Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Crew available / crew wanted

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

What part of Dublin are you in kbud

• Registered Users Posts: 3 kbud2005

Stheno wrote: »
    What part of Dublin are you in kbud
    Living just outside Naas but will travel for trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,032 ✭✭✭✭neris

Lambay on this weekend in howth few boats looking for crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Paudi L

Did an introduction day in Howth today and really interested if anyone is looking for crew. Will more than likely become a member in the coming weeks. I'm a complete novice but very willing to learn. I would love to go racing if anybody would put up with a beginner and equally would be happy to go cruising.

Thanks a million.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Paudi L wrote: »
    Did an introduction day in Howth today and really interested if anyone is looking for crew. Will more than likely become a member in the coming weeks. I'm a complete novice but very willing to learn. I would love to go racing if anybody would put up with a beginner and equally would be happy to go cruising.

Thanks a million.
    Check out crewfinder on the hyc website, and also check out HYc crewpoint on facebook.

Send me a pm and if the boat I usually sail on are looking for bodies, I'll let you know, I'm not sailing at the moment due to an injury so they are short crew, and my OHs son just started with them with no prior experience.

As regards membership, leave it a few months, it's a fairly stringent process and easier if you get to know people first :)

• Advertisement

Get your self on a regular boat before you take membership. If your committed to a boat you'll use your membership more rather then not having a boat and feeling you don't need to go out to the club. Also getting on a regular boat will get you opportunities with other boats alot easier. There's adult courses coming up on the J80s which are a good introduction to sailing and the club

http://hyc.ie/adult-training

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

neris wrote: »
    Get your self on a regular boat before you take membership. If your committed to a boat you'll use your membership more rather then not having a boat and feeling you don't need to go out to the club. Also getting on a regular boat will get you opportunities with other boats alot easier. There's adult courses coming up on the J80s which are a good introduction to sailing and the club

http://hyc.ie/adult-training

Absolutely second this.

Can't say enough good about the adult courses. There's a steady group of people going through them and they're all very nice and friendly people. They regularly go out on Tuesdays racing in the J80s. Lots of them are introductory members, and it's an environment where you'll be actually controlling the boat yourself, so you'll learn a lot more quickly than otherwise.

The membership application isn't too stringent - if you're halfway sane you'll get in no problem. Don't worry about the bits where it asks for proposers, seconders and committee signatures, that can all be sorted out.

But first off I'd recommend the courses and/or crewing on a Tuesday or Wednesday (both nights are keelboats - Tuesday are the one designs and Wednesday is the cruisers sailing on handicap) - it'll introduce you to a load of new members, and then getting out racing regularly you'll get to know a lot of the other members.

There's a course/taster on in howth next Saturday for anyone interested in learning or trying sailing

There's a course/taster on in howth next Saturday for anyone interested in learning or trying sailing

Is that the try sailing where different owners volunteer and take people out?

That's what got me started five years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 28,776 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Stheno wrote: »
    Is that the try sailing where different owners volunteer and take people out?

That's what got me started five years ago

Was that five years ago???

How time flies (when you're having fun!) :eek:

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Was that five years ago???

How time flies (when you're having fun!) :eek:

May 2013 mea culpa!

5 seasons ago, one in howth one in DL one off for masters and the last two in howth

No its on the J80s. I think people been taken out on private boats is well gone now as the club have their own boats and training programs

Btw did you ever get out on a 17?

No its on the J80s. I think people been taken out on private boats is well gone now as the club have their own boats and training programs

Btw did you ever get out on a 17?

No haven't yet managed to get out on a 17

I was on the committee boat recently with one of the 17 family and they were very encouraging

I was fascinated how they are run a a coop if that's not the wrong description

Co op?? Wouldn't call them that. They all love to hate each other but at the same time all get on very well and help each other out.

Co op?? Wouldn't call them that. They all love to hate each other but at the same time all get on very well and help each other out.

It was the funding side of it, maybe I picked it up wrong, there was heavy dislike for sure of the different crews, but a real sense of "we are the seventeens"

I think it was how people got to "own the boats" that was what I meant.

Last time I was involved in the race committee for them, we ended up sending the launch out to them to advise of a new start time.

I do love however how in big races like the Lambay you see the big boats going out, and the first back in are the 17s

• Registered Users Posts: 28,776 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

That Afloat article also says crew sought for the Lyver Race this weekend - but it has it going from Liverpool to Pwllheli :confused:

Just in case anyone is interested in it, that's wrong - it's from Holyhead on Friday night to DL (and yes, there are boats looking for crew!) - contact Peter Ryan if you're interested, as per the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Paudi L

Thanks a million for all advise. I've signed up for another intro day in Howth. It is the one where member volunteer to bring newbies out.

I did think a lot about turning up on Tuesday but opted against it as I'd prefer to have something sorted in advance (not that I'm shy but feel its a little presumptuous - I'd hate anyone to be put on the spot).

Paudi L wrote: »
    Thanks a million for all advise. I've signed up for another intro day in Howth. It is the one where member volunteer to bring newbies out.

I did think a lot about turning up on Tuesday but opted against it as I'd prefer to have something sorted in advance (not that I'm shy but feel its a little presumptuous - I'd hate anyone to be put on the spot).

Post on hyc crewpoint on facebook if you are available to crew, anyone wanting crew may well be checking there.

Saturday afternoons are also a good time to post that you are available.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Just in case anyone is interested in it, that's wrong - it's from Holyhead on Friday night to DL (and yes, there are boats looking for crew!) - contact Peter Ryan if you're interested, as per the article.

Isora race this weekends postponed until mid July

http://afloat.ie/sail/offshore/isora/item/36361-isora-s-lyver-race-deferred-due-to-weather

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Higgy12

Hi,
    We are looking for crew to race most Saturdays. We sail from Malahide with races lasting around an hour. Experienced or newbies are welcome so please send a pm if you are interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 heyitsfranklin

I'm available to crew Fridays through Sundays and public holidays. If you're planning a trip to somewhere outside of Ireland, I can take off work depending on where you're going and how much advance notice you give me (1-2 weeks is usually fine).

I have a huge passion for sailing and am still a newbie crew member but I'm looking to gain more experience. I have a RYA Start Yachting certification and am working towards my Competent Crew certification at the moment.

I'm located in Cork but I can usually meet you in Dublin or wherever your port of departure is. PM me with trip and yacht details if you're interested in having me on board :)

PS...
    If you need another crew member, the missus would be happy to join as well.

Puppeteer looking for crew for weekend champions in Howth

https://m.facebook.com/HowthYachtClub/posts/1659089920776523

• Registered Users Posts: 6 robertsirl

looking for crew for weekend cruising from Baltimore, West cork. any level of experience welcome. 39' long keel sloop

Possibly few boats looking for crew for Howth 17 championships next Friday evening & saturday. Hyc crew point facebook page or h17s facebook if any ones interested

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Track9

robertsirl wrote: »
    looking for crew for weekend cruising from Baltimore, West cork. any level of experience welcome. 39' long keel sloop

Hello .
    I would be grateful if you would consider me for Crewing ,as i would like to gain more expereince in sailing .
    I have RYA Day Skipper & other RYA certification .
    In addition i have experience of large Motor Driven vessels , incl watchkeeping ,Ship Handling , Berthing,Anchoring etc.Im an agreeable crewmember,can cook ,wash up & generally lend a hand.
    As Im West Cork based & reasonably flexible on availability i think i would be a positive addition to your crew & would like to hear from you .

Can i suggest we could Private Message or email .

Pat

Track9 wrote: »
    Hello .
    I would be grateful if you would consider me for Crewing ,as i would like to gain more expereince in sailing .
    I have RYA Day Skipper & other RYA certification .
    In addition i have experience of large Motor Driven vessels , incl watchkeeping ,Ship Handling , Berthing,Anchoring etc.Im an agreeable crewmember,can cook ,wash up & generally lend a hand.
    As Im West Cork based & reasonably flexible on availability i think i would be a positive addition to your crew & would like to hear from you .

Can i suggest we could Private Message or email .

Pat
    Pm sent

I'm available to crew Fridays through Sundays and public holidays. If you're planning a trip to somewhere outside of Ireland, I can take off work depending on where you're going and how much advance notice you give me (1-2 weeks is usually fine).

I have a huge passion for sailing and am still a newbie crew member but I'm looking to gain more experience. I have a RYA Start Yachting certification and am working towards my Competent Crew certification at the moment.

I'm located in Cork but I can usually meet you in Dublin or wherever your port of departure is. PM me with trip and yacht details if you're interested in having me on board :)

PS...
    If you need another crew member, the missus would be happy to join as well.
    pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭pbarry

Available for delivery/offshore cruising. Day skipper level. Dublin based but can travel. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 CircleTrack

Available for crew along east coast, maybe west..maybe anywhere? Possibly moving to the east coast for the winter and spring. I'm an enthusiastic beginner, completed the RYA level 1 and 2 sailing courses. Looking for anything really, maintenance, crewing, can take longer trips on board too. Available most of the time, looking for something more long-term if possible. I am eager to learn. Thanks !

Advertisement