Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rental tax calculator

Options
  • 16-02-2019 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭

Reluctant landlord, waiting till out of neg equity to decide re selling (if I can afford tax and stable tenant I won’t) only renting since Nov.
    I know I will only have to pay the tax for Nov /Dec tax this Oct but I prefer to prepay my possibly prelim tax when I can incase I have a difficult year next year. In that vain I am just trying to have a vague idea of my prelim tax on the rent. Happy to overestimate as it would be my only savings.
    Chose HAP tenant as they seemed the most decent and fingers crossed for no issues. Seem genuinely lovely family so far.

So basics (will figure out expenses etc closer to time)

So rent x 12 x 52% tax (minus mortgage interest) should give me a rough ballpark that’s not too low??? Right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭thegolfer

Don't forget letting fees, repairs, registration to the prtb, capital allowances on white goods bought for letting the property, also mortgage protection is allowable.

Every bit helps, in the long run.

Assuming you are it the top bracket if tax then all profit is at the higher rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭polydactyl

thegolfer wrote: »
    Don't forget letting fees, repairs, registration to the prtb, capital allowances on white goods bought for letting the property, also mortgage protection is allowable.

Every bit helps, in the long run.

Assuming you are it the top bracket if tax then all profit is at the higher rate.

Yeah lucky enough to have a good job so all at higher rate. Thank you will def look at those! I do have an accountant but I like to make sure I understabd myself so I can budget as he’s more a once a year visit. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

polydactyl wrote: »
    Reluctant landlord, waiting till out of neg equity to decide re selling (if I can afford tax and stable tenant I won’t) only renting since Nov.
    I know I will only have to pay the tax for Nov /Dec tax this Oct but I prefer to prepay my possibly prelim tax when I can incase I have a difficult year next year. In that vain I am just trying to have a vague idea of my prelim tax on the rent. Happy to overestimate as it would be my only savings.
    Chose HAP tenant as they seemed the most decent and fingers crossed for no issues. Seem genuinely lovely family so far.

So basics (will figure out expenses etc closer to time)

So rent x 12 x 52% tax (minus mortgage interest) should give me a rough ballpark that’s not too low??? Right?

The interest is deducted from your gross rent before you work out the tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭polydactyl

The interest is deducted from your gross rent before you work out the tax.

Ah thanks!

Advertisement