Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bohemian Rhapsody (Freddie Mercury Biopic)

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Well into now. Totally absurd. But fun. Anyone whosever played in a band knows how stupid this is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

This film could just about nudge a billion dollars - phenomenal success and proof that "jukebox" musicals are now as big in cinema as they are on the stage. Bit hard to think of another act who would push the right buttons for the same treatment, as you need an emotional core and a big event as the climax. The Stones would only work with Altamont as the core event and that's hardly feel good! And many of the top acts have ended on a low with a death or lawsuits - Led Zep, Whitney Houston (there is a good film to be made there if anyone dares), The Who, Eagles, Floyd. ABBA have their own fiction franchise.

Any suggestions? :)

This film could just about nudge a billion dollars - phenomenal success and proof that "jukebox" musicals are now as big in cinema as they are on the stage. Bit hard to think of another act who would push the right buttons for the same treatment, as you need an emotional core and a big event as the climax. The Stones would only work with Altamont as the core event and that's hardly feel good! And many of the top acts have ended on a low with a death or lawsuits - Led Zep, Whitney Houston (there is a good film to be made there if anyone dares), The Who, Eagles, Floyd. ABBA have their own fiction franchise.

If ABBA ever staged a comeback it would break all records for sell out shows across the world hands down. It would be worth stupid money to them, promoters, venues etc. It would be the biggest music news story since Cobain.

And I'd gladly pay !!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,766 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Heckler wrote: »
    If ABBA ever staged a comeback it would break all records for sell out shows across the world hands down. It would be worth stupid money to them, promoters, venues etc. It would be the biggest music news story since Cobain.

And I'd gladly pay !!

Yeah would be fairly massive. Everyone loves ABBA

The Guns N Roses reunion happend 3 years ago successfully but didn't feel as big as I thought it would in be music world.

The smiths reunion would be quite good but might never happen as Egos will get in the way

Some brilliant movies can be made from a lot of bands histories. To a name a few Fleetwood Mac, Phil Lynott, Black Sabbath/Ozzy, Nirvana/Cobain

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Yeah would be fairly massive. Everyone loves ABBA

The Guns N Roses reunion happend 3 years ago successfully but didn't feel as big as I thought it would in be music world.

The smiths reunion would be quite good but might never happen as Egos will get in the way

Some brilliant movies can be made from a lot of bands histories. To a name a few Fleetwood Mac, Phil Lynott, Black Sabbath/Ozzy, Nirvana/Cobain

Montage of heck is a good Cobain watch. I'm half way through Bohemian Rhapsody at the mo. Its a good feel good movie but a world apart from a working band in its early stages. Went from small clubs to arenas in moments. I know it has to be condensed for film. Whoever cast and plays Brian May are both genius. Da bulb offa him.

• Advertisement

Well done Rami Malek . A powerhouse performance. The last 20 mins were electrifing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Think I said earlier in the thread that Rocket Man is going to be more of the same. And given the 'poetic licence' on show in Bohemian Rhapsody I think you could apply the same formula to a lot of bands. The line between a 'biopic' and a 'jukebox movie' has become a whole lot blurrier.

Queens music (not that I'm a big fan) is so iconic it may be difficult to replicate its success.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Am I the only one who didn't like rami malek as Freddie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

shamrock55 wrote: »

Looked and sounded nothing like him, seemed way to slight. Amazed at the positive reaction to this as I thought it was hilariously bad for huge parts.

The Live Aid segment is of course well down and very enjoyable but everything before that is a mess. The whole film looked so cheap, was it done on a miniscule budget?

The hair and makeup and cringy dialogue were so bad I thought I was watching some bad BBC sketch show at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I assume there's nothing to stop someone from doing a Freddie Mercury biopic? I'm aware there would be limitations without official Queen Productions approval but surely they couldn't stop a film focusing on Freddie's life?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

I assume there's nothing to stop someone from doing a Freddie Mercury biopic? I'm aware there would be limitations without official Queen Productions approval but surely they couldn't stop a film focusing on Freddie's life?

There has been some TV movies one of the big limitations is the rights to music.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,984 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

shamrock55 wrote: »

Another here.

I thought the film was poor enough for large sections, but improved as it went on.

Not a fan of Malek as Freddy to be honest. The voice, especially early on, was like he was trying to do a Mick Jagger impersonation. I also thought he was too small....was FM a small man? He never came across as small.

Also found the acting of that Irish guy from Downtown Abbey awful. He played Paul. Anything he does is poor. I just don't think he's a good actor.

I also followed up on how much of it was factually true, and it would appear that a huge amount of licence was taken with the film.

Overall for me, a 6/10. Probably saved by the LiveAid scene at the end.

Question, when all the songs were being performed in the film, weren't they all Freddie singing? I know in some films the actor is actually recorded signing the songs, but I closed my eyes for a few of them and they all sounded like FM.

Finally, I like a film like this to insert some real footage at times. There was none of that. Maybe there is a legal reason for it, I don't know?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

It did have a really cheap straight to video feel about it, it covered pretty much everything without really covering anything if that makes sense, I hated the live aid crowd scenes too, the cgi was awful

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

This nearly gave me a fecking migrane. Is much of the film edited like this? I can't get over the cheap look of it too.

https://twitter.com/LightsCameraPod/status/1099858014381719552

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I'd say John Reid is only delighted that it's Richard Madden portraying him this year.. though neither seem to have made too much of an effort to get his personality down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Hard to articulate how I feel about this.

Thought that Malek didnt look or sound like Freddie, but more importantly, was missing his "presence". However, I almost didnt mind that, because - there can only be one Freddie.

For me the whole thing felt like it was a very rose tinted glasses view of Freddie (and Queens) story.

Everything seemed too clean, too bright, too sanitised. No grit. It was like the PG version of the story somehow.

Even the Live Aid scene - absolutely fantastic attention to detail on the stage, the costume design, the instruments, the action, the music - but the whole thing looked like it was glossy compared to how it really looked! The crowd in Wembley were too colourful, too pretty, too spaced apart. When i watch it on Youtube its grey, grungy, a bit dismal looking (as the 80s were!). This version is just too polished.

Its a pity it was the story as told by Queen, we might have gotten a more warts and all version had they not actually been involved.

I mentally compared it to Sid and Nancy with Gary Oldman - now obviously that WAS a much grittier story anyway, but it was just more realistic you know?

So, sure, i enjoyed the music, the nostalgia, but I didnt think it was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

NIMAN wrote: »
    Another here.

I thought the film was poor enough for large sections, but improved as it went on.

Not a fan of Malek as Freddy to be honest. The voice, especially early on, was like he was trying to do a Mick Jagger impersonation. I also thought he was too small....was FM a small man? He never came across as small.
    FM 1.77m

RM 1.75m so not much difference, I did think Freddie Mercury was atleast 6 feet but perhaps he was just thin and goofy not particularly tall, although he may have been tall for a Persian person.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

....... wrote: »
    Hard to articulate how I feel about this.

Thought that Malek didnt look or sound like Freddie, but more importantly, was missing his "presence". However, I almost didnt mind that, because - there can only be one Freddie.

For me the whole thing felt like it was a very rose tinted glasses view of Freddie (and Queens) story.

Everything seemed too clean, too bright, too sanitised. No grit. It was like the PG version of the story somehow.

Even the Live Aid scene - absolutely fantastic attention to detail on the stage, the costume design, the instruments, the action, the music - but the whole thing looked like it was glossy compared to how it really looked! The crowd in Wembley were too colourful, too pretty, too spaced apart. When i watch it on Youtube its grey, grungy, a bit dismal looking (as the 80s were!). This version is just too polished.

Its a pity it was the story as told by Queen, we might have gotten a more warts and all version had they not actually been involved.

I mentally compared it to Sid and Nancy with Gary Oldman - now obviously that WAS a much grittier story anyway, but it was just more realistic you know?

So, sure, i enjoyed the music, the nostalgia, but I didnt think it was amazing.

And Gary Oldman, who was in Sid and Nancy, presented Rami Malek with the Best Actor Oscar

branie2 wrote: »
    And Gary Oldman, who was in Sid and Nancy, presented Rami Malek with the Best Actor Oscar

Great catch!!!

FM 1.77m

RM 1.75m so not much difference, I did think Freddie Mercury was atleast 6 feet but perhaps he was just thin and goofy not particularly tall, although he may have been tall for a Persian person.

I think they just had very different physicality.

Freddie was very masculine looking on stage, both in his movements and his frame, he had a great build. His proportions were such that he looked tall, whereas Rami's proportions make him look much shorter, and he isnt as well built around the chest.

Im sure if you drew out their measurements each individual one isnt too different, but the eye perceives the difference of the whole package.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

this lad is a pretty good impression of freddie, he was used in the film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=38&v=XWJloWmAqnE

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭boosabum

....... wrote: »
    I think they just had very different physicality.

Freddie was very masculine looking on stage, both in his movements and his frame, he had a great build. His proportions were such that he looked tall, whereas Rami's proportions make him look much shorter, and he isnt as well built around the chest.

Im sure if you drew out their measurements each individual one isnt too different, but the eye perceives the difference of the whole package.

Have a look at youtube where the movie version of live aid set versus actual is done on a split screen setup.

Rami is a million miles away from Freddie's performance, so forced and when you consider all the rehearsals i guess it had whereas Freddies was an impromptu performance

boosabum wrote: »
    Have a look at youtube where the movie version of live aid set versus actual is done on a split screen setup.

Rami is a million miles away from Freddie's performance, so forced and when you consider all the rehearsals i guess it had whereas Freddies was an impromptu performance

Ill check it out.

I did watch the real live aid performance AFTER I watched the movie but a split screen would be interesting.

They definitely didnt move the same way, as I said earlier, Rami just doesnt have Freddies presence or his energy.

Again though, I kind of didnt mind that aspect of it because you never could replicate Freddie.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

This film won the Oscar for best editing! You may have noticed the criticism of the scene with aiden gillan for both dialogue and editing, I usually ignore the criticism videos because they are usually very self indulgent but the editor actually responded https://www.slashfilm.com/bohemian-rhapsody-editing/ you can read his explanation that the WP got. To me it seems the needed a wide shot from behind Aiden Gillan, although that would have been over water.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭El Duda

Watched this on Friday on 4K...

Whilst it is not without its merits and it has some good stuff in there, at times I was aghast at just how awful it was. Sycophantic beyond belief. At times it felt like an intentionally farcical parody. Malek was fine on stage but his 'behind the scenes' Freddie was off. It felt like he was taking the piss. Those dentures were shockingly bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

El Duda wrote: »
    Watched this on Friday on 4K...

Whilst it is not without its merits and it has some good stuff in there, at times I was aghast at just how awful it was. Sycophantic beyond belief. At times it felt like an intentionally farcical parody. Malek was fine on stage but his 'behind the scenes' Freddie was off. It felt like he was taking the piss. Those dentures were shockingly bad.

Just watched it last night. It reminded me of that Eddie the eagle film with Hugh jackman... it was woeful

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Aidan Gillen, as John Reid, looked like Charlie Haughey, another character played by him

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭boosabum

I guess most of the fan's have seen it at this stage, but Queen & AL played the Live Aid set for the Australian Firefighters concert and it's up on utube.

A pretty decent effort but just reinforces how magnification the original 20 something minute performance was almost 35 years ago, can never be equaled and will never be topped

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Gave this a watch. Thought it was well done. All the songs!! 🙂

Didn't think I could feel so

sad watching the wembley performance

Queen - Under Pressure (Official Video)

• Advertisement
Advertisement