Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

26-07-2020, 16:51   #1
Vladi_

Wicklow/Lough Dan

Hi,
I'm very new to wild camping in Ireland so don't mind noob questions.
We're (2 people) looking to camp in Wicklow mountains for 2 nights, mid August. For now my spot of choice is Lough Dan. Here's what I'm looking to find out:
What's the best/safest place to park, how busy is it during the week, is it hard to access (because of the private properties) and also would you recommend it and if not could you recommend some other nice and secluded spot?
Thanks. 😊
Advertisement
27-07-2020, 09:29   #2
Tabnabs

Lough Dan is currently closed to all wild camping. Large groups and over-use have left the place in tatters. It had become the Benidorm of Irish "wild camping".

Recommendations are few and far between now because of all the issues with abandoned tents, firepits, rubbish etc.
(2) thanks from:
27-07-2020, 09:40   #3
Vladi_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabnabs View Post
Lough Dan is currently closed to all wild camping. Large groups and over-use have left the place in tatters. It had become the Benidorm of Irish "wild camping".

Recommendations are few and far between now because of all the issues with abandoned tents, firepits, rubbish etc.
Oh. Haven't seen any info on that on the National park webpage. 🀔
Very sad how people treat the nature.
27-07-2020, 14:20   #4
Tabnabs

https://wicklownews.net/2020/07/acce...cial-behavior/

confirmation that it's closed until mid August, at least.
27-07-2020, 14:25   #5
Vladi_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabnabs View Post
https://wicklownews.net/2020/07/acce...cial-behavior/

confirmation that it's closed until mid August, at least.
Thanks, I didn't mean that I don't believe you, just that I've missed that in my research.
I'm going around the 20th of August so maybe there's some hope...
Advertisement
18-10-2020, 00:23   #6
El_robbo1980

Hi guys

Does anyone know the actual boundary of the Luggala Estate/WMNP around Lough Dan? The map on the WMNP shows the lake as not being part of the park but I’ve heard it mentioned before that the small section of beach in the NW corner of the lake (where I wild camped a few years back) is part of the park and not private property? I know parts of the lake were left in tatters over the summer which is disgraceful and so I’m keen on future rambles not to stray into private/prohibited areas of the lake

Many thanks
19-10-2020, 09:36   #7
Tabnabs

East West maps are very good for illustrating clearly what's private and what's public when it comes to forestry and other significant boundaries, be worth buying their map to be clear either way.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion