Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dinner Tonight! Where to go? - Restaurant & Eating Out Recommendations for NCD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Would anyone know of a chinese that opens for lunchtime, my little one wants chinese after her communion which is on a saturday - thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,744 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Ended up going to Pasta Pizza. A couple of the dishes were a tad overdone unfortunately. But, great value, great atmosphere, & super service as always.

The Redbank should check out the Pasta Pizza house wine - waaaaay better than theirs (sorry Terry).

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭wazzer1

Hi all, can anyone recommend somewhere in Skerries for grub this Sunday..thinking around lunchtime..not familar with the places out there, cheers.

What sort of food are you thinking of? Also price range? Otherwise all you'll get is a list of places possibly already reviewed in this thread.

tHB

Right shes come in and decided we are going to Blue Bar, so that ends that!!:o...Do you know if id have to book it for Sunday afternoon Hill Billy, seeing as its a bank holiday and that.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

There's no harm in giving them a ring on +353 1 849 0900. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭CinammonGirl

Blue Bar don't take bookings unfortunately (or they usen't to anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

I posted here a few weeks ago, looking for a review of ''Courtyard Restaurant'' in the Carnegie Court Swords.

So last evening we hosted a party of 60 as part our Twinning visit group from France.

I had requested the Roast Beef be cooked Rare, as that's how French like their meat, and we went with the house Red/White

Got a great deal on their early bird menu, starter, mains, desert tea/coffee etc

Good selection 3 starters, 4 mains, 3 deserts, and a veggie alternative

Staff were great, service efficient, crisp, and helpful to those with no English.

Food was excellent, the Rare Steak, was a huge success, and the House wines were very well received, so all in all to the French palate, a complete success

I would highly recommend this restaurant to any group seeking a good deal on price, good food, and great service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭ryaner1979

Went to Raffs in Skerries tonight. Couldn't fault it. Fantastic and great value. Will be back soon

Hi folks, anyone ever have a bit of grub in Scotch Bonnet in Malahide??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭robbe

Can be quite nice, service better of late (a particularly good English waitress) compared to a while back when the guys would regularly forget cutlery/drinks etc. Only issue is it's on the pricey side, hth
    wazzer1 wrote: »
    Hi folks, anyone ever have a bit of grub in Scotch Bonnet in Malahide??

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I've a "significant"! birthday this year and a really good dinner is my one big wish gift wise.

I like really fine food, but the OH is a steak and chips man. So far I've identified Bon Appetit in Malahide as a runner, any other suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭jibberjive

Ate in the Scotch Bonnet recently and was pretty underwhelmed, to me it was an expensive burger/ steak joint with slow service. To be fair to them, they had just opened for the evening but would not rush back to it. Its kind of like Captain America's / Eddie Rockets and pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Stheno wrote: »
    I've a "significant"! birthday this year and a really good dinner is my one big wish gift wise.

I like really fine food, but the OH is a steak and chips man. So far I've identified Bon Appetit in Malahide as a runner, any other suggestions?

The best meal I've ever had in my life was in Bon appetit. Went for a wedding anniversary. If you want something memorable, you will never forget it.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kumsheen

I don't know if take-away's are to be discussed here but i had both pasta dishes and pizza from Fabio's in Swords recently and it was great. Huge portions too.
    The place is a bit out of the way being tucked up in Swords Manor but they do online orders and deliveries so not really an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Mr.Wemmick wrote: »
    Went to Gourmet Burger in Swords Pavillions, after running very late with a couple of starving kids on my hands, and I must say found it very good. I wasn't aware it was there as it is tucked away from the main thoroughfare of the shopping centre, but after we spotted a sign, we decided to try it - glad we did.

Great service. We were offered and brought extra mayo, sauces, dips.. everything was fresh and the kids loved their burgers. The chips and garlic mayo were fresh and delicious - the nicest I have had in a while.

My only complaint is there was too much food and I was stuffed to the gills :P

Just spotted this post, +1 for Gourmet Burger.
    Not cheap, but excellent food and worth the extra few €
    Indulge yourself the next time you plan on hitting McDonalds and try GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Headed to the Bracken Court on Friday. The missus had something from the a La Carte menu which she thoroughly enjoyed. The future sister in law had a burger which looked amazing and was reported to be excellent. They are experimenting with a pizza menu so I tried the smoked chicken and bacon. Unfortunately it was for the most part pretty flavourless but it's a new thing for them so can let it slide.

What I can't let slide is Raff's on the Corner in Skerries. We headed to Skerries looking to go to Ollies but just missed food being served. We headed down the street to Raff's where the future sister in law ordered a chicken pizza and liked it. However the missus and myself ordered two different burgers and were left hugely underwhelmed. The meat was absolutely tasteless as was the rest of the burger. I'm not fussy nor am I demanding but this was utterly the most tasteless burger I've ever had. How do you get a burger wrong? Topping it all off the chunky chips were far too oily.

It was my first time there and as we were both hugely disappointed (c'mon, a burger is impossible to get wrong!) we won't be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭shooter69

Agree, Raffs is muck ! Also had a bad experience with the burger, thought it was gone off!! Myself and the two guys I was with sent them back , staff were snotty and won't be going back . Have never seen the place with more than 20 people in it and with food and service like that it won't be around for long . Been to windmill three or four times now and food is A1 ...

Was only in Raffs once and enjoyed it. Was a few months ago though

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Kumsheen wrote: »
    I don't know if take-away's are to be discussed here but i had both pasta dishes and pizza from Fabio's in Swords recently and it was great. Huge portions too.
    The place is a bit out of the way being tucked up in Swords Manor but they do online orders and deliveries so not really an issue.

I tried Fabios out a few weeks ago on the basis of your post, and am delighted with it.

Lovely pizza, the pasta dishes are also great, and they do suppli, which I have loved ever since I spent a holiday in Rome, but find hard to get here :)

You're right about the portions too, I'd never finish a portion of any pasta dish that they do :)

Drove past Gourmet Food Parlour in Swords last night and it appeared to be open late, so checked out their site, and they now do Tapas on Thurs/Fri/Sat (used to be just Fri/Sat). They have also doubled the size of the restaurant seven months ago. The decor/layout is lovely, it's a very relaxing environment.

We decided we'd head down there tonight on the spur of the moment, and it was absolutely gorgeous.

We only had an hour, so couldn't do the round 1/round 2 approach they take where you get two tapas at a time, so we had four at once, potatas bravas with chorizo, meatballs, lamb with a gorgeous beetroot puree, and tortilla.

They've a jazz singer on Fridays, the atmosphere was fantastic, and we absolutely enjoyed it, it reminded us of Ronnie Scotts which we visited in London last year.

Only quibble was that the service was about 90% I think tbh they were shortstaffed as the place was full (I'd say about 100 people) they had several very large tables, and it was hard to get the attention of the waiting staff, and they made a couple of mistakes with our order, which in fairness they were very quick to remedy.

Looks like this is going to become our Friday night "place to go" four plates of tapas, a couple of glasses of wine, two Cokes (@ 1.75 each, and none of your mini bottles, these were full cans) coffee and dessert for one came to €50

We are both stuffed, and both of us can could easily imagine a more relaxed evening, having a couple of rounds of tapas at a more leisurely pace, enjoying the ambience, the music, and everything going on around us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Lovely meal last night at Pasta Castello in Donabate. Modelled as Italian but a bit of everything really.

Had Chicken Caesar starter with lovely crispy bacon bits. Dressing was superb.

Main was Spaghetti with meatballs. Large portion, maybe 7 or 8 good sized meatballs. Stuffed afterwards so no desert.

Would recommend and will return.

http://www.pastacastello.ie/

I know I've posted about this place in chit chat, but don't think I have here.

Anyway, this place is Blues Doghouse cafe in Howth, right beside the Bloody Stream.

Indoor and outdoor seating, jazzradio.com as a backdrop, very simple menu of things like wings, pizzas, quesadillas, mussels, wedges.
    Wine menu but no beer licence.

Anyway the decor is what can be called "eclectic" they have a small library if you fancy a coffee and a read, and outside the tables range from normal tables to a bed, a chess table, and a sofa (very comfortable way to spend a Sunday afternoon :) )

Went there this evening after a lovely day out great service as always, and with the good weather we enjoyed a sheltered table outside.

For anyone looking for an alternative to pub grub, this is great.

Finally went to the Windmill last night. Fantastic dinner. Had the Windmill steak and it was perfection. Lovely small intimate restaurant and great staff. Really enjoyed it and will be back to try the early bird menu which looked very good value.

It's our anniversary (5th) on Tuesday, so to celebrate, we went to Ollies with the OHs adult kids.

Super meal, kids raved about the food, service was great and we all had a fantastic time :)

Has to be one of my favourite places to go for a meal these days :)

Now that we have had the family celebration, we are having a "can't believe we are together five years" celebration in the tapas bar in bon appetit this Tuesday

I'm drooling just at the thought of it! Hopefully it will be a good report back :)

We got take out from Bombay Bistro in Rush on Saturday. Previously, the food had allways been of high quality. The Kids were happy with their usual kormas, but Mrs Billy & I were distinctly unimpressed with our dishes. :(

I'm thinking that the chef has probably changed as my regular dish appeared to be cooked totally differently this time, & certainly not for the better. Has anyone else noticed a change in the food there recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭I carried a watermelon

We got take out from Bombay Bistro in Rush on Saturday. Previously, the food had allways been of high quality. The Kids were happy with their usual kormas, but Mrs Billy & I were distinctly unimpressed with our dishes. :(

I'm thinking that the chef has probably changed as my regular dish appeared to be cooked totally differently this time, & certainly not for the better. Has anyone else noticed a change in the food there recently?

Yes, got a take-out from Bombay Bistro last week. Very poor, the nan bread tasted stale (hard texture) The chicken had a weird texture to it as well. I was very disappointed, delivery took over 1hour 15 minutes. I also got a new Bombay bistro takeaway menu through the letterbox the other day which has new dishes on it. (So it seems that something has changed)

I have to say, the bombay house in Skerries is lovely. The madras is gorgeous, love the Saag and the Baruchi Lamb Curry is lovely too. Haven't had a bad meal out of here yet, fingers crossed the standard stays high,

Haven't been to Chutney since Bombay house opened, I'm going to try Pure Indian in Rush soon, haven't been to them in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

I had a fantastic foodie weekend.
    Indie spice on friday night, was out of this world. Absolutely top shelf, and Mastersons on Saturday, which again was a flawless dinner. It was very slow in Mastersons, but we were going nowhere after so it was fine. If you had something planned you might be miffed. Food more than made up for it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭nompere

The OH took me to Geisha in Malahide at the weekend. It's in the marina, where Cruzzo used to be. She thinks it's wonderful, but she thought the same of Cruzzo as well.

I still think the whole place is too much style and not enough substance. The name of the restaurant suggests it's supposed to be Japanese, but it seems to me that the ownership isn't that brave, and the menu is longer on Chinese and Thai food than Japanese. So it's all kinds of Asian, which is never really a way of getting top notch food. There are too many compromises to be made.

I had the sushi/sashimi, which was nice enough, but bizarrely had a squeeze of what looked and tasted like marie rose sauce drizzled over it.

• Advertisement

Jimdagym wrote: »
    I had a fantastic foodie weekend.
    Indie spice on friday night, was out of this world. Absolutely top shelf, and Mastersons on Saturday, which again was a flawless dinner. It was very slow in Mastersons, but we were going nowhere after so it was fine. If you had something planned you might be miffed. Food more than made up for it anyway.

Mastersons tends to be slow, especially if they are busy, but it's always good, haven't been there in an age.

Advertisement