Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

23-10-2020, 17:31   #2266
Seth Brundle
Error: 404 Personality Not Found

Quote:
Originally Posted by padjocollins View Post
avid cyclist here . Why didn't you use the cycle lane ? Still no excuse for the drivers dangerous behaviour.
With extremely few exceptions, cycle lanes in Ireland are not designed for cyclists, nor are the designers familiar with cycling - this is obvious from their design.
To date, most cycle lanes are designed to help ensure that vehicles don't get delayed, no other reason. In many cases, cycle lanes can decrease safety for bike users.
The government know this (and to date have done nothing much about it) but it is for this reason that they are not mandatory.
Advertisement
23-10-2020, 17:58   #2267
padjocollins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Brundle View Post
With extremely few exceptions, cycle lanes in Ireland are not designed for cyclists, nor are the designers familiar with cycling - this is obvious from their design.
To date, most cycle lanes are designed to help ensure that vehicles don't get delayed, no other reason. In many cases, cycle lanes can decrease safety for bike users.
The government know this (and to date have done nothing much about it) but it is for this reason that they are not mandatory.

should have qualified my comment with . Avid cyclist in germany. no comparison to Ireland, unfortunately.
(2) thanks from:
23-10-2020, 20:03   #2268
Breezer

Lad on an electric scooter coming salmoning up the now protected, one way cycle lane on Church Street this evening, with vehicular traffic proceeding along on the other side of the bollards. I stopped dead and then eased past him as he gawked at me with his mouth open.
23-10-2020, 20:05   #2269
ED E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezer View Post
Lad on an electric scooter coming salmoning up the now protected, one way cycle lane on Church Street this evening, with vehicular traffic proceeding along on the other side of the bollards. I stopped dead and then eased past him as he gawked at me with his mouth open.
Lad who looks like he's been through 40yrs of substance abuse flying around on one on pedestrian routes all day today. Surprised to see the helmet.
23-10-2020, 21:40   #2270
tnegun

Quote:
Originally Posted by padjocollins View Post
should have qualified my comment with . Avid cyclist in germany. no comparison to Ireland, unfortunately.
I had a look back over the stuff I'd uploaded to streamable for incidents caused by using or occurring in cycle lanes here's a few showing the general state of cycle lanes in these country and these are probably some of our better ones! Certainly some were only a few weeks/months old in these videos.

Pinched

Plenty of room to squeeze in a lane here

Brand new lane complete with signs and traffic signals bonus pedestrian at the end

I'm turning left now

I'm going left now

Me too

Another pinch

Another brand new lane You can't really see it but just were the video starts it was decided to put a bus stop in the new lane after it was completed despite loads of room to do both at the planning stage!

Same lane another reason not to use it

Not using the same lane here encourages stupid passes so that you'll use it the next time I think is the logic

Another new lane being used as a turning bay

Bike what bike???

Two for one close call with car and truck then poor transition from brand new lane to the road.
Advertisement
23-10-2020, 22:07   #2271
Enfilade

Is it just me or is streamable an absolute pox for buffering ?
23-10-2020, 22:30   #2272
monty_python

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enfilade View Post
Is it just me or is streamable an absolute pox for buffering ?
It's the same for me
Thanks from:
23-10-2020, 22:35   #2273
Enfilade

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty_python View Post
It's the same for me
I watch my wifi icon in the system tray on the bottom right of my desktop when I click a link and it goes down to zero bars !!!! I'm going to have to have a good look into that, I've never seen any other website do that even if it's buffering and slow.
23-10-2020, 22:48   #2274
tnegun

Normally its fine for me but seems to be something up with it tonight
Advertisement
23-10-2020, 23:04   #2275
Seth Brundle
Error: 404 Personality Not Found

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnegun View Post
I had a look back over the stuff I'd uploaded to streamable for incidents caused by using or occurring in cycle lanes here's a few showing the general state of cycle lanes in these country and these are probably some of our better ones! Certainly some were only a few weeks/months old in these videos.

Pinched

Plenty of room to squeeze in a lane here

Brand new lane complete with signs and traffic signals bonus pedestrian at the end

I'm turning left now

I'm going left now

Me too

Another pinch

Another brand new lane You can't really see it but just were the video starts it was decided to put a bus stop in the new lane after it was completed despite loads of room to do both at the planning stage!

Same lane another reason not to use it

Not using the same lane here encourages stupid passes so that you'll use it the next time I think is the logic

Another new lane being used as a turning bay

Bike what bike???

Two for one close call with car and truck then poor transition from brand new lane to the road.
When I first saw the one near Maynooth, I decided to never use it. The end if it is a death trap!
The one along the new road outside Intel is poor mainly because of the merge onto the road. People on bikes are given no merging room and are directed out into manholes on a slight bend. You're better off on the road IMO.
(3) thanks from:
23-10-2020, 23:46   #2276
tnegun

Yeah there are some pretty poor ones around Maynooth, I stay out of most now and can say I've given them a chance! There was a cyclist down on the Straffen road this afternoon at one of the lanes that gives right of way across an entrance to an estate was left hooked and the bike crushed. Thankfully he was up and about but with comments that he was traveling too fast for the driver to see
24-10-2020, 05:44   #2277
buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnegun View Post
Yeah there are some pretty poor ones around Maynooth, I stay out of most now and can say I've given them a chance! There was a cyclist down on the Straffen road this afternoon at one of the lanes that gives right of way across an entrance to an estate was left hooked and the bike crushed. Thankfully he was up and about but with comments that he was traveling too fast for the driver to see
"Cyclist achieves faster than light speed travel"
(2) thanks from:
24-10-2020, 19:05   #2278
BoardsMember

Cycling up Kellystown Road earlier with son. Coming up to this corner: https://maps.app.goo.gl/Uo5Zy4o5UWJNnVDb7

Going slowly after the long pull up the hill. Coming to the blind and I hear car behind. I hear it drop down gears, assuming its going to go really slow while we round the completely blind bend. Then the revs raise. So I turn and hold my hand up, taking the middle of the road, telling them to stop. I decide to idle back to have a word.

He rolls down window. Very politely I ask "were you really planning overtaking us on a blind bend". For those who don't know it, only one car fits the width of the road. He considers his response "you should use the main road". Drives off.
Thanks from:
24-10-2020, 21:43   #2279
CramCycle
A wholly unreasonable man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoardsMember View Post
He rolls down window. Very politely I ask "were you really planning overtaking us on a blind bend". For those who don't know it, only one car fits the width of the road. He considers his response "you should use the main road". Drives off.
Dear f*cking lord, you really cannot win. On the main road you'd be given out too for not using quieter roads. Use quieter roads and you get this sh1t. Cycle on the path and people give you dirty looks because whether you sow down or not for passing them to close, you cycle on the road to avoid pissing off peds and you have motorists trying to skim you even though they can see the lane is blocked by others.

What do people f*cking want.

Hope your son is OK
24-10-2020, 22:15   #2280
sy_flembeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CramCycle View Post
Dear f*cking lord, you really cannot win. On the main road you'd be given out too for not using quieter roads. Use quieter roads and you get this sh1t. Cycle on the path and people give you dirty looks because whether you sow down or not for passing them to close, you cycle on the road to avoid pissing off peds and you have motorists trying to skim you even though they can see the lane is blocked by others.

What do people f*cking want.

Hope your son is OK
With the ongoing saga on the Dun Laoghaire open forum on FB over the new cycle tracks you have one fool reckoning that cyclists congregating (in groups) are spreading Covid 19 wherever they go (this is pre level 3). Another one - a persistent whinger, claiming NOT to be anti-cyclist, reckons that rather than them being on the road they should be on a raised structure on stilts along the coast - the glaring dangers seemingly passing him by. You'd really have to wonder how some people's minds work.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion