Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Books for a beginner to sewing.

Options
  • 19-10-2018 10:33pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone recommend books on sewing for learning the basics and ideas for simple projects to make both for an adult beginner and a twelve year old beginner. I have just bought a machine as an early Christmas present to myself and waiting for it to arrive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Hi,

Can anyone recommend books on sewing for learning the basics and ideas for simple projects to make both for an adult beginner and a twelve year old beginner. I have just bought a machine as an early Christmas present to myself and waiting for it to arrive.

Hi there are a few good books on the book depositary web site

Would you think of going for a few lessons?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Hi thanks for your reply, yes I started an 8 week course last Wednesday at my local community centre. I have plenty of free time between classes so I was hoping to start some small projects at home in between the weekly classes.

:confused:
    Hi thanks for your reply, yes I started an 8 week course last Wednesday at my local community centre. I have plenty of free time between classes so I was hoping to start some small projects at home in between the weekly classes.

Would do a lot of sewing myself What about cushion covers or xmas stockings there is a few good videos on you tube

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I will have a look. I'd like to have a go at buttons and zips so maybe cushion covers are an idea I should go for.

I will have a look. I'd like to have a go at buttons and zips so maybe cushion covers are an idea I should go for.

I would make an envelope cushion cover to start off with I would find zips hard enough yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

This is my go to:

https://www.dk.com/uk/book/9781405335553-the-sewing-book/

Decent coverage and photos of a wide range of techniques and a few straightforward projects at the back.

Not in the book but a decent project to start with is a "slouch bag" or "hobo" bag They're straightforward, handy and pretty. Some patterns have an inside zip pocket which is a decent low risk way to practice the skill. If you google for slouch bag sewing patterns there ars a range of options.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I don't have any recommendation except for a trip to the library: you'd have plenty to choose from, you can look at them properly in advance so you know what you're getting, you can return them if you don't like them, and they can order more in for you. Then, if you find one you really like, you can go and buy that.

Thanks for the replies, I might have a go at a slouch bag with a zip.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,046 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Just buying a beginners' paper pattern can be a good approach. Some of them will give you considerable detail on how to do things, and you don't have to start with clothing, a pattern for bags - totes, hobo, simple ones - will not only give you a good start but you will be making something too, which is always the best way to learn. Try the likes of Michael Guiney for fabrics, half nothing and if you keep looking you can get some gems.

Thanks for the tip, I should have said recommendations for places to buy fabrics online also would be great.

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    Just buying a beginners' paper pattern can be a good approach. Some of them will give you considerable detail on how to do things, and you don't have to start with clothing, a pattern for bags - totes, hobo, simple ones - will not only give you a good start but you will be making something too, which is always the best way to learn. Try the likes of Michael Guiney for fabrics, half nothing and if you keep looking you can get some gems.

5 or 6 years ago on trips to Dublin Guineys would have been my first stop for fabric was there a few weeks ago and was so dissapointed.

Although the shop was full of fabric they had nothing at the same time if that makes sense

Has anyone ordered from Vibes & Scribes in Cork? They seem to have a good range of clearance fabrics for getting started with.

Thanks for the tip, I should have said recommendations for places to buy fabrics online also would be great.

I just buy locally now I find postage is a killer when buying online, although some places offer free postage when you spend 50e or more.

Cherry Blossom I dont know if you are in the north west but there is a gem of a fabric shop in Clonmany

I'm closer to Letterkenny than Inishowen but it's not too far. I could go for a little day trip. Its a pity Swan Park is destroyed I could have taken the dogs there and killed two birds with one stone.

I'm closer to Letterkenny than Inishowen but it's not too far. I could go for a little day trip. Its a pity Swan Park is destroyed I could have taken the dogs there and killed two birds with one stone.

They open 12-4 Thursday and Friday
    10.30 - 4.30 on Saturday's

It's in the community center just ask someone on the street they will give you directions

• Registered Users Posts: 28,046 ✭✭✭✭looksee

https://www.minervacrafts.com/ This place is pretty good, and they have a fixed postage rate which makes them much better value than some places. Just don't buy an of their 'bargain bags' of trimmings or similar - they really are sweepings up!

I just popped into Vincent's while in the town and came out with a bag of odd curtains and bedding. They wouldn't take any money for it.

I just popped into Vincent's while in the town and came out with a bag of odd curtains and bedding. They wouldn't take any money for it.

A great way to practice before using good fabric

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MinnieMinx

I live in Cork and vibes and scribes is a lovely little shop but if shopping online I have used them and their delivery charges are very reasonable. vibesandscribes.ie and also
    lovefabric.ie

YouTube have lots of really great tutorials and I recommend the following 3 especially for beginners;

Shabby Fabrics - mostly quilt designs but scroll through and they do a few fun projects such as a simple grocery bag that takes about a couple of hours for a beginner to make

SewVeryEasy - again lots of quilt stuff but some dressmaking too and she’s just started doing a new beginners sewing tutorials.)

Sewing Machine Warehouse - lots of good advice and practical tips.

Book recommendations:

Half Yard Heaven by Debbie Shore (she also has a Youtune channel)
    Lots of simple fun projects.

Love at First Stitch by Tilly Walnes
    Introduction to dressmaking complete with patterns in a pouch at the back of the book. She was a contestant on the first series of the Great British Sewing Bee.

Hope this might help someone starting out but if you can find a class to attend initially that will give you the basics to get you started and then it’s up to you where to go next or maybe start your own little sewing bee with a few friends.

Hi MinnieMinx,

I'm only noticing your reply now. Some very helpful information there, thank you. I will check out those YouTubes. I might actually order a few quilting books closer to Christmas. I bought some Christmas fabrics today and am going to have a go at making some bunting tomorrow or the next day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Hi Cherry Blossom,
    If you're looking for fabric don't forget Speers on the Main Street, Letterkenny. Staff are really nice there. Only saw your thread cos I'm considering wading into trying sewing myself.

Thanks Maldesu,

Yes I got some Christmas fabrics in Spears to make bunting. I didn't want to wait for delivery. Thanks for the suggestion.

Advertisement