Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Serenity (2018)

• 07-06-2018 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,443 ✭✭✭✭

Nothing to do with Firefly. It's a new thriller with Matthew McConaughey and Anne Hathaway. Looks brooding and mysterious. Not sure if I like the look of it or not, but the trailer is stylish.

Out in October.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,752 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Steven Knight (Peaky Blinders, Locke and Eastern Promises) wrote and directs

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

balls.....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,900 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

jacksie66 wrote: »
    You bastard. Got my hopes up there for a second.....

my thoughts exactly, really got my hopes up !! I was thinking reboot or not, great stuff !! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 84,752 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Matthew McConaughey and Anne Hathaway’s latest movie Serenity is one of three upcoming films that has been acquired by Sky Cinema Original Films.
    The acquisition will see the films released in cinemas and on Sky Cinema on the same day.

https://www.entertainment-focus.com/film-section/film-news/sky-cinema-original-films-acquires-matthew-mcconaugheys-serenity-and-two-more-movies/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Sky Cinema getting it on same day usually means it's 'straight to DVD' type quality. Example Hurricane Heist and Anon

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

• Registered Users Posts: 19,900 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Unearthly wrote: »
    Sky Cinema getting it on same day usually means it's 'straight to DVD' type quality. Example Hurricane Heist and Anon

unusual for those two actors being involved in a straight to DVD type film !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

2smiggy wrote: »
    unusual for those two actors being involved in a straight to DVD type film !

The script probably didn't read like a straight to DVD affair in the casting process tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

This is "available" now online...do NOT waste your time on this horrible film. It is so, so bad. It is absolutely awful, and an early contender for worst film of 2019. The McConaissance is well and truly over.
    The best plot twists plant seeds and hints before the big reveal, but the plot twist in Serenity is such an insane left turn that it doesn't work as a rug-pull. It doesn't make the viewer scream out, "Oh my God!" in excitement; it makes them groan, "Huh...?" in confusion. The twist is
    that Matthew McConaugheys character has been dead the whole time and he's actually living in a video game being played by his sadistic son.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

This is "available" now online...do NOT waste your time on this horrible film. It is so, so bad. It is absolutely awful, and an early contender for worst film of 2019. The McConaissance is well and truly over.
    I read that spoiler and all it has done is made me want to watch a movie I had no interest in watching before I read it. Cheers Frank! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,443 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Wait, what? I now want to watch it too. That sounds bonkers! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

473648.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Watch at your own peril. Until the twist, it's a terrible, cheesy, neo-noir thriller (even includes domestic abuse, like some over-the-top 90's thrillers), then after the twist it makes even less sense...it changes the film into a completely different genre, and that genre is handled very badly. I like watching films that are "so-bad-it's-good", but this was not enjoyable even as that.

The film's distributor spent very little on advertising following poor test screenings. Because it stinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Someone's watching too much Black Mirror.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭Shelga

I watched it last night, I can confirm it's utterly dire :pac:

But I would disagree with the last poster, in that I do think it's got a 'so-bad-it's -kinda-good' thing going on. I would never pay to watch it in a cinema though.

How on earth did McConaughey and Hathaway sign up to this after reading the script?? And the twist is truly as bad as it sounds, but added to the cringey hilarity for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭corkie

I maybe in the minority here, but I actually liked it, story had me hooked from the beginning and kept my interest to watch it all.

I thought is a good psychological drama, had me hooked (pun intended) from the beginning. Nice to see Anne Hathaway (https://www.themoviedb.org/person/1813-anne-hathaway?language=en-US) playing a mature role for a change.

"He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round perdition's flames before I give him up!" - Khan quoting Moby Dick (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Our Saturday night was just stolen. Last night of the mid term, and squandered on this turd.

This is one of the worst films I've watched in a very long time. An absolute stinker.
    Abysmal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Absolute nonsense ... wasn’t too bad until the last 10 mins...destroyed anything I’d watched previously

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭Jude13

If Hathaway had not been smoking in it I would have never finished it. Laugh out loud bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Absolute rubbish watched it the other night :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Looking at the thread title and reading the reviews of this.

IllegalDismalLamb-size_restricted.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Watched it last weekend. What a load of rubbish :(
    2 hours of my life I wont get back :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

"This isn't just a car-crash, it is a car-crash in the middle of tornado, with a tsunami approaching in the background, while everyone around nods in agreement about how profound and amazing it is."

With "Oscar show attendee Jason Clarke"...
    Spot on review from joe.ie. Too late though for many.

https://www.joe.ie/movies-tv/serenity-review-660560

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Whehey!

SerDIRTidy

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Jamemid

How did this muck actually get made. Like how did anyone read that script and think it would be good. Worst film I've watched in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Started watching this without knowing much about it. After about 5 minutes I was thinking I'd be watching a movie where he's trying to catch the fish and I was happy with that. Oh but how wrong I was as it quickly went from bad to worse to absolute dogsh*t.

Advertisement