Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Steven Wilson and Porcupine Tree

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

It is kinda interesting to note that he is saying the Incident was very productive and he thinks they'd make something good, whereas I believe I read a quote from Steve saying when he looks back on The Incident he feels like the writing was a bit tired and not as inspired (paraphrasing there).

And since Steven is undoubtedly the driving force it's really dependent on him wanting to go back to it

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Aye, I can't see Steve even thinking about Porcupine Tree until he's finished touring with his solo stuff. He might take a break then (Does he ever take a break??) and if the solo tour went as well as the last one he might prefer to go again with them before going back to PT.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Aye, I can't see Steve even thinking about Porcupine Tree until he's finished touring with his solo stuff. He might take a break then (Does he ever take a break??) and if the solo tour went as well as the last one he might prefer to go again with them before going back to PT.

'So we hear you're taking a year off Steven?'
    'Oh yeah I'm just taking it easy, remixing 4 King Crimson albums as well as collecting a bunch of ambient experimental stuff I've written over the past 15 years and releasing it as a collectors edition.... So just relaxing really'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Straight from the horses mouth (sorry Steven, no offence meant!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCnKzqB7eOk

• Registered Users Posts: 21,106 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Delphi91 wrote: »
    Straight from the horses mouth (sorry Steven, no offence meant!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCnKzqB7eOk

Yikes Porcupine Tree as a side-project would be weird!

Also, Gavin's next album is jazz re-writings of his favourite PT songs, released in April. Calling it Cheating the Polygraph!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭blackwave

Title track from the new album! Enjoy :)

It's a nice song, nothing mind blowing. Reminds of Blackfield a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

It certainly has a more accessible feel akin to Lightbulb Sun-era Porcupine Tree than the progressive virtuosity of the The Raven...

Will wait to hear the rest of the album.

Yeah, I think it's a song that'll have to be appreciated in the context of the album

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Nice song, very chilled. It's got a bit of a 'pop' sound to it, not meaning that in a bad way I'm really liking it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Red Wolf

Passenger wrote: »
    It certainly has a more accessible feel akin to Lightbulb Sun-era Porcupine Tree than the progressive virtuosity of the The Raven...

Will wait to hear the rest of the album.

I like it and there's Nothing wrong with having something accessible. It's place and context within the album could be key though.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Ravenholm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭Minjor

Sounds a bit like M83 to me, more like a track written to fit the theme of an album rather than a single like Hand Cannot Erase.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Ravenholm

Minjor wrote: »
    Sounds a bit like M83 to me, more like a track written to fit the theme of an album rather than a single like Hand Cannot Erase.

really like it though. Very atmospheric with some beautiful melodies.

I love that he constantly evolves his sound

After a quick listen in work, I like it. Will appraise it properly later on.

The 2 tracks released so far seem quite upbeat, wonder if that'll translate in the album.

After a quick listen in work, I like it. Will appraise it properly later on.

The 2 tracks released so far seem quite upbeat, wonder if that'll translate in the album.

Going by the subject matter of the album, I expect it will get dark. Plus it's Steven Wilson :P

I like both of the songs. Perfect Life has a nice atmosphere to it. Getting excited about the release now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Cannot wait for this album. The two songs he released so far are really good.

This interview is well worth watching, talks about the new album and the inspiration behind it.

He also talks about Porcupine Tree in the last 2 minutes or so of the 2nd video. The jist of it is, nothing is happening with PT anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭blackwave

Just had a listen to the full album, have to say it is kickass! Really like Routine on it.

https://m.soundcloud.com/steven-wilson/first-regret-3-years-older

Another new track...not long to wait now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭RayCon

Mushy wrote: »

:cool::):cool::)

That's magic .... hope the pre-orders are dispatched promptly by Burning Shed.

Ears.Cannot.Wait.

The full album is available on certain sites.

I do have the album ordered of course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Mushy wrote: »
    Major Rush influence on that one, I thought, in particular a few nods to Xanadu. Which adds a whole 'nother layer to the back story, if you know what was behind the original poem (by Samuel Taylor Coleridge).

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Like that soundcloud link. I wouldn't be very knowledgeable of SW/PT. From what I can hear, there don't seem to be any major musical differences between SW and PT. Well, I suppose SW is PT, but you know what I mean...

Have listened to the album 3 or 4 times in full now. Really enjoy it, not quite as much as Raven, but that's fine. There's a great atmosphere running throughout it and I think Steve has put together a really special album. Ancestral and Routine are probably my pick of the tracks.

I am in full support of this album. I do not want to make comparisons to TRTRTS, it bears no resemblance...and it is fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭RayCon

Despite getting the dispatch mail from Burning Shed I couldn't wait and have "obtained" the album for a sneaky listen. 3 full run throughs now and it is fantastic. It's not a dark as I expected it to be given the subject matter, in fact it's very light and upbeat in places - not that I'm complaining.

I'm picking up Rush bits, Porcupine Tree bits (obviously) and Roger Waters solo stuff from it .... can't wait to hear it live

RayCon wrote: »
    Despite getting the dispatch mail from Burning Shed I couldn't wait and have "obtained" the album for a sneaky listen. 3 full run throughs now and it is fantastic. It's not a dark as I expected it to be given the subject matter, in fact it's very light and upbeat in places - not that I'm complaining.

I'm picking up Rush bits, Porcupine Tree bits (obviously) and Roger Waters solo stuff from it .... can't wait to hear it live

Only 15 days away now, should make for a great show!

I think this is the most "Porcupine Tree sounding" album of all SW's solo stuff. At times I reckon it could have been releases as a PT album and I wouldn't tell the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

After a first listen, well, it's going to take many listens to get a handle on the album. Like the previous album, it doesn't spoon-feed the narrrative to you: what you get out of it depends in large part on what you bring with you. The title Transience might not resonate with most people, for example, but when I saw it I went straight to the Arthur C. Clarke short story with that title. Happy Returns strikes me as deeply subversive, a superficially "happy" song with a bit of a 90s Marillion vibe, but there's much more going on there. :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Advertisement