Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

19-06-2020, 10:33   #1
LaptopGremlin

Possible to work part time as a community pharmacist?

I'm hanging in the balance as to choice of physiotherapy or pharmacy as career path.
"Torn", you could say.

Yes I've contact faculty directors and basically been given green light for admission application to either.

My concern regarding pharmacy is,
1) 5 year program vs 3 year physio
2) And this is the main one - (I realize I had another thread on this recently but didn't get sufficient clarity before it was locked) - working hours;

As a pharmacist, is it actually necessary to work 5 days typical 8 to 9 hour day (sometimes 10, depending I assume)?
Can you simply roster yourself to do 2 or 3 days?

See my lifestyle is not expensive. I just need money for the basics.
Hell I try to stay green so don't even use a car.
Costs are low, and priority is do muh job, not let muh job do me.

Feedback I got in the other thread was, community pharmacy is taxing, long hours, stressful - not the easy life.

Is there any way to make it the easy life?

Just schedule hours so you don't have to do as much, albeit for a smaller paycheck?

Or is it more so, if your contracted to a position, expect to do the 40 to 50 hour work week, no exceptions.

As always, your feedback is profoundly appreciated.
Advertisement
20-06-2020, 21:58   #2
locum-motion

You made it painfully obvious in your previous thread that you have nothing but contempt for pharmacists, despite not having a phucking clue what we do.

Just go away.

You’re only trolling.
(3) thanks from:
20-06-2020, 23:01   #3
LaptopGremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by locum-motion View Post
You made it painfully obvious in your previous thread that you have nothing but contempt for pharmacists, despite not having a phucking clue what we do.

Just go away.

You’re only trolling.
Your wrong, cuz.

Due to lack of response here I DM'd the contributors from the other thread, and await elucidation.

The question at hand stands (don't know if I mentioned but, this is my 2nd opportunity at college - I'm not gonna have a 3rd), is it known that pharmacists can work more like 20 hour weeks if they shift the schedule in their favour?

That would be 2 days, or 30 hour weeks by way of 3 days.

Ees posible?

Do any pharmacists do this?

Or it a min 40 hour work week like engineering (which was more 50 to 60 hour week), no half measures.

All in or you're all out type of deal?

Or is there more leeway with pharmacy?
20-06-2020, 23:07   #4
Water John

You think physio is easier work than pharamacy?
20-06-2020, 23:25   #5
Mjolnir

I know someone that works in their local pharmacists part time.
Physio has a lot of obstacles when going private, you start out no one knows you and you'll have a low client base. You'll also spend your days taking knots out of people thats where a lot of the private physio work is at the minute. Its also not a gold mine I know several, none are extremely well off or some aren't even comfortable and struggle getting clients.
Both will require intensive course work, pharmacist students aren't allowed to be paid on placement either.
If you want a job that brings in enough in 20 hours per week why not just take up thai massage or the like?
Advertisement
20-06-2020, 23:26   #6
Mjolnir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water John View Post
given the physical effort mine has to exert to try remove some of my knots not even the most extreme it definitely isn't.
Thanks from:
20-06-2020, 23:35   #7
Water John

Not sure and will check, but I thought the dictat that pharma placements couldn't be paid was reconsidered.
Have a family member doing it so, it affects me financially.
20-06-2020, 23:44   #8
Mjolnir

Quote:
Not sure and will check, but I thought the dictat that pharma placements couldn't be paid was reconsidered.
Have a family member doing it so, it affects me financially.
Could be changed or changing recently last I heard about it was everyone campaigning for change I'm open to correction. Miles from my area of study so haven't kept up on it . Even if the bans been removed it will most certainly be optional. We know what this country is like for optionally paid workers
20-06-2020, 23:46   #9
Water John

In fairness a family member did accounting and was paid a reasonable amount, €200/week. Not one of the famous five though.
Advertisement
20-06-2020, 23:52   #10
Mjolnir

Quote:
In fairness a family member did accounting and was paid a reasonable amount, €200/week. Not one of the famous five though.
All depends on the employer and degree really.
Was that placement during college?
Top 5 for law and accounting are incredibly competitive because of what they do offer. Its funny really because what they offer is what attracts the talent and makes the money to let them offer what they do.
20-06-2020, 23:56   #11
Water John

Yeah. Don't know what the five offer but they are though to work for. If you go with them after college, all except EY don't give you any time off to study for your exams.

The argument being made about pharmacy was, that the pharmacist was evaluating your work placement and paying the student would compromise that.
Load of bollocks.
21-06-2020, 00:03   #12
Mjolnir

Quote:
Yeah. Don't know what the five offer but they are though to work for. If you go with them after college, all except EY don't give you any time off to study for your exams.

The argument being made about pharmacy was, that the pharmacist was evaluating your work placement and paying the student would compromise that.
Load of bollocks.
I'm not up on accounting, in law when we're finished we do get time off for blackhall but the law society regulates everything and very well I must say. But like that the top 5 work you hard. I suppose given what they offer and that you're in one of the top firms its to be expected.

I always found that argument gas to be honest, regardless of being payed you're either competent or not. Pay can often motivate some to be more competent than working for free.
21-06-2020, 07:50   #13
LaptopGremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
I know someone that works in their local pharmacists part time.
Physio has a lot of obstacles when going private, you start out no one knows you and you'll have a low client base. You'll also spend your days taking knots out of people thats where a lot of the private physio work is at the minute. Its also not a gold mine I know several, none are extremely well off or some aren't even comfortable and struggle getting clients.
Both will require intensive course work, pharmacist students aren't allowed to be paid on placement either.
If you want a job that brings in enough in 20 hours per week why not just take up thai massage or the like?
lol - good one!

But in essence that's what I AM doing at the moment.
I got a base cert in MSK and tagged a bunch of certs in all the "knot-removing" modalities onto it.

In theory, everything a uni-trained physio can offer in terms of hands on modalities, I can actually offer (probably more actually, cause I went on a cert bender and did everything on the market).

Issue arises in,
1) most people like to work with an actual uni trained physio
2) naturally a uni qualification is held in much higher regard and you can work in a hospital with rehabilitation patients etc.
3) diagnostic and overall anatomical knowledge of physios totally eclipses my knowledge base in that sense. They learn about muscle attachment by way of dissecting cadavers for Christ sakes.

The question here was pharmacy specifically, it's feasible to cut that stressful "all-in" working week of 40/50 hours down to bite size, 25/30 hours by simply roster yourself for 2 or 3 days or doing half days?

This is the deciding factor to me.

If I'm told, "forget about it, you're gonna work your fingers to the bone, 50 per no half measures", then pharmacy is off the table.
21-06-2020, 07:58   #14
LaptopGremlin

Quote:
"Work" is all relative fren.

If you're in the flow state, you'll never do a days real work in your life.

The question is not so much work ease or difficulty.

The question is actually time application and remuneration relative to that time.

As per other thread, I NEED my extra-curricular time; that's sacred to me.
I don't have high living costs therefore a career path that yields good juice for a modest enough squeeze (time wise), that's my objective.

Thus, pharmacists - they NEED to do 50 hour weeks?

Physio, I can schedule my own appointments and work my own hours, cool, I know that.
But pharmacy, is it unusual that some pharmacists would work reduced hours also?
21-06-2020, 11:39   #15
Water John

TMK there are sort of agency shifts available. Don't know the website but the pay rates are very high. If you're demand for money is low, I'd say a couple of shifts per week would make you enough.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion