Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Early Years/Teaching Degree Apprenticeships in Ireland for people just out of school

• 11-01-2019 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi, I’m hoping this is the right place to ask this and sorry that it’s long!

I had considered doing an apprenticeship in the childcare/early years sector after school/college as over time I realised that uni probably wasn’t the most suitable for me but there was none here in Ireland and the ones in the UK didn’t seem to be at a high enough level to make it worth relocating over for (especially with having to pay for accommodation etc, which I’m not currently doing here).

So I decided to start an undergraduate degree in Early Childhood Care and Education here in Ireland (just so I could get my degree and not have to go back to do one later on) and am halfway through 1st Year but unfortunately as I expected I hate the course and uni life in general.

Then my mum met someone we know and they were talking about courses and she told my mum that they have degree apprenticeships here in Ireland.

This was news to us but unfortunately I have failed to find anything so far about them for here in Ireland and know that they seem to exist in the UK but can’t find much info on them either.

I suppose I’m just wondering if any of ye know if degree apprenticeships exist in the early years/teaching sector in Ireland yet and if so who and where offers them and where and when can I apply for them?

In case it makes any differences, I think I have the necessary grades in maths, English and science in both my Junior Cert and my Leaving Cert.

Both me and my parents have agreed that if I could find a suitable one that I could leave uni and do one of those instead as we all know that I would much prefer being mostly out in the workplace rather than at uni.

I love working with children (I have done work experience in both a pre school and a primary school) but hate uni life so it would be a dream come through if I could do a degree apprenticeship in that area (and the lack of fees and the small wage would definitely help too, but I genuinely wouldn’t be doing it just for that)!

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement