Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Has anyone else tried this trick....

Basically if you have no way of telling the time and you need to wake up at a particular time just recite the time repeatedly in your head as you are falling off to sleep. Let's say you want to be up at 5am...just keep repeating it over and over as you nod off and hey presto you wake up at 5am on the dot.

Okay it might be a bit redundant now as everyone has phones. But I did this quite a bit back in the early 90s when I had no phone or clock in the bedroom. Always worked and on the exact dot.

Not creepy or anything, maybe a bit wierd, just related to your post re time. If I wake up in the middle of the night I always know what time it is. Usually exactly, sometimes at most a minute either side of the right time.

And not just during the night. At any given moment of the day I just know what time it is without checking.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭the14thwarrior

About six weeks ago I was woken up in the middle of the night by three loud knocks on my bedroom door. I sleep through anything so this was unusual. i sat bolt up right in bed, and turned on the light, opened my door but there was no one there. no one else in the house heard it the next morning.

now i've heard the "three knocks of death" but my mother is dead for about 10 months and I was very close to her. I crept down the stairs to check on my father, but he was fast asleep.

the knocks were so real to me but perhaps i dreamt them. Sharp, loud, consistent with someone knocking on my bedroom door, like my father does when I over sleep.

so they say someone close to you dies....... and for a week or so all was well till my boyfriends brother died, the next door neighbour and the third (always the third) my best friends mother. Probably a coincidence

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Had a very unnerving and gross experience with a Garda in Salthill in 2007. I had just finished my Leaving Cert the previous week and was driving home from a friends house one night late after being at a house party ( not drinking) when I saw the lights of a Garda car in my rear-view mirror.
    I get skittish around Gardai for some unknown reason ( never broken a law in my life!) I pulled over sharpish.
    First of all the Guard took an age to get out of his car which made me even more nervous.
    He then walked slowly up to my window and knocked.
    Told me I was driving erratically even though I definitely wasn't.
    Asked me had I been drinking and would I take a breathalyzer.
    I told him I hadn't and of course.
    He told me to exit my car which I did and then things started to get weird.
    He started making weird comments saying I was very good-looking and weird comments about what I was wearing ( a short skirt and hoodie after the party) He kept asking me about myself, where I went to school, friends etc.
    He finally crossed the line by touching my leg and trying to put his hand on my ass, I was pretty shell-shocked and didn't resist. (Big regret.)He said he wouldn't report my driving if I was ' a nice girl'.

This is what really made me snap out of the sense of shock. I told him he had no right to do any of this and I quickly walked back to my car and took off. He didn't attempt to stop me which was really telling.

I never really followed up on it which is a major regret of mine.

Thats creepy for sure, never too late to follow it up is it? He might be still at that kinda stuff to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

I walked past Ryan Tubridy on Dun Laoghaire Pier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

Can’t sleep so will post this. The usual disclaimers, I don’t believe in ghosts etc etc.

So moved into a flat in London along with 4 others back in 2010. The flat was far too nice for us, one of three in this converted old home. The house was over a hundred years old, had held foreign dignitaries back in the day and had a lot of history to it. Anyway any time I was in the house I always felt someone else was there. Nothing creepy went on in the house though now when we look back it did. So things like glasses clinking when we never touched them, the lights flickering the odd time. We always had an excuse for them, must be dodgy wiring etc. We started to cop on to things once there was more knocking or lights anytime we opened up the attic.

In the living room we had two couches, both facing the tv. The arms of them were curved but on the left couch, the left arm must have been particularly curved because our phone or the remote would always fall off it. Without fail you’d leave the phone on the arm and it would fall and you assumed you’d knocked it yourself or it was on a bad angle.

One day a lad and I are playing the PlayStation and without saying anything we just both stopped and looked over at the other couch. There was a bag for life lying beside the arm of the couch, the handles of it were stood straight up in the air and started waving and moving side to side. This went on for about 5 seconds or more, then they just dropped and that was it. Needless to say it freaked the crap out of us.

Fast forward a few weeks later and everyone is away on holiday bar me and same chap. He goes to work for the day and I am lying in bed. I never slept well in my room as it was intensely cold, like I mean absolutely freezing. So I decide to make my bed, read a book for a bit and head down to the newsagents for an ice cream. I was gone about half an hour all in all and got home and went back to my room. When I got to my room I froze in my tracks. On the bed was a photograph face down. I lifted the photograph and it was three young lads, maybe 17 on what looked like a warm destination (Spain at night). The middle lad has a plastic bag over his head and tied at the neck. I had never seen the photograph or the lads before in my life. Needless to say I filled the togs. My first impression was that I had disturbed someone (still slow to pick up on the ghost vibes wasn’t I?) and so went around the house with scissors checking behind doors looking for an assailant but place was empty.

Estate agent a few weeks later visited and I told her the story. She’d been looking after the house for years and said she hates it, could never wait to get out of it. So that’s my story!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Good story Bobby,

Is that all the estate agent said? she didn't elude to any other happenings in it?
    Any ideas where the photograph came from that was on your bed? thats an odd one.

Hmmm im feeling cold now reading that as my lights flicker alot even though theres no wind.

Good story Bobby,

Is that all the estate agent said? she didn't elude to any other happenings in it?
    Any ideas where the photograph came from that was on your bed? thats an odd one.

Hmmm im feeling cold now reading that as my lights flicker alot even though theres no wind.

That’s all she said. When we got the house she informed us Charles De Gaulle has stayed there when he was in exile though I never looked into that. I was a young lad just moved to London and so wasn’t high on my priorities!

No idea, my only suggestion was that it was from the book I was reading that was a library book and maybe was used as a bookmark by someone? Only thing is I’d had the book for quite a while and never spotted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭emilymemily

About 6 years ago I was home from college for the Easter mid term break, my parents live in a 300 year old farmhouse out the country side. It was about half 3 in the morning, I was in the sitting room working on projects for college that were due in for final assessments after the break, as the house is so old the doors upstairs are easily 100 years old, theyre not level, get caught in the floor as the bottom of them are jagged with cracks and holes, they have to be pulled and pushed hard to open and close, my bedroom door in particular is very loud when being opened and closed, it squeaks, the door knob makes a loud noise and the door drags across the floor - theres no mistaking my door being opened or closed.

So im down stairs, my bedroom is right above the sitting room, everyone else is in bed asleep and suddenly I hear my bedroom door open, like someone has pushed it very hard, I ignore it thinking its someone awake going into my room, I then hear the door violently shut, again I ignore it. A few minutes later I hear it open again, at this point im thinking who is in my room but I ignore it, door slams again, , It happens a third time so I go upstairs to check who keeps going into my room, my bedroom door is wide open and the light is on, I check to see if my parents are awake and ask them if they where in my room - no response, theyre both asleep so I check my brothers room - hes also alseep. I turn off the light and close the door, go back down stairs.
    A couple of minutes later the door is banged open again, then slammed shut, it then happens again, and a third time. I thought its my brother being a d!ck so I ignore it but I am starting to feel that something isnt right, I would have heard someone walking around and my brothers room is the other end of the house, door opens again, I run upstairs, no sign of anyone but my bedroom light is on and my door is wide open again. I go back down stairs, this happens a third time, everyone in the house was asleep, it eventually stops. The next day I asked my family if they heard the banging the night before but none of them heard it, it was so loud, the ceiling was shaking but no one else heard it. I never figured out what it was but it still freaks me out when I think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Has anyone else tried this trick....

Basically if you have no way of telling the time and you need to wake up at a particular time just recite the time repeatedly in your head as you are falling off to sleep. Let's say you want to be up at 5am...just keep repeating it over and over as you nod off and hey presto you wake up at 5am on the dot.

Okay it might be a bit redundant now as everyone has phones. But I did this quite a bit back in the early 90s when I had no phone or clock in the bedroom. Always worked and on the exact dot.

My Dad is adamant this worked for him in the 60s 70s etc

I work in the grounds of an old monastery, with lots of dormitories that were once used to accommodate students,and before that, monks would stay there. It's rumoured that one of the dorms is haunted by a monk from the 19th century, who died there.

Admittedly, I don't like being alone in this particular place, it has an 'uneasy' ambience, but I haven't ever heard or seen anything.

Today, one of the newest employees was sent up there to do some painting, minutes later he came running down to where I was working. He was as white as a sheet, and quite distressed. He said as he got to the top of the stairs 'someone' coughed right beside him,then he heard a moan and a door in front of him slammed shut. He refused to go back in there, so (brave me) went up there with two others. We didn't see or hear anything unusual, but it just didn't feel right.

To finish my kinda' boring story, I later asked my boss about the haunting rumours and she admitted she will not stay in the building alone after dark, and she will not enter that particular dorm unless there is somebody with her. TL/DR Dead monk not so dead :D

I wonder how the monk died. He must have been sick with that cough and moaning

• Advertisement

My Dad is adamant this worked for him in the 60s 70s etc

Yeah, if I have an early flight, and early Taxi calling, I always seem to wake up just minutes ahead of the alarms, like my sleeping mind is monitoring the clock.

I meant to post this last night with my other story but its not creepy or scary but I just find huge coincidences fascinating having read this thread.

So my dads cousins son was in college in Galway on an Erasmus from Philadelphia and Dad told me to go meet him. Met for a pint twice and he was a nice lad, genuine down to earth etc etc. Didnt keep contact with him but this was before Facebook.

Fast forward 7 months and I am in Boston on a J1. Work was cancelled for the day so I went into the city for a potter. Came out of the subway and physically bumped into the same lad. He had decided to come up to Boston for a few days with his Mam. I still think about it today, the odds of him coming up 6 hours from Philly, the odds of my work being cancelled, the odds of it all.

Sorry its not creepy, we can pretend hes a serial killer for the threads sake :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

The talk of premonitions is interesting. People used to say my granny had a knack for it, it was even mentioned in the eulogy at her funeral. It kind of happened to me once. Around ten years ago me and Mam were in Dunnes and she spotted a rug that she liked. For some strange reason that I can never understand, and it has never happened since, I just got this wave of dread and told her i didn’t like the rug and she shouldn’t buy it. I just had this feeling deep down inside that it was wrong and when she pushed me on it I said I felt our dog was going to die on it. She kind of laughed and told me to shut up and bought it anyway. That night, the dog puked on it :pac: and about a year later when we came home from a funeral we found the poor thing lying dead on it.
    It was such a strange feeling and when I tell people the story they laugh. I can’t explain the feeling that came over me when I first laid eyes on it, it was just an all encompassing feeling that this rug is going to make you really sad one day. I couldn’t explain it.. and still can’t explain it in a way that does justice to the accuracy of how I felt. very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

i was reading a book in the kitchen at home around 12.30/1am a few years ago. small cottage in the country nearest house is next door, but a few mins walk away.

Anyway, reading the book, wife and kids fast asleep and I hear this very loud smashing sound - almost like the kind of sound a chandelier would make if it fell off the ceiling (well I imagine it would be the same kind of sound as it sounded like a lot of glass hitting a floor.)

Searched the place inside out as I thought one of the kids may have hurt themselves or something but everyone was still asleep and there wasn't glass broken anywhere in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭tamara25

I absolutely love reading all these stories, very interesting/unusual. I read a book a while back by Colm Keane called ‘forewarned extraordinary Irish stories of premonition & death’. Really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Came out of the elevator and my apartment door was ajar. I walked in, said HELLO, looked around and didn't notice anything strange or missing. Sat on the couch for a second trying to figure out what's going on. Was it the landlord? Was I robbed? Walked towards my bedroom and saw a woman's face staring at me, expressionless, from under my bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    Came out of the elevator and my apartment door was ajar. I walked in, said HELLO, looked around and didn't notice anything strange or missing. Sat on the couch for a second trying to figure out what's going on. Was it the landlord? Was I robbed? Walked towards my bedroom and saw a woman's face staring at me, expressionless, from under my bed.

And you're just leaving that there??? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I was parked in a shopping centre and got into my car . Before I had the key in the ignition my passenger door opened and a woman of about 25 sat in beside me . I said politely that it was the wrong car but realised quickly the girl had special needs and was by now frightened . Trying to calm her I asked her name etc . No one was looking for her or calling her
    Long story short I could get no information not could I get her out of the car . It really rattled me and was in the days before mobile phones . My only option was to tell her I was taking her home and drove to the nearest Garda Station .
    Till this day I have no idea who she was or where she came from . She seemed to arrive from nowhere and I hadn't seen her as I approached my car

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Was it a woman's mag left under your bed, and you were looking at the cover?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

That or he forgot about the hooker he murdered the previous night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Was the OP attacked by the under the bed woman before he could finish his post

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭cnoc

About 2 years ago I was tidying my room and came across a Catholic Bible, coffee table size, which I got from my aunt. My aunt had been given it by a priest who was leaving the church. I left it in the garage overnight, with the intention of putting it in the recycle bin. Later that night I was fast asleep in bed and suddenly I was floating above the bed. I remember putting my arm down in the bed and lowering myself back in to bed. Next morning I brought the Bible back in to the house, where it has since remained.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Or an old Family Album catalogue?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

tamara25 wrote: »
    I absolutely love reading all these stories, very interesting/unusual. I read a book a while back by Colm Keane called ‘forewarned extraordinary Irish stories of premonition & death’. Really enjoyed it.

Yes!
    It's nowhere near Hallowe'en, but suddenly there is this great wave of creepy and spooky stories, on a thread that was very quiet for ages. I'm loving them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

cnoc wrote: »
    a Catholic Bible, coffee table size,

Wow! that's a big bible.....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Alexa started laughing at me the other night.....

Wanna know the weirdest part she wasn't even plugged in.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭oceanman

About 2 years ago I was tidying my room and came across a Catholic Bible, coffee table size, which I got from my aunt. My aunt had been given it by a priest who was leaving the church. I left it in the garage overnight, with the intention of putting it in the recycle bin. Later that night I was fast asleep in bed and suddenly I was floating above the bed. I remember putting my arm down in the bed and lowering myself back in to bed. Next morning I brought the Bible back in to the house, where it has since remained.
    you were probably just having an out of body experience in your sleep, maybe noting at all to do the bible but best to err on the side of caution.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭cnoc

oceanman wrote: »
    you were probably just having an out of body experience in your sleep, maybe nothing at all to do the bible but best to err on the side of caution.

Nothing ever like that happened to me in the past. Is it unusual to have an out of body experience when one has their full health?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭oceanman

Nothing ever like that happened to me in the past. Is it unusual to have an out of body experience when one has their full health?
    I think a lot of people have them at random regardless of the state of there health.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

Roisy7 wrote: »
    Have heard of this happening in my own locality. (Co limerick). A man was walking in his own field and got lost for hours. it was very recent as well...

You would have to wonder how a person could get that disoriented in a familiar place...

Happens a lot from where I am too, also Co. Limerick

Advertisement