Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Neutral Milk Hotel?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Definitely agree, I'd never even heard of NMH or how big of a deal this album was supposed to until someone randomly recommended it to me and I was completely blown away. It's a bit grating on the ears at first, but then it starts to sink in and it just becomes mind blowing.

It's a bit like a musical equivalent of Catcher in the Rye. You either don't get it at all or it completely rocks your world.

Yea definitly agree with that... i suppose its like anything in life really taht once someone completly over the top goes on about how amazing something is and you listen to it/watch it/read it then your left feeling a bit flat. But once you give it a chance in your own time then it can grow on your or instantly forget everything ur friend has said and go back to it!

Ever listen to My Bloody Valentine? thats exactly what happened to me!! now i love them!! or when i first saw some anime films or the matrix!
    I was like wtf?? but its all about perceptions. Ive bascially an open mind listening to anythign now! expcet rap/hip-hop etc,etc lol :P

I

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Danco

If I get down off my high horse will you get down off your soapbox?

I have heard entire Frames albums, I've even heard their first album "Another Love Song" and the live album "Breadcrumb Trail" and I'm speaking from my experience of the band. It would be better for you not to assume that I am speaking from a position of ignorance as to the Frames output. I do hate Glen Hansard, I certainly won't deny that, but I can distinguish between a person and their music enough not to disregard a persons output just because of who they are. I happen to hate Glen Hansard and I happen to hate Glen Hansard's music. I hate Billy Corgan too, but I love a lot of Smashing Pumpkins songs.

The OP (as you point out) came on here saying they love Neutral Milk Hotel and asking if anyone familiar with them could recommend other bands they might like. Your point in your last post was that The Frames may have been influenced in some way by NMH and you used my assertion that "The Frames have simply stolen other peoples ideas and mashed them together" as evidence that this might be possible. I fully accept that the Frames may well have taken ideas from NMH, but why would the OP, who clearly loves In The Aeroplane Over The Sea want to hear a poor quality imitation of a band they love? Why recommend the Frames if you don't think they're unique or original (as you clearly don't since you're willing to use my assertion that they take other peoples ideas in your argument)?

Can you elaborate on your claim that "There is clear essence of some NMH in The Frames"? Because I honestly don't see how there is and I'd like to know how you came to that conclusion. I'm not having a go at you by the way, I just don't see how you got there. Also, I did say in my first post that I meant no offence to you and I don't, so I'd appreciate it if you held off on the high horse stuff because it's divisive and unnecessary. If the OP asks for recommendations and I think one of those recommendations is questionable I'm entitled to say so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Danco wrote: »
    If I get down off my high horse will you get down off your soapbox?

I have heard entire Frames albums, I've even heard their first album "Another Love Song" and the live album "Breadcrumb Trail" and I'm speaking from my experience of the band. It would be better for you not to assume that I am speaking from a position of ignorance as to the Frames output. I do hate Glen Hansard, I certainly won't deny that, but I can distinguish between a person and their music enough not to disregard a persons output just because of who they are. I happen to hate Glen Hansard and I happen to hate Glen Hansard's music. I hate Billy Corgan too, but I love a lot of Smashing Pumpkins songs.

The OP (as you point out) came on here saying they love Neutral Milk Hotel and asking if anyone familiar with them could recommend other bands they might like. Your point in your last post was that The Frames may have been influenced in some way by NMH and you used my assertion that "The Frames have simply stolen other peoples ideas and mashed them together" as evidence that this might be possible. I fully accept that the Frames may well have taken ideas from NMH, but why would the OP, who clearly loves In The Aeroplane Over The Sea want to hear a poor quality imitation of a band they love? Why recommend the Frames if you don't think they're unique or original (as you clearly don't since you're willing to use my assertion that they take other peoples ideas in your argument)?

Can you elaborate on your claim that "There is clear essence of some NMH in The Frames"? Because I honestly don't see how there is and I'd like to know how you came to that conclusion. I'm not having a go at you by the way, I just don't see how you got there. Also, I did say in my first post that I meant no offence to you and I don't, so I'd appreciate it if you held off on the high horse stuff because it's divisive and unnecessary. If the OP asks for recommendations and I think one of those recommendations is questionable I'm entitled to say so.

2+2=5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Danco

What a clever response. Articulate and well argued, it certainly showed me. Talk later Glen.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭lostboy75

how about one of the new hype bands, well on Emusic anyway.
    The Rural Alberta Advantage - Hometowns
    caught me just like NMH
    they dont have a record label, but you can get their album fairly easily from there website. and yes i know i am aging my self by talking about buying an album. but i do ues Emusic as well, if i like what i download enough, i will buy the CD or Vinyl as well.

Lost

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Flyingsnowball

After seeing the cover for the airplane album for the last 20 years or so I finally gave it a listen a few weeks ago and have had it on repeat since. Some stuff sounds like nothing else.
    The I love you Jesus Christ song is epic.

As for the bands like them discussion bright eyes had a great album called something like I’m wide awake it’s morning. Opening song blows me away every time.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,122 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Every song on that album is a cracker. I could listen to King Of Carrot Flowers on repeat and never get sick of it.

Even the story of the singer floating around making recordings with an 8 track in hotels rooms and caves. Changing bands or projects for music rather than milking the successful stuff.

2 headed boy song being so dark and yet being a tribute to record players amazing stuff. The Kurt Cobain of Kurt Cobains generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

Good description of the album. Definately a classic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Can't stand them myself. Your man's voice cuts through me like razor-wire.

Arghus wrote: »
    Can't stand them myself. Your man's voice cuts through me like razor-wire.

There’s two types of people. Those that like original sounding voices and those that like their singers with every piece of character trained out of them.
    There’s no right or wrong I suppose, just what ye like.

Always feels for me the less trained singer has more feeling and is overcoming his lack of perfection and confidence in his untrained voice to get his message out. Makes the message of the song more believable where Coldplay and Ed Sheehan come across as disengenuous money grabbers Bob Dylan comes across as a man with a story he needs to tell.

You should like what you like of course.

• Up there as one of my all time favourite albums. In the Aeroplane Over the Sea and It's a Wonderful life by Sparklehorse are getting a lot of play here recently.

Up there as one of my all time favourite albums. In the Aeroplane Over the Sea and It's a Wonderful life by Sparklehorse are getting a lot of play here recently.

I’ll try sparklehorse on the way to work tomorrow. Never heard of them

• I’ll try sparklehorse on the way to work tomorrow. Never heard of them

Well worth checking out but the story of Mark Linkous aka Sparklehorse is a tragic one unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

My most listened to album is In The Aeroplane Over The Sea & I think my most listened to song is Little Birds which only got an official release as part of the box set a few years ago but it is stunning imo.

Well worth checking out but the story of Mark Linkous aka Sparklehorse is a tragic one unfortunately.

Had it on this morning on the way to work. Enjoyed it I’ll listen again on the way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭degsie

'In the airplane...', seriously? Sounds like a bunch of lads at the back of the pub making sh** up. Not for me anyway.

degsie wrote: »
    'In the airplane...', seriously? Sounds like a bunch of lads at the back of the pub making sh** up. Not for me anyway.

If there was a heaven I’d say that pub would be front and centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,092 ✭✭✭mosstin

Had it on this morning on the way to work. Enjoyed it I’ll listen again on the way home.

Sparklehorse are an incredible band. Just try their debut 'Vivadixiesubmarine...'. My favourite debut album of the 1990s. Absolute perfection.

• Advertisement
Advertisement