Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

miec wrote: »
    I don't know if this is the right place to pose this question but I thought I'd ask, I'm advancing in years, okay close to 40 but I am losing hair down below, is this supposed to happen? Has anyone else experienced similar? Thanks

I'm only 25 but I do know my mother regularly talks about her "alopecia mary" as she calls it!

Don't know if its normal or not but just to let you know its not only you!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi All

After my last child was born on advice and discussion from my GP i decided to go on Cerazette for a while. Now to be honest at the back of my mind i was delighted I could go on a pill of sorts.

a while ago i had investigated going on the pill and was advised not to because of my family history of strokes and heart trouble,

Anyway...Since i have went on it i have not stop bleeding. While my husband does not care(why would he) it has restricted what we do so to speak....

Has anyone else been advised that they should only take the mini pill....

Has this problem happened to them

What did they do...

I have read the rules...I am not looking for medical advice just trying to understand what others done...

Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

I got a letter today inviting me for a smear test (oh lucky me). I never had 1 done before. Do I to get it done or do I ignore it. I dont want to go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Get it done, it could save your life and/or your fertility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Get it done, it could save your life and/or your fertility.

Well thats that decided for me so. Will make a doctors appointment for a suitable time. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Has anyone used the mooncup and how did ye find it if so?? And did you buy it in a shop or online??

Going unreg for this one. I'm in my mid teens, when I orgasm I get sharp cramps that feel like bad period pains for like 2 days afterwards, always on the left side. I'm still a virgin, I have always had massive problems with periods and tampons are sore to take in and out. How do I fix this? Ow! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

ouch:( wrote: »
    Going unreg for this one. I'm in my mid teens, when I orgasm I get sharp cramps that feel like bad period pains for like 2 days afterwards, always on the left side. I'm still a virgin, I have always had massive problems with periods and tampons are sore to take in and out. How do I fix this? Ow! :(

You need to ask a doctor about this - it could be any number of things and you'd want to rule out something serious.

Pembily wrote: »
    Has anyone used the mooncup and how did ye find it if so?? And did you buy it in a shop or online??

You can buy them in boots

Honestly I haven't tried one because I don't know if it'd work for me and paying 20 euro for the priviledge of finding out is simply not in the cards at the moment.

I know eventually that would translate into a savings as it's reuseable, but if I couldn't hack it it would be a waste of money.

Xiney wrote: »
    You need to ask a doctor about this - it could be any number of things and you'd want to rule out something serious.

But the doctor never knows anything about anything. I've been to millions of consultants for bad period pains (costly, costly endeavor) and they all say its probably endometriosis so I went on the pill. I was on it for 2 years, then this summer my stomach was sore all the time for no reason, then it went away. The doctor says nothing is on the scans and the only option otherwise is surgery, and I really don't want to do that :(

• Advertisement

ouch :( wrote: »
    But the doctor never knows anything about anything. I've been to millions of consultants for bad period pains (costly, costly endeavor) and they all say its probably endometriosis so I went on the pill. I was on it for 2 years, then this summer my stomach was sore all the time for no reason, then it went away. The doctor says nothing is on the scans and the only option otherwise is surgery, and I really don't want to do that :(

well... if "millions of consultants" are saying the only remaining option is surgery then I'm at something of a loss as to what you're expecting a bunch of random people with no medical qualifications on the internet to suggest?

I'm not trying to be mean on this one btw, just try and look objectively at what you're asking here...

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Hennybug

dandm wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,
    ok so, smear tests.. do all women get them as they are supposed to and do you think there is enough awareness about them?
    I have always seen them as important, and got them done when needed. Last 2 smears were abnormal. Was sent in to the colposcopy dept for a biopsy and results came back CIN3, had to go in again today and they did LLETZ - which means they remove the abnormal cells, basically scrape them off. any of these procedures... smear, colposcopy, and lletz are all very unpleasant and I dont think there is enough support and advice for young women about them.
    I was terribly freaked out by my results, i did loads of research on the Internet and educated myself on all this smear stuff.
    I wasn't going to tell anyone - friend etc. but then did get talking and whoa its such a common thing that seems to happen young women! everyone seemed to know someone who has had it done at some stage.
    its an unpleasant thing to go through and I really think there should be more support and it should be talked about more.
    Has anyone had LLETZ done? anyone any concerns that we can talk about? anyone feeling a bit shy about getting smears done? dont know what to expect when u go in etc? Lets talk about it!
    I spoke to the nurse today before i went in and told her i think there should be more support or a group or something and she loved my idea!
    The gynecologist who performed the procedure told me to buy a book called: Every Woman. He said every woman should read about it cos he said women dont know enough about their bodies and their bits down there (he didnt say exactly that..)
    Thoughts and comments please.
    M :)

Hi there, great post! Like yourself i've been trying to get more information for myself and having been googling abnormal smears and treatments. I've had varying normal/abnormal smears for the last 6/7 years and having colposcopies for the last 5 years. It's been CIN1 until this time when it's moved to CIN2 so they've decided to do the Lletz procedure. The nurse in the colposcopy clinic has been a great source of information but it's still scaring the hell out of me, I'm scheduled for the Lletz in November and after everything i've sourced i just want to get it over with.

I think getting more information out there to take the fear out of everything is a fantastic idea. The more information we have the better we can deal with any issues that arise and if it encourages others to go for regular smear tests all the better!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

I've been using it for about a year and a half now and it's the best thing ever. You can buy it in Boots or virtually any health shop. I can't see why anyone would have a problem taking it in or out, if you had any major issues with using tampons then maybe. But it's very easy to use.

Advantages are it's cheaper, cleaner, more discreet and better for the environment. I think everyone should be using them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

There was a big discussion on this a while back.
    Everyone I know who has tried it has been happy with it.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055214177

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 TeeHeeHee

Hi Folks,

Not sure if this is in the right place for this, but anyway.

Just a quick question for the ladies...

I'm currently on Yasmin and have been for the past 3 years. I'm looking to change to something lighter, was thinking Microlite, as Yasmin makes me a bit crazy :)

Just looking for others experiences of this pill. Has anyone changed to it from Yasmin? How are you finding it?

Not looking for medical advice at all, will be vistiting my GP this week, just looking for others opinions/experiences..

Thanks all!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mslady

TeeHeeHee wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

I'm currently on Yasmin and have been for the past 3 years. I'm looking to change to something lighter, was thinking Microlite, as Yasmin makes me a bit crazy :)

Just looking for others experiences of this pill. Has anyone changed to it from Yasmin? How are you finding it?

hi teeheehee, i was on microlite for 3 months when i first went on the pill and man did it send me crazy. we're talking hysterical crying pretty much every day and rarely for any reason!!
    i went back to the doc and he told me that it was something to do with my body not dealing with a flat level of hormones well - he put me on logynon which has three different levels of hormones (i'm sure there's a fancy name for that!!). I've been on it now for 4 years with no probs!!

obviously different people react differently - i know people on both yasmin and microlite that are fine on them!! something to consider anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Adelie

Has any woman here who hasn't had kids had the copper coil/IUD fitted? My doctor recommended I consider it because I can't use hormonal contraception, but she won't fit it for me herself because I haven't had kids and that makes it more complicated. She recommended the IFPA. I'm thinking of making an appointment but I don't want to pay them as well and be told the same thing. I'm 26 by the way.

Adelie wrote: »
    Has any woman here who hasn't had kids had the copper coil/IUD fitted? My doctor recommended I consider it because I can't use hormonal contraception, but she won't fit it for me herself because I haven't had kids and that makes it more complicated. She recommended the IFPA. I'm thinking of making an appointment but I don't want to pay them as well and be told the same thing. I'm 26 by the way.

I'm sure you could just ring them and ask do they ever fit it in women who have not had children... that way you shouldn't have to pay a consultation just to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭THEZAPPA

Hi all!

I got the implanon contraceptive put in a few months ago, roughly four months now. Before this I was on the depo Provera for two years and had to move to implanon as the pill does not agree with me.

I am so moody and depressed once a month since being on the implanon. I've put up weight very quickly even though I am eating less and exercising more than ever.

Does this go with time? I never had this on the depo provera and the doctor said the implanon was the same thing..maybe I will get it out!

I was just wondering if anyone else has it and if they have any bad side effects? Or if they had it and got it removed?

Now long would you wait before you do a pregnancy test?

My period's 2 days late. I'm usually exceptionally regular.
    Did use a condom - didn't notice any leakage (sorry if tmi).
    Have never been late before.
    I'm really worried.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭eulB_x

Hi there,

I would be grateful if you could help me with this dilemma:

I (very stupidly) didn't realise that my pill prescription was finished as I thought I had one month left on it. Now I don't have any pill to take.

What should I do?

If I wait until I get my presription (late next week probably) what will happen? Do I just take it as normal when I get it?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭zzxx

Hi

If you have a pharmacy that you usually get your prescription from they will probably help you out. If you explain what happened they should give you a new pack and you can just bring the prescription in when you get it.

If you miss days on your pill you are not protected and need to use another method of contraception

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Your pharmacy will give you an emergency supply to keep you going. Happens every day!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭eulB_x

Ah nice one! Thanks a million for your help:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Can taking an anticiotic make your period late? I'm four days late, always as regular as clockwork. Been using condoms. Very tiny chance of pregnancy but I'm thinking the worst and winding myself up... :(

When I was 22 my period went from 6 days heavy bleeding to 3 days heavy then stops completely. Now it's about two days heavy, half a day light and gone.

I have been to a doctor about this who basically said "What are you complaining about?" (She was a woman too!) I had my hormone levels tested for another condition and they're all normal. Just wondering if anyone else had a change in their period length not related to contraception? I'm not and never have been on the pill.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭shoes34

I finished my pill pack and decided that I didn't want to get my period then so I started another pack immediately (i've never done this before) the first few days were fine then at the weekend I got some bleeding, I have continued to take the pill and just experiencing slight bleeding. I have a smear test on Wednesday should I cancel the appointment for the test?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Adelie

When I was 22 my period went from 6 days heavy bleeding to 3 days heavy then stops completely. Now it's about two days heavy, half a day light and gone.

I have been to a doctor about this who basically said "What are you complaining about?" (She was a woman too!) I had my hormone levels tested for another condition and they're all normal. Just wondering if anyone else had a change in their period length not related to contraception? I'm not and never have been on the pill.

I never had a change in length, but mine have gotten much much lighter as I got older. From 6 days heavy like you, to one or two days heavy then 4-5 days light.

Hi, I just turned 20 and I got a letter about a smear test. I'm a virgin - do I need one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 RubyTuesday

Hi Ladies, I have been on yasminelle for a couple of years and noticed during the summer that I have discoloration that looks like sun damage on my forehead. My doctor says its from the pill. I am wondering if anyone knows if there is a way to get rid of it, will it get worse and would changing the brand of pill help? My doctor said to keep sun block on it.

Advertisement