Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best music artists to emerge in the past 20 years

• 25-01-2019 12:34pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭

OK, I suppose I'm giving my age away here (it's a middle aged 43 BTW) and the 1990s was a pivotal decade for me in terms of growing up and coming of age so its not surprising that it is my favourite decade musically (followed by the 1970s) but it does seem that since 2000 the quality of popular music has been pretty lacking. There just seems to be so much fewer artists who produce really good material worth listening to IMO.

But there are notable exceptions, and I will list the artists who I think stand out from the dross below. Please feel free to challenge me or add to the list.

IMO some of the best music artists to emerge in past 20 or so years include the following:

Goldfrapp
    Franz Ferdinand
    Florence and The Machine
    Muse
    Scissor Sisters
    Adele
    Sigur Ros
    Lady Gaga
    Royksopp
    Air
    Arcade Fire
    Boards Of Canada
    Lana del Ray

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

No Arctic Monkeys?

This will just be an opinion thread leading to people criticising each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Anything Jack White does, Queens of the Stone Age(the above are technically 90's but "made It big" in the noughties)Also, the Mars Volta and Mastodon.

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

Anything from the Nolan Sisters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭RayCon

Steven Wilson*
    Opeth**
    Ghost

... these would be who I spend most of my time listening that have emerged in the last 20yrs.

*although Wilson as Porcupine Tree has obviously been releasing material more than 20 yrs ago

** Ok, technically they are older than 20 , but I enjoy their output of the last 20yrs more so than the really early material.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

Anything Jack White does, Queens of the Stone Age(the above are technically 90's but "made It big" in the noughties)Also, the Mars Volta and Mastodon.

I've just gone who, who and who :D

god I'm old :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Artctic Monkeys are good but compared to the general output of the 1990s they seem rather average - when compared to Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Alice In Chains, Massive Atrack, The Chemical Brothers, Placebo, Bjork, Portishead, Tori Amos, Blur, Oasis, Hole, Garbage, Soundgarden, Skunk Anansie, Ice T and Bodycount, etc..

I just know I'll be savaged by posters around half my age! Yikes! :O :D

RayCon wrote: »
    Steven Wilson*
    Opeth**
    Ghost

... these would be who I spend most of my time listening that have emerged in the last 20yrs.

*although Wilson as Porcupine Tree has obviously been releasing material more than 20 yrs ago

** Ok, technically they are older than 20 , but I enjoy their output of the last 20yrs more so than the really early material.

Forgot about these, great artists/bands. The dude from opeth is extremely talented, funny as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Kanye West

M83

Vampire Weekend

Laura Marling

Queens of the stone age (edit: they're from 1996)

Arcade Fire

Bon Iver

Muse (edit: they're from 1994)

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Artctic Monkeys are good but compared to the general output of the 1990s they seem rather average - when compared to Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Alice In Chains, Massive Atrack, The Chemical Brothers, Placebo, Bjork, Portishead, Tori Amos, Blur, Oasis, Hole, Garbage, Soundgarden, Skunk Anansie, Ice T and Bodycount, etc..

I just know I'll be savaged by posters around half my age! Yikes! :O :D

Those were all special bands.

The Avalanches

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭smilerf

Kanye West

M83

Vampire Weekend

Laura Marling

Queens of the stone age

Arcade Fire

Bon Iver

Muse
    Love m83. Listening to Steve mcqueen right now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Scissor sisters? Really?

smilerf wrote: »
    Love m83. Listening to Steve mcqueen right now

'Hurry up we're dreaming' is a perfect album start to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,198 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

maximoose wrote: »
    Scissor sisters? Really?

Oh Christ. No:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

No Coldplay:confused:

Definitely one of the biggest bands to emerge in the last 20years.

No Coldplay:confused:

Definitely one of the biggest bands to emerge in the last 20years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Are you looking for the best acts or the biggest ones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mod note: This one would be best discussed in the Music forum. I'll close this and transfer now.

Please note the change of forum and forum rules.

Buford T. Justice

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement