Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TFI Leap Card Guide & FAQ (Updated Jan 2020)

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Collie D wrote: »
    Same if your employer changes the 3rd party agent they use for annual passes.

So presumably its tied to whoever does the actual order. Sounds like a very, very simple thing to fix.

I now need to remember to change over physical card next weekend, sounds quite simple but not the easiest thing to remember when tired at 8am!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

You gotta remember the back office system for leap, is an off the shelf solution. It may sound like it needs minor change, but they can have big charges against them making those things cost prohibitive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I bought a Dublin City Bus 5 Day Rambler there through the website. Under collection, it says 'Leap Top-Up App' which is what I selected.

The email says

Important Notes:
    • Top Up Travel Credit and/or Travel Tickets purchased before 10pm is normally available for collection by 8am the following day.

Will it kick in over night, then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

I bought a Dublin City Bus 5 Day Rambler there through the website. Under collection, it says 'Leap Top-Up App' which is what I selected.

The email says

Important Notes:
    • Top Up Travel Credit and/or Travel Tickets purchased before 10pm is normally available for collection by 8am the following day.

Will it kick in over night, then?

Should do. You'll need to scan your card on the app to collect it though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I thought you could buy them through the App now? So you don't need to order it via the website.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Should do. You'll need to scan your card on the app to collect it though.

Thanks, yeah the ticket was there when I checked via NFC yesterday morning. Was on 4 buses yesterday, all grand.
    I thought you could buy them through the App now? So you don't need to order it via the website.

Yeah, there's a payment option. For the likes of cinema tickets, etc, I've tended to stick to PC in the past. Will try the app next time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Does anybody know if the Luas ticket machines dispense change of €50 ? I need to top up my leap card, but am not doing so by the full €50 amount and have no other change on me at present. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭wench

GBX wrote: »
    Does anybody know if the Luas ticket machines dispense change of €50 ? I need to top up my leap card, but am not doing so by the full €50 amount and have no other change on me at present. Thanks
    If you're topping up by €30 it should be fine, any less and it can't accept the €50

• Registered Users Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭GBX

wench wrote: »
    If you're topping up by €30 it should be fine, any less and it can't accept the €50

Great, thanks!

GBX wrote: »
    Great, thanks!

Your change will usually be in coins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 FBWT

Looks like I've lost my leap card! Was loaded with a monthly ticket. Anyone know if I request a replacement will my monthly ticket be on the new card, or will I have to load it again?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Officially, Leap is now the only(*) way to purchase daily, weekly or monthly tickets in Galway, Cork, Limerick or Waterford.

Announced here: https://www.buseireann.ie/news_timetable.php?id=3349&month=Mar

Although I did see someone purchase a Day-saver ticket for cash on a Galway city bus on Tuesday.

(*) apart from TaxSaver, which isn't available to everyone.

They should've gone one step further and eliminated cash fares altogether, or only sell them in shops etc.

Would speed up boarding times in Cork massively.

They should've gone one step further and eliminated cash fares altogether, or only sell them in shops etc.

Would speed up boarding times in Cork massively.

Should be the other way around. Fare capping in Dublin should be making ramblers products irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

NTA have appointed a contractor for new mobile ticketing roll out, same crowd who are replacing the god awful NY Metrocard with tap and go payment.

https://www.transportforireland.ie/nta-appoint-contractor-for-mobile-ticketing-system/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Qrt

NTA have appointed a contractor for new mobile ticketing roll out, same crowd who are replacing the god awful NY Metrocard with tap and go payment.

https://www.transportforireland.ie/nta-appoint-contractor-for-mobile-ticketing-system/

I do hope we won’t end up with two different systems (mobile and physical card) like the way Manchester ended up.

Tim Gaston quoted in that article was one of the main guys in the initial launch of leap. It seems like over all it may be the same service, just a different medium. But that article doesn't mention Leap by name at all.

Wonder if the NTA will acknowledge counties outside of Dublin in this. Nowhere outside of Dublin has Leap 90, etc. It's a joke. The whole country's transport systems should be fully integrated. The ad on the NTA's site only demonstrates Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

Wonder if the NTA will acknowledge counties outside of Dublin in this. Nowhere outside of Dublin has Leap 90, etc. It's a joke. The whole country's transport systems should be fully integrated. The ad on the NTA's site only demonstrates Dublin.

"The service will be rolled out on a pilot basis on certain Bus Éireann regional routes later this year, with further routes to be added on a phased basis."

Could it be becuase outside of Dublin, theres less chances of multi modal journeys? It was also used to soften the blow of removing the travel90 ticket from Dublin Bus.

• Advertisement

Could it be becuase outside of Dublin, theres less chances of multi modal journeys? It was also used to soften the blow of removing the travel90 ticket from Dublin Bus.

What makes you think there's less multi modal journeys? In the likes of Cork, I often need to take two buses, or a bus and a commuter train. We have a commuter line (albeit smaller than Dublin's) and bus routes that often need a change of bus to get you to your destination.

I find it strange and very unfair that there's also no daily cap on BE city services. At the very least, they should allow it to cap at the daily ticket charge (€5.40 or so) if you reach that amount.

In Cork, you've got zonal period tickets for Bus Eireann. You should be able to purchase a ticket on the bus. There's no fare capping on any Bus Eireann services anywhere. So Cork isn't being left out. But, Irish Rail should have fare capping when using credit in Cork. Or at least it did, when Leap was initially brought in there. As it's not restricted by region. The card doesn't know where it is. Just that it's using credit with an operator. I'd expect that's why there's no capping on Bus Eireann.

Forget capping so and introduce timed tickets like nearly every other European country. €1.50 here in Florence gets you 90 mins travel.

So? that's not what leap is for. It's just a medium for payment via credit, or validating/holding tickets. It's not there to stipulate the pricing or services provided by operators.

So? that's not what leap is for. It's just a medium for payment via credit, or validating/holding tickets. It's not there to stipulate the pricing or services provided by operators.

Leap can be used for such services, like timed ticketing, i.e unlimited travel for 90 mins, currently I would say it's underused. The technology is there.

Leap can be used for such services, like timed ticketing, i.e unlimited travel for 90 mins, currently I would say it's underused. The technology is there.

It's not there to tell other people how to run their services and set their ticketing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,225 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Sorry if the information is here somewhere, but I haven't been able to find it.

I have a Leap Card and use the Android Top Up app, linked to a debit card that I have since cancelled.

I see no option to add or remove payment cards on the app.

I went to LeapCard.ie and was able to remove the old card, but I cannot see how to add a new one.

Any suggestions?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Sorry if the information is here somewhere, but I haven't been able to find it.

I have a Leap Card and use the Android Top Up app, linked to a debit card that I have since cancelled.

I see no option to add or remove payment cards on the app.

I went to LeapCard.ie and was able to remove the old card, but I cannot see how to add a new one.

Any suggestions?

Try deleting the app and reinstalling it maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,225 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

G_R wrote:
    Try deleting the app and reinstalling it maybe?

Have done that twice and it's still requesting PIN from old card.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Have done that twice and it's still requesting PIN from old card.

Not too sure then. I've just tried playing around with it there on my phone and I couldn't see a way. Sorry I wasn't more help!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement