Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-10-2020, 11:38   #16
carbonceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidot View Post
How do people keep the training tempo up?

I headed out for a quick 5M run this morning and just found it hard. The time wasn't terrible - roughly what I'm doing for this route regularly but it just felt slow, felt like I was slogging around, and after it I feel more tired and worn than usual.

I don't think I did anything particularly differently, had same breakfast and same routine until I headed out. Only difference was that I wore tracksuit pants instead of shorts and I won't be doing that again - felt that they were touching my leg all the time if that makes sense.
Fitness for endurance is built over the long term and over that long term you are going to have days where you have less energy than normal and days where you have more energy than normal, nobody feels the exact same every day.

I think the key is to take a more relaxed approach and move on to the next session, don't dwell on a single day where you ran slower than normal, it happens everyone. if it occurs a few days in a row, maybe back off for a bit until you feel the appetite to push on again but you shouldn't expect that your body will feel the same every day.

I always try to keep my eye on the long run, and that includes decades ahead into old age. the goal is to be as fit and as active and as healthy as you can be for as long as possible. Sustained periods of regular training will serve you much better in the long run than sporadic periods where you ramp up the training super fast and are then forced to ramp it back down just as fast through exhaustion / injury.

I don't know your training background before your log started, but it feels like you have increased your training load significantly over the last few weeks and now you are running out of steam a little. my gut instinct would be to rein it in a little, consolidate the good work you have already done and then try to build on that by increasing the training load at a steadier pace.

I'm not a nutrition expert, but I don't think you need gels for a training run of 1hr 15 mins. You should already have more than enough energy on board to cope with that. If you are running out of steam towards the end, it's most likely you are running too fast and need to slow down.
Advertisement
12-10-2020, 09:22   #17
Nidot

Sun - 04/10
Rest Day

Mon - 05/10
Swim 720m
Duration 0:21:07
Pace 29:19/KM
This could be my last swim for a while as the hotel where the pool is based has closed after the discovery of a COVID case. Could be a blessing in disguise as we've decided to move to another location for our pool and gym membership. The pool is only 18m long so it's more for splashing around really.

Tues - 06/10
Spinning 55mins
Good just to get the legs going when it's raining outside.

Weds - 07/10
Rest Day

Thursday - 08/10
Run 8.1KM
Duration 0:47:08
Pace 5:48/KM
This is the run I posted about last week where I just couldn't get it going. Nothing wrong before I went out just didn't have a good run. I definitely made the mistake trying it in sports pants - won't be doing that again felt like my legs were totally worn after it and I'm putting it down to this.

Friday - 09/10
Bike 13.8KM
Duration 0:42:24
Pace 19.5KM
Ok this session while slow in overall speed terms is probably how I need to use short time during lunch on the bike. There's a hill coming out of home which I set about going up and coming back around to the start for several loops. Mistake I made is that the loop took me through an estate to get back to the bottom of the hill which totally slowed me down - the path goes through a public area so loads of people out walking who I'm trying not to kill in my pursuit of time.

Sat - 10/10
Rest Day

Overall happy enough with the week but the biggest disappointment came on Saturday night when the Clon Marathon was cancelled. I can see why it's being cancelled but it's another race gone from the calendar - I don't know how they'll fit so many redo's in next year.

The pool situation will hopefully be sorted within a few weeks as the pool we're thinking of moving to has a 25M pool with several lanes so much more conducive to my training plans.

Thanks to Carbonceiling for what you have said. To give a bit of plan I'm currently using a hybrid Fink plan which I'm having to adjust due to the pool situation. My plan is that come February I'll be comfortably able to fit all the base sessions from Finks plan into my own schedule and have the fitness built up to maintain that. Then use Finks 6 month plan to get me to August - I'm giving myself the extra 2 months to take step back weeks during the schedule so as I'm not over loading myself.

Last edited by Nidot; 12-10-2020 at 09:41.
19-10-2020, 14:26   #18
Nidot

Sun - 11/10
Run 8.12KM
Duration 0:44:38
Pace 5:29/KM
It may not be fast for anyone else but this was a great little achievement for me. Doing 5M below 45mins is a yardstick I wanted to get to in preparation for the road races next year and to of acheieved it so early in my training I'm very happy.

My plan in terms of road races next year includes John Treacy and Sonia O'Sullivan 10 milers in Feb and April respectively and I'm hoping to go below 1:30 in both.

It also puts a sub 2:00 half-marathon as a realistic goal with Clon in March and Cork in June, with both leading into the RACE in August.

I'm being far too optimistic really tho. I'm writing this as we're set to hear what the cabinet have decided for Level 4 / 5 lockdown for the next few weeks so any racing plans should have a big 'IF' next to them. And with the pools pretty much closed for action my swim training has gone to pot. I was planning on going to a 25m public pool close by this week, try to get there more than once a week until I sort my own membership issues, but I can't see these places being open for much use either.

Mon - 12/10
Rest Day.

Tues - 13/10
Spinning 40mins
Set it up in the garage so trying to get sessions in at lunch for this week.

Wed - 14/10
Spinning 60mins

Thurs - 15/10
Run 9.29KM
Duration 0:52:06
Pace 5:36/KM
I had to drop a package over to the post office so just used it as an opportunity to get a quick run in. Nothing spectacular just solid pounding pavement. I got home afterwards and my eldest said I was literally dripping swet - I don't know is that a good thing or bad, or a compliment or not but felt grand out after it.

Fri - 16/10
Rest Day.

Sat - 17/10
Rest Day.

Overall happy enough with what I did turned out. I'm feeling more comfortable on the turbo for cycling for an hour so looking to bring that up to 1:30 over the next few weeks as a standard session - the new bike should be in hand soon enough so would like to get out on that aswell.

The running has once again proven to be comfortable for me so I'll keep up that sort of mileage over the next few week.

Anyway onwards and upwards as we await what comes out of todays COVID announcement.
19-10-2020, 14:39   #19
joey100

Can I ask, are you following a plan? Are you being honest about your rest days, are they planned or you waking up thinking I'll take a rest day. Seems to be a fair few in the last 2 weeks, think 6 days? Little and often might be a better approach than stretching out your current sessions. So rather than stretching the turbo out to 90 mins aim for 2x 1hrs instead. I'm not trying to pick holes in anything your doing, just curious.
Thanks from:
20-10-2020, 15:29   #20
Nidot

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey100 View Post
Can I ask, are you following a plan? Are you being honest about your rest days, are they planned or you waking up thinking I'll take a rest day. Seems to be a fair few in the last 2 weeks, think 6 days? Little and often might be a better approach than stretching out your current sessions. So rather than stretching the turbo out to 90 mins aim for 2x 1hrs instead. I'm not trying to pick holes in anything your doing, just curious.
Thanks for the feedback, it's important to think of these elements.

So to start with my aim is to ensure come August I can fully get around the course, like I said 8:29:59 and I'm happy. I'm hoping that with some training and enough prep I can get better than that.

I'm not following any specific training plan yet but I plan on following an Ash/Penker plan to get me to race day. The plan itself doesn't kick in properly until 3 months before the event so I'm hoping that I can put myself in good position with that come April next year, so giving myself plenty of time.

The plan has only 5 sessions per week with the peak number of hours training per week at 12 hours. In the fourth month of the plan it has the training of 6-8 hours per week and my aim is to get my own training up to this standard with the ability to:
  • Run Half-Marathon
    Cycle 3 Hours
    Swim Mile

I think given my current training I can comfortably aim to run half marathon and cycle the 3 hours by Feb with the only uncertainty being the swimming - COVID dependent with all swim training at the moment.

In the plan for beginner it states that you should be able to do a 6:00/6:30 time with the following breakdown:
  • Swim 1.2M - 0:45:00
    Cycle 56M - 3:10:00 (hoping to bring my training up to this over the winter)
    Run 13.1M - 2:10:00 (should be capable of a time close to this by Feb on current training)
Thanks from:
Advertisement
22-10-2020, 10:56   #21
Nidot

Got the flu jab yesterday and must say I've been knocked by it - feeling no energy in my legs or arms today.

I'm pro-vaccine, just saying how I'm feeling after getting it.

Hopefully the feeling will pass by the weekend.
22-10-2020, 19:04   #22
S_D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidot View Post
Got the flu jab yesterday and must say I've been knocked by it - feeling no energy in my legs or arms today.

I'm pro-vaccine, just saying how I'm feeling after getting it.

Hopefully the feeling will pass by the weekend.

Strange..its not a live vaccine?... maybe just the added recent load.
23-10-2020, 09:37   #23
Nidot

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_D View Post
I was thinking more the effects of the vaccine:
Quote:
Flu vaccine side effects
You may have a mild fever and aching muscles for a couple of days after having the vaccine. Your arm may also be a bit sore where you got the injection.
23-10-2020, 09:40   #24
carbonceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_D View Post
I use an Oura ring to monitor overnight HRV. Last year I got the flu vaccine for the first time and my HRV dropped immediately afterwards, way way lower than normal. it took about 3 or 4 days for it to get back to normal levels. I was surprised because, as you say it is not a live vaccine but it's definitley having some sort of impact on your body.
Advertisement
23-10-2020, 10:31   #25
Nidot

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonceiling View Post
I use an Oura ring to monitor overnight HRV. Last year I got the flu vaccine for the first time and my HRV dropped immediately afterwards, way way lower than normal. it took about 3 or 4 days for it to get back to normal levels. I was surprised because, as you say it is not a live vaccine but it's definitley having some sort of impact on your body.
It would definitely make people think of when they're going to get it, I couldn't imagine getting it if I was building up to a match, race or something - I'm grand enough in that I can just take it easy for a few days.
27-10-2020, 09:24   #26
Nidot

Sun - 18/10
Spinning 55mins

Mon - 19/10
Run - 8.11KM
Duration - 0:45:24
Pace - 5:36/KM
Lovely run over lunch. Back at the desk for the afternoon and really felt the mental benefits of getting out for it

Tues - 20/10
Swim - 1.1KM
Duration - 0:30:23
Pace - 28:08/KM
Last swimming session for a while I' say
Went back to the hotel pool where we are joined just to get a session in as my swimming had gone to the dogs. Felt grand and able for the session and I know I was taking it easy - plenty left at the end of the hald hour time limit. I wonder how swimming pools will handle everything once lockdown eases?

Weds - 21/10
Flu Jab

Thurs / Fri - 22/10 & 23/10
Feeling the effects of Flu jab.

Sat - 24/10
Spinning for 50 mins to get something done for the day. Feeling better since Wednesdays Flu jab.

Sun - 25/10
Cycle - 20.96KM
Duration - 1:00:49
Pace - 2:54/KM
Outdoor spin on the bike. Felt good going across town. I didn't head out on any particular cycle route as I wanted to stay local in case of rain (didn't fancy getting a soaking on top of the Flu jab reaction from earlier in the week) and I was vindicated when after 45 mins the heavens opened up and it lashed rain. I was lucky to nip in under the awning of entrance way to a house and waited it out there before heading for home mostly dry and thankful that I hadn't gone far.

Mon - 26/10
Run - 8.59KM
Duration - 0:47:33
Pace - 5:32/KM
Quick run over lunch. Didn't get caught in any rain and I was back in time to enjoy the rest of the afternoon.

Overall very happy with how training went over the last few days, apart from the Flu jab laying me low, which allowed me get a few sessions in.
Thanks from:
02-11-2020, 09:56   #27
Nidot

Tues - 27/10
Rest Day

Weds - 28/10
Run - 8.67KM
Duration - 0:49:26
Pace - 5:42/KM

Thurs - 29/10
Spin for an hour on the Turbo. Ordered sensors from Amazon to get some feedback on how my power and distance is so will set them up once I have them in hand. Will probably join Zwift aswell to give it a go over the winter months.

Fri - 30/10
Run - 14.89KM
Duration - 1:28:53
Pace - 5:58/KM

Very happy with this run as I had to take a detour about 40 mins around as nature called which cost me about 5 mins as I jumped the fence into a wooded area for coverage.

Sat - 31/10
Rest day with the family.
Thanks from:
02-11-2020, 10:07   #28
Nidot

So how am I feeling coming to the end of October?

On a stats basis I'm fairly happy:

Run Total - 79.8KM
Average Pace - 5:40/KM

Cycle Total - 34.8KM
Average Pace - 2:57/KM
There were also 6:30 spent on the turbo spinning during the month so that will hopefully continue.

Swim Total - 2.5KM
Average Pace - 29:16/KM

So I know for most people these aren't any great stats to be writing home about but I know where I need to focus aswell as that's important.

The cycle distance will have to increase along with the regularity of getting out on the bike into actual roads but given winter is coming in I don't know where this is going to happen so I'm happy that I'm getting 3 or so sessions a week on the Turbo.

Swimming of course is gone to the dogs and I'm waiting to see how it'll be impacted with COVID. I'm not sure I want to trying to increase my swimming distance until I can get there more regularly and who knows when that'll be...

Anyway into November with all the hope a new month brings. I'm really excited actually to get the speed and cadence sensor for the Turbo and hook them up to give Zwift a try - from all the coverage on instagram and other training websites it looks like good fun.

I'm hoping to continue the running training at 2/3 times a week with a thought in the back of my head that I'm going to do a half marathon distance run myself towards the end of November and see what time I'm capable of putting down. I'm thinking 2:00 should be in my range and if I get that I'd be delighted as it's 15 mins quicker than I've ran an official half before.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion