertisement