Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Weight Loss Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,226 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Mellor wrote: »
    Without a control for calorir intake. It means next to nothing.

From what I've read the fasting does generally involve keeping a calorie deficit anyway, which eating fewer meals will help achieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Penn wrote: »
    From what I've read the fasting does generally involve keeping a calorie deficit anyway, which eating fewer meals will help achieve.
    Well that's the point. You can't use weighloss as proof if it's the equal to the loss that would occur anything (without fasting).

Fasting as an approach to reducing calories makes sense though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

fwiw I have also not felt the need for a tummy tuck, or feel I need one. I did think I did at one point, but I dropped more weight/ body fat, and remarkably that "excess skin" was gone as it was really fat. That's my n=1, to go against the limited evidence of one doctor - I did read the study the last time it was posted.

A number of other variables can effect excess skin too, such as speed of weight loss and age, skin condition etc. Like I said I did follow up on it, as at the time I was interested in what the study was suggesting.

If IF helps you maintain a calorie deficit, in a sustainable way for you, that's great. But that's where the evidence ends, at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Completely off the wagon this week. Valentines meal..two takeaway pizzas.. Etc. Was craving **** food due to my time of the month i think but the motivation came back today!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭fankity flank

Well that's the point. You can't use weighloss as proof if it's the equal to the loss that would occur anything (without fasting).

Fasting as an approach to reducing calories makes sense though.

Interesting article on intermittent fasting here, with some actual science. Not sure the evidence is there to suggest it can accelerate weight loss (versus other diets, with calorie intake being equal), but the additional health benefits should be enough for everyone to consider using it, in some form or another

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/intermittent-fasting-surprising-update-2018062914156

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Without a control for calorie intake. It means next to nothing.

can you explain? fasting and non fasting are in a calorie deficit, the only proposition is that fasting promotes Autophagy in contrast to simply using fat stores under a normal eating schedule. Bariatric patients are at the extreme end being on about ~600 calories a day because they physically cant eat anymore. If someone is say doing alternate day fasting they are probably eating more on average but possibly a little less than a regular dieting strategy that's just a guess, there is no one fasting protocol or formula.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Interesting article on intermittent fasting here, with some actual science. Not sure the evidence is there to suggest it can accelerate weight loss (versus other diets, with calorie intake being equal), but the additional health benefits should be enough for everyone to consider using it, in some form or another

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/intermittent-fasting-surprising-update-2018062914156

I don’t think “speeding up “ weight loss is a particular feature of fasting. “If” it has a unique benefit it’s that it’s a superior way to aid maintaining weight loss after, reason being that it preserves the basal metabolic rate relative to being in a constant deficit where the body is going to try adjust to the more “frugal” environment.
    Other than that it just may suit some individuals better long term to have the odd fasting day and not feel every day is going to be restricted.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

silverharp wrote: »
    can you explain? fasting and non fasting are in a calorie deficit,

Yeah, no problem. This was the hypothesis;
    "if a group of people have lost a significant amount of weight using fasting and havn't needed a tummy tuck at the end then there is something there"

I'm pointing that losing weight and not having loose skin doesn't prove there something there. Losing weight could be just a byproduct of the deficit induced by fasting. You need a control group to make claims with any degree of confidence. That's applies generally to all studies.

If a control group with the same calorie deficit, lost the same weight, but has more loose skin there would be something to fasting.
    But what if the control group had the same results?
    Or what is they has more loose skin, and more weight loss (due to autophagy energy balance).

I'm not saying it does or doesn't work. I'd saying we need to control the varibles to prove it works.

If someone is say doing alternate day fasting they are probably eating more on average but possibly a little less than a regular dieting strategy that's just a guess, there is no one fasting protocol or formula.
    Exactly could be more, could be less. Without quantifying and comparing, it's very hard to make solid claims.
    silverharp wrote: »
    “If” it has a unique benefit it’s that it’s a superior way to aid maintaining weight loss after, reason being that it preserves the basal metabolic rate relative to being in a constant deficit where the body is going to try adjust to the more “frugal” environment.
    Does it though?

Obviously the normal eating say has less impact on BMR than a dieting day.
    But surely the fasting (aka starving) day has a greater impact.
    It could well be that the net effect is positive, but it would also be negative.
    I'm jut speculating, a study could easily prove it less impact over all

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'm not saying it does or doesn't work. I'd saying we need to control the varibles to prove it works.
    This is much more succinctly saying what I try to say (seems like all the time) about IF.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

How much weight would you expect to gain from muscle gains if you took up a bit of running and free weights in the evenings that you hadn't been doing before? I had my weight down to 83kg and falling but it shot back up to 85 over the last two weeks and that's the only change I can think of...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Thargor wrote: »
    How much weight would you expect to gain from muscle gains if you took up a bit of running and free weights in the evenings that you hadn't been doing before? I had my weight down to 83kg and falling but it shot back up to 85 over the last two weeks and that's the only change I can think of...

You wouldn't put on 2kg of muscle in 2 weeks anyway. If it is 2kg of muscle, tell me your secret :)

A chunk will likely be water if its definitely not diet. But sometimes people throw in running and weights and think they've burned a lot and eat more thinking they've come out neutral when they've eaten more than they've burned. Not saying this is you but it's definitely not uncommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

You wouldn't put on 2kg of muscle in 2 weeks anyway. If it is 2kg of muscle, tell me your secret :)

A chunk will likely be water if its definitely not diet. But sometimes people throw in running and weights and think they've burned a lot and eat more thinking they've come out neutral when they've eaten more than they've burned. Not saying this is you but it's definitely not uncommon.

I have a very repetitive intake so I have to eliminate that, even if it is not exactly the best diet.

Ah well, I was thinking of trying intermittent fasting to get down to 80 so this just makes the decision for me, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭Worztron

Hi.

I've had great success with losing fat after I became vegan. I exercise often (although I could do more). A few months after turning vegan (last quarter of 2016), I bought a weighing scales and I was near 95.5kg with a 30.8 BMI. Within 18 months, I was just under 65kg with a BMI just under 22. The best part of a year later, I've maintained that weight loss. The majority of my weight loss was belly fat.

I still eat junk food now and then.

The downside is that over the years I've given away clothes that would now fit me perfectly again. Oh we. :)

---

The Science of Vegan Fat Loss: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcN2HjOutEk

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

Feckin scales were teasing me this morning. Got on and was 92.2kg which was slightly up from last weigh, tried again & 89kg which was to good to be true so went a 3rd & 4th time both read 92.8kg so left it at that. Have a cold n feel ****e so putting the gain down to that. Trying to break below 90kg is doing my head in

Only 1lb this week. It's fine, but now leaves me on 99lb lost. So close to the 100 I can taste it...

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭tamara25

Way to go Penn!! It’s a great feeling when you are fitting into smaller size clothes.

tamara25 wrote: »
    Way to go Penn!! It’s a great feeling when you are fitting into smaller size clothes.

Definitely. Having to buy another new set of work shirts now as the ones I bought because my others were too big for me are now too big for me :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Week 1: -2lbs
    Week 2: -4lbs
    Week 3: -2lbs
    Week 4: -3lbs
    Week 5: STS
    Week 6: -1lb
    Week 7: -1lb

Up to 13lbs gone forever since January. And more importantly I haven’t missed one gym session so I’m seeing a massive improvement in my clothes and how they fit too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Loughc wrote: »
    Week 1: -2lbs
    Week 2: -4lbs
    Week 3: -2lbs
    Week 4: -3lbs
    Week 5: STS
    Week 6: -1lb
    Week 7: -1lb

Up to 13lbs gone forever since January. And more importantly I haven’t missed one gym session so I’m seeing a massive improvement in my clothes and how they fit too.

Week 8: -1.5lb

Delighted with that as I was sick most of the week so gym was out the window and my steps are well down so this was all food this week and finally got the stone done.

Loughc wrote: »
    Week 8: -1.5lb

Delighted with that as I was sick most of the week so gym was out the window and my steps are well down so this was all food this week and finally got the stone done.

Kinda balances out the week where you stayed the same but had expected a loss :)

• Advertisement

3lb this week. Have been trying a bit of intermittent fasting (16:8) since Thursday evening, which hasn't been too bad. I tend to skip breakfast on weekends anyway so the only real change is skipping it on Friday too, and switching to black coffee too. But might do IF on weekends going forward, then CICO Monday-Thursday.

Anyway, 3lb means I've crossed the 100lb mark! Also means I'm just under half a stone to my main goal. So to celebrate, here's a progress pic, just over a year in the difference

20190302-221357.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Penn wrote: »
    3lb this week. Have been trying a bit of intermittent fasting (16:8) since Thursday evening, which hasn't been too bad. I tend to skip breakfast on weekends anyway so the only real change is skipping it on Friday too, and switching to black coffee too. But might do IF on weekends going forward, then CICO Monday-Thursday.

Anyway, 3lb means I've crossed the 100lb mark! Also means I'm just under half a stone to my main goal. So to celebrate, here's a progress pic, just over a year in the difference

20190302-221357.jpg

Wow. Some change, you look great, well done :)

That’s savage work Penn! Well done!!

Jaysus.

Now that's a transformation.

Bualadh bos, boss!

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭snor

Wow Penn. That's amazing. You're amazing! Have a similar Amount to loose myself do going to read back over your journey. Very well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭snor

Wow Penn. That's amazing. You're amazing! Have a similar Amount to loose myself do going to read back over your journey. Very well done.

Thanks all!
    snor wrote: »

Thanks snor, and welcome! This thread is a great resource to ask advice and get tips. I didn't do anything special, just counting calories. The most important things I've learned are allowing new habits to form, and not being too restrictive with the diet. Don't eat things you don't like just because they're healthy or low calorie. Find healthy low calorie foods that you do like. Makes it far easier to stick to, and feels less like a diet, and more of a change in what you're eating.

Any advice you want, just ask here, or feel free to drop me a pm. The hardest part is just getting going and getting into a routine. Once you do that for a while, most of the time it barely feels like a diet, and it's fairly easy to stick to. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭dragona

You look amazing, and must be feeling amazing too. Biggest congratulations on your achievement!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

WOW! What a change!

You must feel so much fitter and healthier and have so much more energy, seriously well done, it takes great effort and commitment to lose that much weight! :)

• Advertisement

WOW! What a change!

You must feel so much fitter and healthier and have so much more energy, seriously well done, it takes great effort and commitment to lose that much weight! :)

Thanks. It's weird, I actually don't feel any fitter or healthier etc, and yet I know I am. It's because it happened so gradually that as time has gone on it hasn't felt like there's been any change. It's only when I really think about how I was back then that I realise how much of a change there has been.

Same even with how I look. For the first 4 or 5 stone I didn't really feel like I looked any different at all, even though I was having to buy new clothes and stuff. It was only seeing old photos that I really started to think "... f*ck... is that what I looked like?" :D

Advertisement