Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anime clubs in Dublin

• 24-05-2010 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask. I just wondered if there were any anime clubs in Dublin? (I asked in Forbidden Planet but no joy)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Most Anime/Manga clubs in the country are connected with Colleges for example DCU has an active one that runs the annual Eirtakon. None college folks can join some college clubs but you'd have to get in touch with the club/college to find out [I think that's the case someone feel free to correct me, I went to college in the states]

Waterford Library has an active manga reading club for teens so might be worth checking your local library and if there isn't one see about starting one.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Butterscotch

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask. I just wondered if there were any anime clubs in Dublin? (I asked in Forbidden Planet but no joy)

Go on the Eirtakon website as there is information in the DCU Anime and Manga society, Cork meet ups and other events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Velharn

Heh was just passing through.. been years since I was a member of any anime club.. or even watched that much.. ah the golden age of the 80/90s anime.

My helpful contribution to this thread was to point you in the direction of Eirtaku.. but that seems to be dead..

When I was in DCU a few years back.. Nadir, of Eirtaku seemed to be amalgamating what was left of Eirtaku, into the DCU anime club..

Not sure if Eirtakon, is a club.. though more like a loose association of stoned(ok, so it was just one stoner, but it was more than any other anime club) and bright eyed individuals.. in the way that Eirtaku was.. but aye.. it's your best shot.

Hi to anybody of Eirtaku, if you're still kicking about.. highly unlikely though that is..

And Mordeath, if you're out there.. I want my VCDs back.. feckin' Blue Seed and the lot of it ;)

Lol don't mind me.. just a relic of the past :)

Well everyone from or most people from Eirtaku have immigrated to the Eirtakon forums. You would find most of the members there.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

Most of what was left of Eirtaku went to EirtaKon, though very few of the original eirtakus are sitll about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Missiechan

Thre's Nom-Con too, the forums are fairly active, as is the Facebook page. Pus there's an Irish Otaku page on Facebook. The best place to get contacts are through the conventions which are:

*Nom-Con

*Eirtakon

*Q-con (in the North)

*BroCon

*Gaelcon

And they're friendly, the Irish community as a whole is very welcoming.

Gaelcon is a gaming convention, not an anime con. :/

Does it really matter? It's largely the same crowd, and people who are into anime tend to have an interest in gaming as well. Q-con is more of a Tabletop Gaming/Lan con, but the traders sell anime and manga and they have a Masquerade event.

Having attended Gaelcon and Eirtakon, I'd say there's a pretty miniscule overlap. Old gamers in their thirties who snort into their pints at the very notion of anime.

Q-con on the other hand, is an anime convention, so gets away with it.

It is funny that the crowd at anime and gaming cons are more and less the same as there are both nerds and have similar interests, yet the atmosphere at both is completely different. I find at Gealcon, the atmosphere is alot quieter, people are more reserved and you would rarely see cosplayers. At anime cons the atmosphere is a lot louder. Q-con is different to Gealcon as it more computer gaming then table top gaming.
    Missiechan wrote: »

And they're friendly, the Irish community as a whole is very welcoming.

I find the Anime community is very welcoming no matter what country or where there are based. Anime fans are nice in general it seems. There are no barriers when it comes to anime and cosplay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

I find at Gealcon, the atmosphere is alot quieter, people are more reserved and you would rarely see cosplayers

Probably because the point of Gaelcon is a traditional and tabletop gaming convention where you sit around with like-minded people and play RPGs, board games, card games and war games.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Kitty-kitty

Oh gosh, I completely forgot I posted this. Thanks everyone for all your help.

I do find most geek gatherings in general are very welcoming, open and friendly (and I'm totally heading to nom-con this year. I always chickened out of eirtakon after being launched upon by several random REALLY OVERENTHUSED teenage girls at once in Forbidden Planet after one of them spotted me with a copy of death note in my hand and decided I was her new best friend and should totally go and it was okay about accomodation I could stay at her house. It was really nice of her but at the same time I was hella shy and a little bit terrified.) which is why I asked about that first.

Anyway in case anybody else is checking up this thread, looking for the same thing in general, UCC's Sci-Fi club is really friendly and worth a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭over9000dvd

Oh gosh, I completely forgot I posted this. Thanks everyone for all your help.

I do find most geek gatherings in general are very welcoming, open and friendly (and I'm totally heading to nom-con this year. I always chickened out of eirtakon after being launched upon by several random REALLY OVERENTHUSED teenage girls at once in Forbidden Planet after one of them spotted me with a copy of death note in my hand and decided I was her new best friend and should totally go and it was okay about accomodation I could stay at her house. It was really nice of her but at the same time I was hella shy and a little bit terrified.) which is why I asked about that first.

Anyway in case anybody else is checking up this thread, looking for the same thing in general, UCC's Sci-Fi club is really friendly and worth a try.

indeed it is

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Probably because the point of Gaelcon is a traditional and tabletop gaming convention where you sit around with like-minded people and play RPGs, board games, card games and war games.

Yeah that is very true and they are an older crowd.

So, uh, this begs the question - if I started one, d'you reckon I'd get many members?

Absolutely. You can recruit people on the convention forums.

That's a really good idea, thanks! I was thinking of putting up posters in FB and Sub City but when I thought about it I figured... yeah, even I don't notice those posters most of the time, unless I'm actually looking for something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 LadySaphira

Well I'd join for sure! these are probably the two best places to recruit people in Ireland: http://nom-con.proboards.com/index.cgi
    and http://eirtakon.com/forums/index.php

Unfortunetly I don't know much about the eirtakon forum since I'm not active on it, but the nom-con forum is full of people new and well known to the anime community.
    Also we're organising an event next month for everyone to meet each other like we did last month.
    Also Qcon at the end of this month will have loads of people from Dublin at it, it's be really worth your while if you could make it!

Thanks for all the great suggestions, I'll certainly get on that once I have five seconds to myself to get down and think of the how and where.

I always chickened out of eirtakon after being launched upon by several random REALLY OVERENTHUSED teenage girls at once in Forbidden Planet after one of them spotted me with a copy of death note in my hand and decided I was her new best friend and should totally go and it was okay about accomodation I could stay at her house. It was really nice of her but at the same time I was hella shy and a little bit terrified.) which is why I asked about that first.

That is one of the very reasons why I cosplay as old school characters from animes that my own age group are into and why I cosplay as not so well known characters that the kiddies wouldn't know.

• Advertisement

Hi folks, really sorry to drag this old topic up again BUT if there are any takers... I was thinking of kicking off attempting to start up a club with a table quiz somewhere city centre. Any takers? Any ideas?

I figured advertising in Forbidden Planet, Sub City and Chapters'd be a good idea, and maybe in the Asian Markets around town.

(PS: Thanks for all the suggestions. I did MEAN to make Nom-Con, made the Friday and then ended up sick for the weekend. Gutted, it looked like it was going to be amazing fun.)

I would be interested. :-) Have you thought of a venue? We would need to pick a venue which is cheap to rent.

I havennn't. I'm gonna try my damnedest to see if I can't talk a pub into doing it for free, I'm fairly sure that one pub in Cork that hosted Other Realms' games night used to do it for free. Any ideas? I don't know city centre all that amazingly well, and Dublin 6 is a bit far out for most.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

I havennn't. I'm gonna try my damnedest to see if I can't talk a pub into doing it for free, I'm fairly sure that one pub in Cork that hosted Other Realms' games night used to do it for free. Any ideas? I don't know city centre all that amazingly well, and Dublin 6 is a bit far out for most.

I'll go if it's in Dublin. Cork is a bit far out :P.

5 hour bus journey, I don't think so. Naw, 'm looking in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭laurashambles

Sounds fun, I'd be up for it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Demonique

I'd be interested

Myself and Butters are working on it. We'd an event set up but it clashed with something else, so we're provisionally working on a second. Keep an eye on our tiny facebook page?

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=130265430358879

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Myself and Butters are working on it. We'd an event set up but it clashed with something else, so we're provisionally working on a second. Keep an eye on our tiny facebook page?

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=130265430358879

I don't really like social media sites (as odd as that sounds) just not my thing. Could you post any updates here? I would give you much hugs and possibly a cookie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Chris2048

Advertisement