Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Mess - Military Forum Off Topic Thread!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Craigsy wrote: »
    Just thought i'd throw this in here as it doesnt warrant a thread of its own. Just wondering whats the general time scale in promotion for officers in the PDF, obviously provided your good at it and not an a***hole. I heard you were like assured promo up to captain, is that true?
    Why is it everybody wants to be a Chief these days, and no one wants to be an Indian?
    Would it be safe to say you where pluttered?:pac:
    As my ole Nan used to say, i bet he was wringing with beer!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

iceage wrote: »
    Why is it everybody wants to be a Chief these days, and no one wants to be an Indian?

There's still a few sensible people that see the appeal in being an Indian these days :pac:

As for my level of soberness at Slane... I was absolutely rubber :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Poccington wrote: »
    As for my level of soberness at Slane... I was absolutely rubber :D

Did you happen to see that house on the walk to the stage?You cant really miss it,something about a dad wanting custody of kids.

The house is wrecked,the roof has something spray painted and the dad is an old drunk sitting on the porch shouting abuse.I got a picture beside him but he chased me after:eek:

Ah,good times:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Cadet - 2/Lt = 2 yrs
    2/Lt - Lt = another 2 years
    Lt - Capt = another 4 years

After that its promotion competition time. Service in rank, command, overseas, service number, courses, everything is taken into account.

To answer your question, yes, they are usually guaranteed to get to Captain, unless there was a fu*k up along the way, it might just take a lil longer to get to Capt.
    Just thought i'd throw this in here as it doesnt warrant a thread of its own. Just wondering whats the general time scale in promotion for officers in the PDF, obviously provided your good at it and not an a***hole. I heard you were like assured promo up to captain, is that true?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Craigsy

Would i be right in saying that when its competition time who you know come into play or is that gone with the old times?

Would i be right in saying that when its competition time who you know come into play or is that gone with the old times?

Ha, no thats gone a long time!!

unfortunately, what happens now is, if someone feels as if there was any type of preferential treatment given to someone, a redress of wrongs is carried out. Which just causes a load of snags, so everything is above board bigtime!!

good cause i know no one:pac:

Just thinking back to when my dad went for it and it was pretty much an interview to see who ya knew according to him

Using the time wisely before i go for it, good ed, gaisce gold award, mountain leader qualification etc

good cause i know no one:pac:

Just thinking back to when my dad went for it and it was pretty much an interview to see who ya knew according to him

Using the time wisely before i go for it, good ed, gaisce gold award, mountain leader qualification etc

You know me now..........thatl do!

benwavner wrote: »
    You know me now..........thatl do!

And me!

Just tell the lads on the Interview Board that we sent ya and you'll be grand. Oh and make sure to call them "lads", they'll love that :pac:

• Advertisement

Yeah, i'll strut in wearing an addidas tracksuit tucked into my socks, "story horse, the auld boards lads know me, sure they'll tell ya im sound as a pound"

And me!

Just tell the lads on the Interview Board that we sent ya and you'll be grand. Oh and make sure to call them "lads", they'll love that :pac:

Ha yeah "howya lads, anyone like GAA??"

Ul have more fun in Gormanston tho!

Ha yeah "howya lads, anyone like GAA??"

Ul have more fun in Gormanston tho!

Gormo is the shit.

Gormo is the shit.

Yeah, its just like Disneyland..........but with less rides and more torture in the middle of the night!!

Yeah, its just like Disneyland..........but with less rides and more torture in the middle of the night!!

Less rides? I was up there for about 6 and a half months and all I did was get rode :pac:

And a lovely beach... And people will find a dip in the sea is a lovely experience during an Irish winter!

And people will find a dip in the sea is a lovely experience during an Irish winter!

Do we get any other seasons in the country. I was under the impression we only had one season, wet occasionally two seasons, wet season then damp

Less rides? I was up there for about 6 and a half months and all I did was get rode :pac:

And a lovely beach... And people will find a dip in the sea is a lovely experience during an Irish winter!

Ha good point, and it wasnt the good type of "rode"!!!!

I was there for 7.5 years. The winters are harsh up there alright!

Do we get any other seasons in the country. I was under the impression we only had one season, wet occasionally two seasons, wet season then damp

Theres only 1 season in Gormanston.............pain season!!

Ha good point, and it wasnt the good type of "rode"!!!!

I was there for 7.5 years. The winters are harsh up there alright!

Really? You more than likely know my Platoon Sgt.

More than likely,

Id say the 2nd Bn trained you, possibly 27th.

• Advertisement

More than likely,

Id say the 2nd Bn trained you, possibly 27th.

Nope, I was trained by the Fighting Fifth although I'm a Viking now :)

Thats the one.......spotted the lanyard in "know ur loungers" pic a while ago.

The good aul 5th!

Im ex 5th meself.....Jebus, maybe I trained ya, I trained bout 4 plns in Gormo, although Im gone out of there 2 yrs now.

Thats the one.......spotted the lanyard in "know ur loungers" pic a while ago.

The good aul 5th!

Im ex 5th meself.....Jebus, maybe I trained ya, I trained bout 4 plns in Gormo, although Im gone out of there 2 yrs now.

Ah well then you wouldn't have trained me, I'm still only a red arse myself :pac:

Absolutely fantastic place to train though is Gormo and the 5th is a great training Unit, although I'd probably be killed in my own Unit for saying that :p

Ah well then you wouldn't have trained me, I'm still only a red arse myself :pac:

Absolutely fantastic place to train though is Gormo and the 5th is a great training Unit, although I'd probably be killed in my own Unit for saying that :p

Ha, well if its any consolation, im 9.5 yrs in and im still a red arse!!!

Yeah its a fantastic place alright, I wont tell anyone in CBB what ya said, although im sure 1 or 2 would love to hear it, evil feckers!!

Although, I have to say, I know a rake load of lads over there, good soldiers too.

Some weather today wasn't it?

Went for a bit of a jaunt with the backpack in work today and was sweating like a paedo in a barney suit!

Twas a bit warm for sure mate. Day off for me so ran this morning had a barbeque with the family and am now downing cheap Cider! Summertimeeeeeeee and the stongbow is easssssy.

Oh my god I hear you gasp, he's liable to say anything!!! Pint anyone?

iceage wrote: »
    Twas a bit warm for sure mate. Day off for me so ran this morning had a barbeque with the family and am now downing cheap Cider! Summertimeeeeeeee and the stongbow is easssssy.

Oh my god I hear you gasp, he's liable to say anything!!! Pint anyone?

You jammy git! It almost felt like a crime not having myself a nice cold pint of Bulmers today

There you go mate, I reckon you deserve one.

bulmers.jpg

Enjoy :)

You're a man after my own heart!

How's the training going for ya?

• Advertisement

Good, dragging it out a bit I think...its been 8 weeks since I asked. The basics are no bother push ups, curls etc, (tryed those girly push ups, they're cool :) great for shoulders and chest ) but I'll do it the other way of course.

have dropped the running with weight, its served its purpose as a kick start, so am regularly knocking out easy 1.5 miles in about 15 mins and just for the hell of it I'm running 10k when I'm in the mood, as I was this morning :) I have to say guys, its been a while but with the exception of last year this is the fittest I've been since I was a lad. If this is a midlife crisis at 40ish its not that bad. :)

Advertisement