Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ancient fragment of Homer found.

• 15-07-2018 11:10pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭

For the Classicists among us:
    "
    A clay tablet discovered during an archaeological dig may be the oldest written record of Homer's epic tale, the Odyssey, ever found in Greece, the country's culture ministry has said.

Found near the ruined Temple of Zeus in the ancient city of Olympia, the tablet has been dated to Roman times.

It is engraved with 13 verses from the poem recounting the adventures of the hero Odysseus after the fall of Troy.

The tale was probably composed by Homer in the late 8th Century BC.
    "- https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-44779492

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

I'm not up to date on my Greek mythology but I believed Was Mount Olimpia was the city of the Gods.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,021 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I'm not up to date on my Greek mythology but I believed Was Mount Olimpia was the city of the Gods.
    Mount Olympus was the home of the gods. Similar name but a different place, about 500 km away from the ancient city of Olympia. Olympia is where the Olympic Games were held.

Advertisement