Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish rail in a United Ireland

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

L1011 wrote: »
    I asked you what paths you'd magic up for your mixed stopping/express service to Clonsilla and you suggested loops

You can't even remember what you've suggested in this "plan"

But I never mentioned anything about Express or stopping services for the Maynooth line. As I said, read my posts fully before you comment as you seem to be confusing yourself.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

IE 222 wrote: »
    But I never mentioned anything about Express or stopping services for the Maynooth line. As I said, read my posts fully before you comment as you seem to be confusing yourself.
    Running 2900 services between Connolly and Clonsilla non stop and letting Dart do everything in between will benefit all.

A I said, you can't even remember what you've posted on this back-of-a-fag-packet "plan". I'm not confused about anything - but you clearly are!

You do not understand the costs involved and seem to be thinking up bits and pieces on the fly. It's a bad idea and would cost far more than you think it would.

dowlingm wrote: »
    The Clonsilla-M3 alignment, as I recall it, had not only the problems of Meath County Council flinging down sewers in inconvenient places, but also Ratoath and Dunshaughlin fighting over which the alignment would serve, and then the crash happened.

There is also issues with the alignment crossing the M3 as far as I know and the fact the M3 is privately owned is hampering issues as well as the state needing to subsidise the toll bridges for any short comings.

Like you said, the alignment is likely to change to cater for Dunshaughlin and Ratoath with a better alignment. There is also the issue of parts of the original alignment having been built on since its been closed which if the same reason from phase 1 means the state had to buy the land back after CIE sold parts off it after its closure.

The realistic cost or prospect of this line been built are questionable.

A I said, you can't even remember what you've posted on this back-of-a-fag-packet "plan". I'm not confused about anything - but you clearly are!

You do not understand the costs involved and seem to be thinking up bits and pieces on the fly. It's a bad idea and would cost far more than you think it would.

I thought you were talking about Navan services but yes nothing stopping Maynooth services running non stop between Clonsilla - Connolly once Dart is implemented on the line. Sligo services currently do it. Drogheada, Dundalk, Belfast and Rosslare services do it on current Dart routes albeit they don't run at 100mph but it happens.

With the right structure, planning and scheduling in place diverting Dart off the main line and onto M3 line at clonsilla will definitely help free paths. You also have Newcome jct route to help alleviate the Connolly bottle neck. Realistically the only mixed traffic part of the line should be between Glasnevin and Clonsilla and with good scheduling in place a service to Maynooth or beyond should get a good run in that case.

As I said in other posts the cost of the Navan extension is going to increase and the likelihood of the line been realigned towards Ratoath anyway is not going to make extending to Navan cheaper than building a few extra kilometres to Ashbounre instead. This will also allow a second park and ride facility for the line to serve the N2.

Shifting the electrification work between Clonsilla and Maynooth to Ashbounre instead will have a marginal difference.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I thought you were talking about Navan services

How? At no point did I mention Navan, and every single mention involved Clonsilla.

With the right structure, planning and scheduling in place diverting Dart off the main line and onto M3 line at clonsilla will definitely help free paths.

How? What changes to line structure - and at what cost?
    You also have Newcome jct route to help alleviate the Connolly bottle neck

Can only run to P7 - or are you proposing more track and signalling work at even more cost?
    This will also allow a second park and ride facility for the line to serve the N2.

More cost being thrown in late in the "plan"!

Shifting the electrification work between Clonsilla and Maynooth to Ashbounre instead will have a marginal difference.

Except for the fact that the design work is already underway - this isn't some notional thing that'll happen in the future. There are sunk costs already.

You had a relatively bad idea and are now digging deeper and deeper and deeper to try justify it - and actually making the potential costs even further beyond what there is budgeted for the plans you want to change.

If you were suggesting this as something to do with additional funding; its still a relatively bad idea. But to claim that it could be done for the budgeted costs of Maynooth electrification + Navan is insanity.

• Advertisement

How? At no point did I mention Navan, and every single mention involved Clonsilla.

How? What changes to line structure - and at what cost?

Can only run to P7 - or are you proposing more track and signalling work at even more cost?

More cost being thrown in late in the "plan"!

Except for the fact that the design work is already underway - this isn't some notional thing that'll happen in the future. There are sunk costs already.

You had a relatively bad idea and are now digging deeper and deeper and deeper to try justify it - and actually making the potential costs even further beyond what there is budgeted for the plans you want to change.

If you were suggesting this as something to do with additional funding; its still a relatively bad idea. But to claim that it could be done for the budgeted costs of Maynooth electrification + Navan is insanity.

We were initially discussing loops and anytime I was talking about looping I was doing so in reference to the Northern line were I was proposing the Navan line should run.

No changes required, that's the beauty of it. The infrastructure is already there. A Dart moves off and clears the main line at Clonsilla and Maynooth or beyond services uses Newcome Jct.

P7 is perfect. Use it as a turn back platform for Maynooth services or during peak run some onto GCD. Docklands can also take some peak time services as well.

Not a massive cost increase but it will pay for itself in the long run. A station will obviously need to be built. Its just a case of finding a location that can serve both Ashboure and the N2 while catering for a park and ride. I'd imagine any new station been built anywhere would provide car parking of some sort anyway so I can't see adding an extra few 100 or so breaking the bank.

Plans change and get pulled regardless of sunk costs. The sunk costs haven't provided anything physical yet and parts of them will likely be out of date and redone by the time this happens.

I don't see how I'm digging or adding cost on. It's a simple plan that looks beyond were a and what type of train runs too.

I'd argue that your short sighted vision misses and fails to look beyond how Dart will effect the Maynooth line. You also seem to fail to recognize the proposed Navan service will congest the line further. Future frequency increase to Mulligar, Longford and Sligo are highly likely. This is all planned for a section of line that is restricted in growth potential due to the lack of land available to add loops or treble tracking, even though it will probably require quad tracking. All this will result in is slower services, longer commutes beyond Maynooth and congestion worse than the Northern line.

The Northern line is ripe for quad tracking and it's only a matter of time before this happens. Its also has a direct rail link to Navan in place already which requires a very limited number of upgrade works to implement it too passenger services. It has passing loops in place and can offer connections to Belfast ect and possibly a future link to the airport. As this line is already a premeant way it rules out any excessive CPO costs also.

We were initially discussing loops and anytime I was talking about looping I was doing so in reference to the Northern line were I was proposing the Navan line should run.

Only by completely and utterly misinterpreting what you'd been asked, repeatedly, despite clarification; and indeed forgetting that you had specifically posted about Connolly-Clonsilla.

The rest of your reply is rambling all over the place. One major issue is that you don't quite understand that Maynooth is getting electrified. The plans won't need changing because they'll be going straight to ABP.

You are basically further proving with every single post just how bad your idea is.

The Maynooth line will already be electrified before they even begin to look at Navan again, thankfully; so back of fag packet ideas thinking that there'd be a significant saving cutting it back and spending that imagined saving many times over can be safely ignored as rambling fantasies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

yes nothing stopping Maynooth services running non stop between Clonsilla - Connolly once Dart is implemented on the line.
    Despite all the nonsense on this thread, I thought this was a good idea and providing a commuter style service on the Maynooth line rather than DART. Instead of terminating at Maynooth, it could be looked at extending to Kilcock and perhaps a new M4 Parkway Station off junction 8. A second Maynooth station to the east of the town off the proposed ring road on that side of the town serving new developments is something else that could be considered in future as well. It should take a significant number of cars off the M4.

Maynooth *has* a "commuter style service" which is grossly inadequate. The track geography basically means speed improvements are not possible without use of electric traction and the associated increased acceleration (and regenerative braking)

It is going to need 10 minute peak and 20 minute other time clockface DART within a few years just with the current planned housing developments, let alone what will be built along the ring road. And DART is what it is getting (albeit I suspect they'll under-serve it)

Only by completely and utterly misinterpreting what you'd been asked, repeatedly, despite clarification; and indeed forgetting that you had specifically posted about Connolly-Clonsilla.

The rest of your reply is rambling all over the place. One major issue is that you don't quite understand that Maynooth is getting electrified. The plans won't need changing because they'll be going straight to ABP.

You are basically further proving with every single post just how bad your idea is.

The Maynooth line will already be electrified before they even begin to look at Navan again, thankfully; so back of fag packet ideas thinking that there'd be a significant saving cutting it back and spending that imagined saving many times over can be safely ignored as rambling fantasies.

Ok so, well I fail to see were these drastic cost increases are coming from or how it's such a wild fantasy idea.

Curtailing a line roughly 30km instead of the orignal plan, which is most likely going to have to be redrawn up on new "virgin ground" alignments in large parts, and upgrading a current rail line is going cost more than the funding for electrifying Clonsilla - Maynooth and extending the line from M3 to Navan.

The line to M3 will be electrified as part of the Maynooth plans. The physical infrastructure costs will be marginal if there even is a difference between electrifying Clonsilla - Maynooth or M3 - Ashbounre.

Altering a plan to redirect a planned rail route with a catchment of 30,000 onto a line that's already in existence in order to serve a further 25,000 is a bad and costly idea in you're eyes.

Try looking beyond electrification. Putting Dart out to Maynooth is only going to create issues in the long term as proven on other sections of the network but if you want to believe otherwise so be it.

Wexford and Northern line services suffer from been held behind a Dart. Clonsilla offers the opportunity of diverting Dart off the main line which in turn allows a clear path for faster services to Maynooth. Newcome Jct. also helps reduce the conflict zone by half.

Mixed traffic only works in short sections. Having slow stopping services within a nearly 20 mile section with no overtaking is going to lead to problems as can be seen on other shorter sections of the network elsewhere where Dart is used. By using Clonsilla and Glasnevin Jct. it reduces the mixed traffic section.

• Advertisement

Wexford and Northern line services suffer from been held behind a Dart. Clonsilla offers the opportunity of diverting Dart off the main line which in turn allows a clear path for faster services to Maynooth.

DART trains will be significantly faster than diesel trains Clonsilla-Maynooth due to the hugely improved acceleration on an extremely poor alignment. So no, it would be slower, not faster.

Maynooth has significant sidings which will allow DARTs to 'get out of the way' of services beyond, just as 29000s do now - and which Malahide doesn't have which is what I think you are incoherently trying to hint at.

Anyway - your awful idea is irrelevant, as Maynooth will have DART before they even begin to look at Navan again. And the depot will be at Maynooth at that.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

At the risk of significantly derailing a thread that's already been derailed some, If there is a choice between heavy rail or another option for the Ashbourne area, as a resident of the area, and knowing the local geography quite well, I would have to express a strong preference for a LUAS style service along the line of the old N2, also serving the Thornton Hall area, with a link into the Airport, and then onward into Finglas to join up with the existing LUAS structure. At some stage, there will be significant extra development at the western end of the airport, very close to the line that a link from Ashbourne would take, so it would be a natural development in that area, and ease the pressure on other services at the Eastern end of the complex.

The costs of putting a LUAS on to the old N2 would be much lower, the road structure is wide enough to accommodate the track works needed, and still retain the road route, and the transit time to both the airport and Finglas and onward to Dublin would be preferable to having to go across to M3 via Ratoath and Dunshaughlin to then return towards Dublin. I suspect that there might also be interest from Tayto Park in having access to such a service, and they for sure get enough visitors to justify something like this.

I am well aware that the eventual use of Thornton Hall site is not determined, there were plans to put the new prison and a new campus for the Central Mental Hospital there, but both of those options seem to have been long fingered, and the CMH are now apparently saying that the reserved site for them is now not big enough.

Totally off thread, it would seem to me to that Thornton Hall would have been the perfect site for a new super hospital to provide all the services that would have been part of the James's complex, but that's a thread for another time and place, and unfortunately, we don't have people with the level of vision and commitment to make such a project happen.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Despite all the nonsense on this thread, I thought this was a good idea and providing a commuter style service on the Maynooth line rather than DART. Instead of terminating at Maynooth, it could be looked at extending to Kilcock and perhaps a new M4 Parkway Station off junction 8. A second Maynooth station to the east of the town off the proposed ring road on that side of the town serving new developments is something else that could be considered in future as well. It should take a significant number of cars off the M4.

By the time any of this happens Mullingar possibly even Longford would be in need for an hourly service.

DART trains will be significantly faster than diesel trains Clonsilla-Maynooth due to the hugely improved acceleration on an extremely poor alignment. So no, it would be slower, not faster.

Maynooth has significant sidings which will allow DARTs to 'get out of the way' of services beyond, just as 29000s do now - and which Malahide doesn't have which is what I think you are incoherently trying to hint at.

Anyway - your awful idea is irrelevant, as Maynooth will have DART before they even begin to look at Navan again. And the depot will be at Maynooth at that.

Short hop areas yes, there is 2 stations beyond Clonsilla time saving will be minimal. Giving the sharp curvature of the line between Clonsilla and Louisa Bridge Dart will also be speed restricted and I'm not aware if a Dart is permitted to run at its top speed elsewhere on the network.

Maynooth wont be the issue its the section between there and Connolly that will be the bottleneck.

Unfortunately that's the type of attitude that most planners and decision makers have in this country, build it, then ignore and deal with the consequences later. Its clear as day the line is going to become a major bottle neck once its built. Extra trains need on already congested line need extra tracks.

Short hop areas yes, there is 2 stations beyond Clonsilla time saving will be minimal. Giving the sharp curvature of the line between Clonsilla and Louisa Bridge Dart will also be speed restricted and I'm not aware if a Dart is permitted to run at its top speed elsewhere on the network.

Maynooth wont be the issue its the section between there and Connolly that will be the bottleneck.

Unfortunately that's the type of attitude that most planners and decision makers have in this country, build it, then ignore and deal with the consequences later. Its clear as day the line is going to become a major bottle neck once its built. Extra trains need on already congested line need extra tracks.

This entire post is bafflingly confused and realistically makes no sense. Electric trains will be able to take that section of track significantly faster than diesel

Your proposal does not reduce the number of trains on the line and also does not provide extra tracks - so that's a rather trite and pointless final statement.

And as goes attitude - you are the one suggesting crayon redesigns of something already under design and set to go to planning; with the mistaken idea that there'll be changes after design. With that attitude nothing ever gets built.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

At the risk of significantly derailing a thread that's already been derailed some, If there is a choice between heavy rail or another option for the Ashbourne area, as a resident of the area, and knowing the local geography quite well, I would have to express a strong preference for a LUAS style service along the line of the old N2, also serving the Thornton Hall area, with a link into the Airport, and then onward into Finglas to join up with the existing LUAS structure. At some stage, there will be significant extra development at the western end of the airport, very close to the line that a link from Ashbourne would take, so it would be a natural development in that area, and ease the pressure on other services at the Eastern end of the complex.

The costs of putting a LUAS on to the old N2 would be much lower, the road structure is wide enough to accommodate the track works needed, and still retain the road route, and the transit time to both the airport and Finglas and onward to Dublin would be preferable to having to go across to M3 via Ratoath and Dunshaughlin to then return towards Dublin. I suspect that there might also be interest from Tayto Park in having access to such a service, and they for sure get enough visitors to justify something like this.

Would Ashbourne not be a bit far out for a light rail/tram service? I know there is a plan to run the Luas to Bray which is a similar distance to Ashbourne however there is a higher density between Bray and Dublin city centre compared to Ashbourne and this line in my opinion should only be built once the line between Sandyford and Charlemont is converted to Metro grade as the green line at the moment for starters simply does not have the capacity to take extra passengers from the Bray area and the green line is already one of the longest tram lines in Europe.

Generally as a rule of thumb trams are better suited towards high density urban areas on shorter distance services which stop frequently where as heavy rail or metro grade light rail would be better suited towards longer distance suburban or commuter operation. This is why the green line between Charlemont and Sandyford should be converted to metro grade as the line is almost fully segregated from the road while the red line is for most part suited to tram operation.

This entire post is bafflingly confused and realistically makes no sense. Electric trains will be able to take that section of track significantly faster than diesel

Your proposal does not reduce the number of trains on the line and also does not provide extra tracks - so that's a rather trite and pointless final statement.

And as goes attitude - you are the one suggesting crayon redesigns of something already under design and set to go to planning; with the mistaken idea that there'll be changes after design. With that attitude nothing ever gets built.

They may be capable to go faster around the curve but its marginal giving Dart is not exactly a high speed train. Were talking a 1-2 min time saving.

It reduces the number of trains between Clonsilla - Maynooth by Dart vacating the main line at Clonsilla. That's the point, there is no extra running lines been added nor will there be any in the future. The current Dart line is a prime example of what's to come for the Western line.

Nothing crayon about it, its using current infrastructure to its maximum and altering an upgrade plan to do the same work elsewhere.

There is changes to all designs so I wouldn't be using that excuse to think it's set in stone. Once the NCH gets under way these projects will be delayed further. Try looking beyond the short term.

Advertisement