Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clare GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Dickie9

Niallers87 wrote: »
    Haha that's a bad a wind up attempt as i have heard!!!

Lads are over reacting a small bit here, it's still only the middle of February, stil time to improve

shur look at forward line same players coming good again u take Kelly Conlan out what forwards are there???

same with defence constantly opened every attempt cork could Ave 3+ goals scored as for the goalie IL say no more Ronan Taffee or Andrew fahy should Ave been Givin a chance

I know it's only February thank god :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,001 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

In fairness Cork always beat us, they have something over us. On the frees I don't agree all of them were frees, there was some very soft ones. Discipline is a big issue but I thought the ref was poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,001 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Dickie9 wrote: »
    shur look at forward line same players coming good again u take Kelly Conlan out what forwards are there???

same with defence constantly opened every attempt cork could Ave 3+ goals scored as for the goalie IL say no more Ronan Taffee or Andrew fahy should Ave been Givin a chance

Galvin got 5 from play.

I'm afraid our woeful discipline will never get right it seems. Our S&C coach is a fraud. Looked dead on their feet once Cork got motoring. Very very worrying times ahead for the Clare senior hurlers indeed. Donal and Gerry and the management team have to take a long look at yourselves. Unacceptable performance really bar Ian Galvin, Tony Kelly and the evergreen John Conlon. Not happy at all, as this will be the team that will take to the Munster championship fields and looked so out of shape in the end. A short league and championship awaits I'm afraid.

there Going on team based on form....wtf....Malone is no wing back....David mac needs to be Centre back.....

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Niallers87

:rolleyes:

Duggan, o'donnell, shanagher, think you might be forgetting Ian galvin too

• Advertisement

:rolleyes:

Duggan, o'donnell, shanagher, think you might be forgetting Ian galvin too

yep very true what about defence???

Conor McGrath wen he comes back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Donald Trumped

Haha that's a bad a wind up attempt as i have heard!!!

Lads are over reacting a small bit here, it's still only the middle of February, stil time to improve

I just get the impression that there is more for Cork to improve than Clare. Cork were missing Darragh Fitzgibbon, Mark Coleman et al. On the other hand Donal and Gerry set out their stall by playing the best available 15 to them in the league.

I honestly think that things are a bit flat in Clare hurling right now. Heavy beatings at underage in both inter-county and schools hurling and bar Diarmuid Ryan and Aidan McCarthy, the conveyor belt is running on empty.

The match itself will rightly point out to Clare's indiscipline but really the loss of this match came in the 1st half when will a gale behind us, we went back to the dressing rooms level.

Anyways even though its only February I still feel that we are lacking in the physical stakes hugely. I also feel that things are stale under the current management. Who knows they may turn it around, but to me the other top teams have a bit more in the locker. The Wexicans come to town in Ennis on Sunday week. Failure to finish in the top 4 will mean no hurling for the Clare senior hurlers from the 3rd of March to mid-May. To say that will be poor preparation for Clare come championship, would be an understatement.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 AnthonyOD1987

Conor McGrath wen he comes back

is mcgrath not gone of the panel for this year?

There is an issue with defence, Patrick O'Connor, seadhna Morey and Jamie shanahan, still to come back plus oisin O'Brien, that's three starters from last year and a started from 2017, so wouldn't go blowing my beans just yet

• Advertisement

Same Clare like should Ave won munster last year very hard to watch.....should Ave beaten galway last year should Ave beaten cork 2day very hard to watch like we're not that far away from been the top team in the country tbh

is mcgrath not gone of the panel for this year?

He is currently not part of the panel as he is focusing on his studies, I do believe he is due back after the league

I know it's only February and the league but Clare should have been home and hosed by half time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Donald Trumped

He is currently not part of the panel as he is focusing on his studies, I do believe he is due back after the league

Don't forget Shane O'Donnell too along with David Reidy also yet to return. Seadna Morey, I believe is back training and perhaps may play a role in the next two weeks against Wexford and Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭letowski

Davys Fits wrote: »
    Fouling is a problem in Clare and club hurling is the source of it. Its difficult then to try and rid this from your intercounty team. There seems to be an instinct to foul when beaten when one on one and its suffocating the Clare game.

It's a very good point, often games in the county championship are decided by who has the better freetaker. Clare are way too grabby in the tackle, it's going to take a while to get out of this bad habit. 15 points conceded was crazy.

I thought on balance we were the better team, slightly. Things like the Duggan's missed frees, the fortuitous goal and the Kelly wide incorrectly(?) called by the umpire went against us. Even with that said, it was another poor game, no pace or physicality in it at all. Alot of Clare players went out of the game in the second half, most notably our wing forwards, while Golden didn't play well. Ian Galvin was superb in that roaming forward role, but at the expense of Podge who played closer to goal.. ie. they are both vying for that role, nobody has put in a strong claim for SOD's jersey yet.

Backs over all were ok, discipline shocking as mentioned. Cleary and Malone did fine on Harnedy and Lehane, all four of those players didn't hurl much ball, actually Clare were able to do a good job in closing down the space the, just inexplicable discipline cost us. McInerney did well on Walsh. Hayes and Fitz were a little better, Hayes settled after the yellow early on.

I just get the impression that there is more for Cork to improve than Clare. Cork were missing Darragh Fitzgibbon, Mark Coleman et al. On the other hand Donal and Gerry set out their stall by playing the best available 15 to them in the league.

I honestly think that things are a bit flat in Clare hurling right now. Heavy beatings at underage in both inter-county and schools hurling and bar Diarmuid Ryan and Aidan McCarthy, the conveyor belt is running on empty.

The match itself will rightly point out to Clare's indiscipline but really the loss of this match came in the 1st half when will a gale behind us, we went back to the dressing rooms level.

Anyways even though its only February I still feel that we are lacking in the physical stakes hugely. I also feel that things are stale under the current management. Who knows they may turn it around, but to me the other top teams have a bit more in the locker. The Wexicans come to town in Ennis on Sunday week. Failure to finish in the top 4 will mean no hurling for the Clare senior hurlers from the 3rd of March to mid-May. To say that will be poor preparation for Clare come championship, would be an understatement.

Agreed, the longer Cork stayed in the game, the less confidence I had in us pushing on. I get that same feeling about us being flat. Last year I think the form of Duggan and Conlon emerging as leaders really drove us on along with tigerish workrate without being badly disciplined. There was a hunger there too, I worry last year might have taken alot of that desire out of us. This year it doesn't look like anybody new is stepping up and being a dominant hurler. I know this is an unpopular opinion, but we don't have good half backs that can impose themselves and dominate on that line. Players like Cleary, Malone, Seadna, Shanahan are average players, we don't have a Hannon, Mannion, Buckley, Maher, DeBurca, Coleman, etc, etc. that can drive us on from the half back line.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

constant fouling anytime Clare went 1 up they gave cheap handy frees away

Typical Clare performance against Cork in many ways. A good start lots of play but then leave Cork in it with dumb decisions and absolutely ridiculous fouls. The backs are too close to their men and then foul when they are turned. Malone and Fitzgerald are a shambles. It's very disappointing really. If Cork had half the talent of that Clare team they'd beat everyone by 10 points. Clare just don't have the hurling IQ.
    Peter Duggan is a scorer of great frees but he's not a great free taker. The guy misses at least 2 sitters of frees every game. What good is that to anyone? His technique is suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Figerty

letowski wrote: »
    Agreed, the longer Cork stayed in the game, the less confidence I had in us pushing on. I get that same feeling about us being flat. Last year I think the form of Duggan and Conlon emerging as leaders really drove us on along with tigerish workrate without being badly disciplined. There was a hunger there too, I worry last year might have taken alot of that desire out of us. This year it doesn't look like anybody new is stepping up and being a dominant hurler. I know this is an unpopular opinion, but we don't have good half backs that can impose themselves and dominate on that line. Players like Cleary, Malone, Seadna, Shanahan are average players, we don't have a Hannon, Mannion, Buckley, Maher, DeBurca, Coleman, etc, etc. that can drive us on from the half back line.

5 of our backs lost their discipline today. Only Cleary held is head, and with Pat Horgan hitting frees we got suckered into leaving hands in, wrapping around bodies and making easy for a ref who didn't have his best day out.

David Fitzgerald look like he was going to loose the plot.
    McInerney looked ragged at times.
    Hayes could have got the line for the pull on the corner forwards heel.
    Malone, works hard, buy he makes it look hard. Wing backs are meant to be smooth operators.
    Jack Browne got caught early and was on the back foot.

Horgan scored 15 frees... say it again 15 frees......

Figerty wrote:
    5 of our backs lost their discipline today. Only Cleary held is head, and with Pat Horgan hitting frees we got suckered into leaving hands in, wrapping around bodies and making easy for a ref who didn't have his best day out.

38 points (2-32) from frees conceded in the first 3 games is something else. Its a major worry, we have had seasons like this before and have not being able to fix discipline come championship. The longer this issue remains the more worried I'd get.

Duggan on the other hand isnt fixing his concentration issues with the frees. I've an awful feeling he is going to miss a few more gimmes come summertime. That said, as BloodyBill posted, his technique isn't fluid, his body twists too much and his swing is high. Too much margin for error.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Horgan scored what .. 0-15 from frees tonight .... kevin kelly scored 1-14 from placed balls two wees ago serious worry now at this stage

Our level of tackling is atrocious we are in serious trouble if we cant sort it out before the championship starts

Forwards were excellent bar duggan defense was terrible bar Cleary , we are a dangerous side if we can sort out the discipline , taught ian galvin was excellent along with Kelly ,lots of work to do between now and may though

Good Clare crowd down for a saturday night game taught there was alot more in attendance then what was anounced below , a game i wont be watching it back in a hurry ...move on !

• Advertisement

Figerty wrote: »
    letowski wrote: »

David Fitzgerald look like he was going to loose the plot.
    McInerney looked ragged at times.
    Hayes could have got the line for the pull on the corner forwards heel.
    Malone, works hard, buy he makes it look hard. Wing backs are meant to be smooth operators.
    Jack Browne got caught early and was on the back foot.

Horgan scored 15 frees... say it again 15 frees......

I reckon browne shou have been sent off twice , while cathal malone had another average game yet keeping one of the best players in the country completely out of the game

We might be on to somthing with malone afrer all .....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Lads lads lads ye should be beating Cork. That was a poor display. You should have Cork beaten out the park. Can't see you in an All Ireland final until you sort out your back line. Cork destroyed you there and that's not good. Back to the drawing board I would reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Amprodude wrote: »
    Lads lads lads ye should be beating Cork. That was a poor display. You should have Cork beaten out the park. Can't see you in an All Ireland final until you sort out your back line. Cork destroyed you there and that's not good. Back to the drawing board I would reckon?

Those issues that will be sorted out come Championship time hopefully. The backs need to get back to defending with patience and guile. And there might be a change in personnel but Clare will be there or thereabouts I think. I'd bring back Shane-a Morey fairly rapidly. There's time to try out options now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Gael85

Sigerson cup final medals for Eimhin Courtney and Conal OHainifin with UCC.

Gael85 wrote: »
    Sigerson cup final medals for Eimhin Courtney and Conal OHainifin with UCC.

Courtney had an excellent campagain he scored in every round bar the final , o hainifin did score in the final , cant believe how this was seen to be a shock result given just how good sean o'shea is playing at the moment ,

Clare side to face kildare on sunday , one change see's cathal o connor come back into the side , dale masterson and conal o hainifin have been excellent newcomers to the panel this year , we probably wont see eoin Cleary line out this week either as it might be a week too soon , hopfully the yank sean o'donohue gets a few minutes he is a serious tallent

Alan flynn is in the kildare corner this year after doing excellent work with us last year , the win in cork on st patricks night had his name written all over it ,
    We are in really good form at the moment this is a winable game but there usally is never any more then a point or two between the sides when they meet , should be a good battle again sunday

Amprodude wrote: »

February not june lad. Yeah loads to work on but shadow boxing at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Conco14

Sort of off topic lads, but does anybody have a clue when the new Clare jersey's coming out? O'Neill's has said it's coming for a while now, and I don't wanna buy the 16/17 one if there's one about to be released next week or something.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Conco14 wrote: »
    Sort of off topic lads, but does anybody have a clue when the new Clare jersey's coming out? O'Neill's has said it's coming for a while now, and I don't wanna buy the 16/17 one if there's one about to be released next week or something.

New kit is usually released at the end of the league just before the championship

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement