Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

rooney30 wrote: »
    Where is the evidence for this ? Any sports science / golf swing biomechanics paper you can reference to support this ?
    All the tops guys are a bit buff. I’m sure there is good reason for this from a sports science point of view . You can be sure they will be taking advice from guys with a phd level of study in their field They all have some definition but it’s not as if they walking around like hulk hogan( Rory included)
    It’s a wonder that Tiger won anything at all, maybe if he went the Shane Lowry route he would have beaten Jacks record

I can’t quote evidence, just a fable, when Samson cut his hair he lost his strength. Not sure either if Tiger had a beard he would have beaten Jack, but you could be right about that as well.

The buff bit I can’t comment on, you might want to look at other threads for an opinion on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭rooney30

Dav010 wrote: »
    I can’t quote evidence, just a fable, when Samson cut his hair he lost his strength. Not sure either if Tiger had a beard he would have beaten Jack, but you could be right about that as well.

The buff bit I can’t comment on, you might want to look at other threads for an opinion on that.

Your obviously immune to sarcasm . The hair comment was made with tongue firmly in cheek . I’m sure most in here would have picked up on that .

It was made mainly in response to a few wild statements made in here based on false intuition and pseudo science

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

martinkop wrote: »
    165 yds on shot tracker. Finished 27 yds short.

I thought Radar called it as 144 in commentary, but maybe that was 164..... It was radar after all

Its 165 according to shot tracker anyways JT was 2 yards behind that and he hit a 9 iron if I remember correctly which landed pin high but ended up at the back of the green

rooney30 wrote: »
    Your obviously immune to sarcasm . The hair comment was made with tongue firmly in cheek . I’m sure most in here would have picked up on that .

I bet the irony of that is lost on you, fore!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Rikand wrote: »
    I thought Radar called it as 144 in commentary, but maybe that was 164..... It was radar after all

144 to front edge perhaps? That would sound about right anyway given pin was a back placement.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭idle

ligerdub wrote: »
    There seems to be a lot of murmurs online about McIlroy and McGinley having a bit of a falling out. While it wouldn't be a huge surprise if it's true (both of them seem to have a habit of falling out with people), is there any real evidence of it?

I felt it was a bit risky of McGinley to openly criticise part of Rory's game, particularly to describe some of it as "average" all the same.

As for Rory not being aware he was in contention on Sunday, he wasn't really in contention until literally the point at which he holed that bunker shot. He started the day at -9, whereas the leader started the round at -17, and there were 2 starting from -13. He was at -11 when he hit that bunker shot, he could hardly be expecting to be furiously looking at leaderboards sitting on -2 for the day when he started miles behind the leaders.

Rory turned 3 under. JT who lead by 4 teeing of bogeyed 3 of the first 5 holes.

I’m not saying Rorys back nine would have been any different but it’s surely better knowing that the leaders are coming back to you and that a solid back 9, in conditions where guys are dropping shots, could get it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,394 ✭✭✭Trampas

Confirms he’s not playing Irish open.

He hasn’t rejoined the euro tour yet so any points collected this week won’t count to race to Dubai.

Maybe he did have a fallen out with Paul but we don’t know.

Not a good sign for Irish open this year for attracting some more big names

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Article says he will retain card but not play Irish open.

His reasoning for not playing is understandable as a lot of players do the same but very disappointing that he won’t be in Lahinch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Donald Trumped

As a Clare man myself, he has basically given the two fingers to Lahinch GC, Keith Pelley, the European Tour, Irish golf fans and Irish golf in general. Rory showing enormous ego here I feel. There must be a serious wedge between McGinley and Rory, but that should not be an excuse for Rory to skip his national Open.

With his huge standing in the game, whether justified or not, this crazy decision by the four time major winner to skip the Irish Open, will inevitably lead to this fine event being completely overshadowed by Rory's absence.

Lahinch GC will showcase what is best about the county of Clare. That should be the focus now I hope. No player is bigger than the European Tour or golf in general. The Irish Open will do just fine in my opinion. But obviously this no Rory in Lahinch distraction, will not help the reputation of this great championship.

On a side note, ticket sales and much needed revenue for the local economy, could be negatively impacted by Rory's absence. He has done a huge disservice to Irish golf with this provocative decision, that will lead whether we like it or not, to further questions about Rory's nationality and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Real pity about the Irish open, good job I booked tickets for the open.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

As a Clare man myself, he has basically given the two fingers to Lahinch GC, Keith Pelley, the European Tour, Irish golf fans and Irish golf in general. Rory showing enormous ego here I feel. There must be a serious wedge between McGinley and Rory, but that should not be an excuse for Rory to skip his national Open.

With his huge standing in the game, whether justified or not, this crazy decision by the four time major winner to skip the Irish Open, will inevitably lead to this fine event being completely overshadowed by Rory's absence.

Lahinch GC will showcase what is best about the county of Clare. That should be the focus now I hope. No player is bigger than the European Tour or golf in general. The Irish Open will do just fine in my opinion. But obviously this no Rory in Lahinch distraction, will not help the reputation of this great championship.

On a side note, ticket sales and much needed revenue for the local economy, could be negatively impacted by Rory's absence. He has done a huge disservice to Irish golf with this provocative decision, that will lead whether we like it or not, to further questions about Rory's nationality and all that.

Very well put. It is a slight to Irish golf and particularly co Clare. Not even his most ardent supporter could defend it. Disgraceful

• Registered Users Posts: 10,685 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

It is understandable why he is not playing to me. He wants to prepare in what he thinks is the best possible way to win a Major in his own place. Who would not do that. Is it disappointing for the Irish Open yes. Will the media mostly Irish try to play the it's an Irish Open with no Rory yes as it will sell papers and air time. But that is not on Rory that is on the nedia

Extremely OTT reaction in my opinion.

How often does he play 3 weeks in a row? How many times has he won a major by playing the week before?

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

I'm not a big Rory fan bot but would ye all calm down lads. It was clear as day he wasn't going to play this tournament ages ago, about the time when he asked the ET to swap it with the Scottish open and that didn't happen.

The lad single handily put the Irish Open back on the map, got it into the Rolex Series, so at this stage he has well paid back his dues to Irish golf.
    He's welcome to take a year away from it if it wants, if he thinks that what he needs to do to win a major.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

It would be useful for him to promise to play the Irish open in 2020 to show he still has commitment to the event.

From a fan’s point of view it’s a little disappointing, but not too much. He is right, he will be playing in front of mostly Irish fans 2 weeks later.

From his point of view, I don’t know why he thinks it will effect his preparation, am I right in thinking he is usually free by Saturday to spend the day on the practice range.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,394 ✭✭✭Trampas

The European tour has made numerous changes to suit the big boys. To move events to suit Rory or any player is wrong in my opinion

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Bit of an emotive response but I can see where you're coming from.
    I think there needs be some perspective shown, the Irish Open was on it's last knees and could very easily had fallen away like many English tournaments except for Rory's direct involvement and Rolex association so we need to take that into account to balance his 2019 choice.

Rory has a brutal record on Irish Links Opens so I personally doubt he will miss it.

Paul has made some quite remarkable comments on Rory in recent times so I agree there's an element of that.

Lahinch numbers will be hit by the Open in Portrush a lot more than by Rory's absence, I doubt his absence will have any material impact on numbers...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Disappointing but not unexpected to hear really. Never came down to play in th South either so was looking forward to seeing how he got on around lahinch.

Hopefully a few more big names will participate in the event but regardless I still think we will have great crowds in lahinch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭techdiver

I don't buy the excuse. If he was worried about playing 3 weeks in a row, why not skip the Scottish Open instead?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I don't think playing 3 weeks in a row is a big ask for an athlete, especially as they are so geographically close

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

backspin. wrote: »
    It would be useful for him to promise to play the Irish open in 2020 to show he still has commitment to the event.

I think this is a great point, the fact that he hasn't come out and said this seems like he is never going to play it if it continues to fall 3 weeks before The Open.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

slave1 wrote: »
    I don't think playing 3 weeks in a row is a big ask for an athlete, especially as they are so geographically close

And he is usually out by Saturday anyway! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

I think this decision is more about his relationship with Paul McGinley than anything else.
    A pity though, but I dont think anyone can criticise what he has done for the Irish Open. He kept it going when it was on its knees

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Dbu wrote:
    I think this decision is more about his relationship with Paul McGinley than anything else.

I doubt that. These guys are professionals juggling global playing schedules, sponsor commitments and practice/physical demands in a highly competitive environment. It is unlikely something as minor as a personal relationship would play much if any part in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭seanl77

This will sound terrible, but I'm personally delighted he isn't playing. Heading down for the weekend, and won't have to listen to all things Rory! I genuinely used to support him, but this constant self propelled PR disaster that his career has become has turned me the complete opposite direction. Lahinch will be just fine without him, same as the Olympics, honda classic, bmw pga championship etc

seanl77 wrote: »
    This will sound terrible, but I'm personally delighted he isn't playing. Heading down for the weekend, and won't have to listen to all things Rory! I genuinely used to support him, but this constant self propelled PR disaster that his career has become has turned me the complete opposite direction. Lahinch will be just fine without him, same as the Olympics, honda classic, bmw pga championship etc

If other top names take the same decision as Rory it will not be fine and you could see it not being a Rolex event again (how long have they committed to Irish Open being a Rolex?) in the future.

The BMW has turned into a second string event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Outside of the 4 majors , players pick where/when they play. It’s not like Rory has rarely played the Irish open.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement