Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Whats your commute to work like?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

90 seconds each way, 4 times a day as I come home for my lunch hour. Not an accident, paid highly for a house right by my work and at the worst time but overall I still think it's worth it reading what other people have to go through daily.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭devlinio

For all those talking about 3-15 minute walk from home, do you find that if work is stressful, that it annoys you being so close to it?

I think 15-20 minutes is practically required in terms of getting your head cleared after the day but if I was going out for a walk on a saturday morning and saw the door of the office around the corner, I think it would tick me off if I wasn't feeling too positive about my job.

There was a guy in my old job who lived next door to the office. This wasn't planned, the office moved and it was coincidental.

The manager expected him to stay late as he didn't have a commute home. He was probably the bigger fool, as we did stay. He had him in until 10 PM one night to meet a deadline, and he was expected to be me one hour later than usual the next morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,140 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

10 minute drive or about 20 minunte cycle depending on the weather or how lazy / tired / energetic I am. I cycle more often than I drive though. I used to be over an hour drive there and back and it was soul destroying. Honestly my quality of life has improved since I spend less time commuting

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

25 minutes drive each way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

devlinio wrote: »
    There was a guy in my old job who lived next door to the office. This wasn't planned, the office moved and it was coincidental.

The manager expected him to stay late as he didn't have a commute home. He was probably the bigger fool, as we did stay. He had him in until 10 PM one night to meet a deadline, and he was expected to be me one hour later than usual the next morning.
    That's ridiculous, but as you said, he was the bigger fool. It's nice to be in a position to do a little extra if it's needed (and in exceptional circumstances) but it shouldn't be expected just because you live nearby.

• Advertisement

Hmm, all these posts talking about home office's is making me think maybe I should do that when I move later this year.

Do any of ye share a home office with your partner who also works from home? Or would two separate ones be better?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

A 20 minute drive to work at the Airport, with the occasional farming Tractor or city folk hogging up the width of the road cycling.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

About an 1hr in the morning door to door with approximately 30-40 minutes of that on the bus. The rest is walking to and from bus stops.

I've started walking home most evenings, which takes about 65-70 minutes. It's often quicker than getting the bus, as there can be stupidly long gaps between the buses in the evening. I also save a little money and get decent enough exercise.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Hmm, all these posts talking about home office's is making me think maybe I should do that when I move later this year.

Do any of ye share a home office with your partner who also works from home? Or would two separate ones be better?

If you need to constantly be on phones/meetings, then it doesn't really work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭blackwhite

30 min cycle each way - about 10km but quite a few major road crossings slow it down. Wife works nearby and the drive is 40-45 min in the mornings :D

Only started here in last 4 months. Previous job was 75km commute, and took approx 60-75 min each way in the car, depending on M50 traffic.

Location, and being able to cycle, were a factor in deciding to change jobs TBH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

About fifteen minutes each way. I pop home for lunch most days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭Raoul

That's ridiculous, but as you said, he was the bigger fool. It's nice to be in a position to do a little extra if it's needed (and in exceptional circumstances) but it shouldn't be expected just because you live nearby.

I recently moved to within 15 min of work. My boss said to me yesterday, "at least you live closer now you will be able to work longer in the evenings". :confused::confused:

Some people are ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Raoul wrote: »
    I recently moved to within 15 min of work. My boss said to me yesterday, "at least you live closer now you will be able to work longer in the evenings". :confused::confused:

To which you could have said "At least now I'll be able to go to the gym/visit friends/have a life.". :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Finglas to Sandyford on the m50, half hour each way, 7am in, 4pm out

OR

Bus-Luas takes about an hour door to door in the morning (40E to Broombridge, Luas to Central Park), I don't go that way home because the days I don't take the car I'd be going to the pub after work.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,124 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I don't have a partner but I do work for home occasionally. I also don't have a separate room for the office. I live in a small apartment. So I find that working from home can be very distracting for me.

Weirdly I've found the best way to get work done is to embrace the distraction. I work for an hour, then hop on the xbox for 15 minutes and play some fast paced game. Then I return to work. By playing those games I seem to get the distraction out of my system and I can focus better on work.

Honestly though, having to work from home everyday would drive me insane. I need to go to the office occasionally.

My current commute is just less than an hour to get to work. 10 minute walk to bus. 45 minutes on the bus and then 5 minutes to the office. Going home the bus can take an hour and 15 minutes.

I'd love to live closer but I work in smithfield so there's no way I could afford to live within 10 minutes of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,379 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

It takes me about 45 minutes both ways.I don't mind 99% of the time I get a seat on the bus and watch something on netflix or listen to a podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭oLoonatic

40 minute cycle each way. or twice that by bus!! public transport is very poor in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

About 10 seconds from kitchen to home office upstairs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

2 buses, takes around an hour. Doesn't really bother me that much

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Raoul wrote: »

More than that, some people are c**ts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭Raoul

To which you could have said "At least now I'll be able to go to the gym/visit friends/have a life.". :D

I just said "ah yeah :o"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Grayson wrote: »
    I'd love to live closer but I work in smithfield so there's no way I could afford to live within 10 minutes of work.

could move somewhere that's on the LUAS. Its about 15 minutes on the LUAS from Drimnagh to Smithfield, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

15 min cycle. Was number 1 preference when buying the house. Think people are finally coming around to it. 5+hours in a car a week is not a good life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Portmarnock to Phoenix Park.

I mix it up with cycling or a motorbike.

By bicycle I've a 40+km per day, but I love cycling.

On the motorbike its less than 30 minutes via the M50. But it can be a nightmare depending on how many crashes happen on a particular morning (I sometimes wonder if the M50 can count its accident free days per year on one hand).

I've a car but there's no way I'd take that on the M50 mid week, not a hope.
    This has been done to death at this stage.

First time I've seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭SaltSweatSugar

Roughly 30 minute drive each way, 25 on a good day. I have two routes that I can take; one motorway and one old road but there isn’t a whole lot of difference in the two. I’m lucky that the hours I’d be starting/finishing work aren’t near rush hour. I could get a bus, but the timetable wouldn’t link up to my starting/finishing hours very well.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

For the first time in 20 years, I have a commute which is less than an hour. Be it from Clonskeagh to Blanchardstown, or Dublin to Emeryville, an hour at the short end, up to two hours if there's slightly worse than usual traffic.
    A year ago last week, I changed to working from home. So my commute is bedroom to kitchen (for coffee) to home office.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

amcalester wrote: »
    I did that for a few years. it was always a headwind, every freaking day.

Yep. Decent training though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,140 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

oLoonatic wrote: »
    40 minute cycle each way. or twice that by bus!! public transport is very poor in this country.

Bus would take twice as long for me as well. Cycling is actually the quickest way for me to get to work. Although I still drive if the weather is crap. Galway city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭bellylint

It was 3 hours and 20 mins, now, with same job it is <15s as I can now work from home... It is awesome though will not be much longer-lived.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

20 mins. With school holiday traffic I was in and out in ten today.

Advertisement