Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the every day items that you despise?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I was shown this trick before, and it works pretty well for a single duvet. A king size, not so much. Or maybe some people are destined to never master this

I lay the duvet cover out flat on the bed and then kneel on the bed and take two corners of the duvet and feed them up through to the the corners of the cover. I switch sides, grab the corners firmly in place and shake the hell out of the duvet so the cover falls down over it. Back to the other end and pull it down making sure the duvet corners are in the cover corners at the bottom properly and do it up. I'm not quite 5 foot and this is a king size duvet, works well for me and only takes minutes.

I hate tin openers, I can rarely get them to work properly first time. I also hate toilet brushes, necessary but manky yokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Suckler

Flip-flops. I loathe the things. Not only are they ugly as hell and expose people's ugly feet to the world, they're noisy as hell. And bad for you.
    Aglomerado wrote: »
    Flip-flops in the office, the annual migration will take place soon. Thankfully my current workplace is quite formal!

When people question the need for office dress codes and the usual line of 'adults can dress themselves' etc. come out; these posts should be stapled to their faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,395 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Rubberlegs wrote: »
    I lay the duvet cover out flat on the bed and then kneel on the bed and take two corners of the duvet and feed them up through to the the corners of the cover. I switch sides, grab the corners firmly in place and shake the hell out of the duvet so the cover falls down over it. Back to the other end and pull it down making sure the duvet corners are in the cover corners at the bottom properly and do it up. I'm not quite 5 foot and this is a king size duvet, works well for me and only takes minutes.

I hate tin openers, I can rarely get them to work properly first time. I also hate toilet brushes, necessary but manky yokes.

I swear at it for ten minutes.

Seems to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,209 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Stickers on the back of cars. Political stickers, football team stickers, where you bought your car or where you get it serviced stickers, size of your family stickers, "funny" statements stickers, calvin having a píss on something stickers, that Spanish bull, mayo for sam etc. No need for any of them they just make your car a bit shítter looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

Cienciano wrote: »
    Stickers on the back of cars. Political stickers, football team stickers, where you bought your car or where you get it serviced stickers, size of your family stickers, "funny" statements stickers, calvin having a píss on something stickers, that Spanish bull, mayo for sam etc. No need for any of them they just make your car a bit shítter looking.
    Hon Mayo!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

The word ‘bants’ and every stupid fcuker that uses it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,779 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Easy open packaging that is anything but easy to open .

• Registered Users Posts: 30,024 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Paper straws!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,209 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Easy open packaging that is anything but easy to open .
    And "resealable" packaging that doesn't reseal.
    Paper straws!
    Definitely, got a mcdonalds milkshake last week, the paper straw wasn't airtight enough to drink it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Cables, have a big box full of all sorts of cables. Went through them yesterday to throw out the ones I don't need, ended up throwing out two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,779 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Cables, have a big box full of all sorts of cables. Went through them yesterday to throw out the ones I don't need, ended up throwing out two.

Cables , leads off this that and the other .
    Go to clear them out , just move them from one spot to another..

Just in case you need them..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭Archeron

Big stupid ice cream stations appearing in every bloody shop. I just want to pay for my petrol and go home but I can't because eighteen thousand kids all want a different made to order smooshie.

• Cienciano wrote: »
    Stickers on the back of cars. Political stickers, football team stickers, where you bought your car or where you get it serviced stickers, size of your family stickers, "funny" statements stickers, calvin having a p on something stickers, that Spanish bull, mayo for sam etc. No need for any of them they just make your car a bit sher looking.

“Baby on board” or other nonsense about children in the car are the ones that really really annoy me.

In what way do they expect me to alter my driving because they have a child in the car?

• Styrofoam. It gives me the shivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,855 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I gave up on duvet covers last year. That was when I put my back out trying to get the effin duvet into the cover. Nope no more.

So I now have a top sheet, then the naked duvet, then a throw that covers the naked duvet (to match the decor obv lol).

Makes changing beds a doddle now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

Coffee.

I hate coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Not exactly an item, email.

Email is the most disgusting thing ever invented.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Those big sunglasses. Specifically on top of people's heads as hair accessories and when people don't take them off for photos.

I despise household items and products that tell lies.

Yes, the fabric softner and/or detergent has 64 washes displayed on the label, but both it and I know it's not going to last more than 35 because most people wash more than a flannel at a time and need a full dose so stop lying to me. :(

I bought a turkey for Sunday lunch, it had '12 -14 Servings' on the label but five regular people (and one giant Russian) polished it off and were left wanting more. More lies.

My dishwasher lies to me on a daily basis. It displays how much longer is left in each watch but unless it exists in an alternative reality where 10 minutes takes 25 minutes to pass, it's just a plain old pants on fire liar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Fairy liquid ads were good at that malarkey. Twice to three times as much washing as the next brand they’d say as if it were a measurable and constant quality like battery usage. We all squirt the same amount of any washing up liquid so much good that ever did. Also there are plenty of other variables like the size of the sink, the heat of the water, the application of elbow grease.

They are fierce sudsy though, I’ll give them that.

• Advertisement

Also minuscule elf sized cakes that have the 'nutrition' per portion outlined, but when you calculate the size of the portion it would be the size of a peanut and an average portion would mean you eat seven years worth of recommended sugar intake and 22 years worth of fat.

Radio controlled alarm clocks that have you manually set the alarm by some bizarre and arduous code of button pressing that the finest minds at Betchley Park would have a hard time figuring out.

Fairy liquid ads were good at that malarkey. Twice to three times as much washing as the next brand they’d say as if it were a measurable and constant quality like battery usage. We all squirt the same amount of any washing up liquid so much good that ever did. Also there are plenty of other variables like the size of the sink, the heat of the water, the application of elbow grease.

They are fierce sudsy though, I’ll give them that.

They used to wash identical dinner plates (hundreds of them) in a fairy vs competitor controlled comparison, where they’s see how many plates each one could clean the grease off. It was clearly demonstrated that it was superior to the competing product, in line with their claims.

This was one of that series...

Who says advertising doesn’t work. 30+ years later and I’m still turning up my nose at the alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,631 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Flip-flops. I loathe the things. Not only are they ugly as hell and expose people's ugly feet to the world, they're noisy as hell. And bad for you.

Yes. This.
    Makes me squirm the thought of a plastic strap threaded through toes. And street filth getting on feet.
    Only intended for poolside, the beach or indoors imo.

“Baby on board” or other nonsense about children in the car are the ones that really really annoy me.

In what way do they expect me to alter my driving because they have a child in the car?

And the dopes who think they're to alert emergency services in the event of a crash. A 3" sized piece of plastic crap that could end up anywhere.

Little Man U supporter on board, yeah right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Mobile phones. I'm sick of fucking idiots staring at at a screen looking gormless and not watching where they're walking. Then just as you stop in front of them trying to avoid them walking into you they look up with a stunned expression seemingly unable to comprehend the fact that another person is actually walking on the footpath.

Umbrellas and how their users walk with their head down and almost stab you in the eye with one of the spokes. Then a gust of wind blows the umbrella inside out so they just dump the thing on the footpath.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Air-con. Hate it with a vengeance

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Especially with the amount of fuel it uses, you'd be mad to use it on a hot day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

+1

You know what's even worse?

Clogs.
    I used to work with a woman who wore clogs around the office - big open-plan office with thin carpet over a concrete floor so lots of resonance/vibrations. You could hear her coming from at least 40 feet away. A typical morning would be me, sitting at my desk, pretending to do some work, when softly in the distance, I'd hear:

clump clump clump clump clump clump clump clump clump clump clump clump clump clump clump clump clumpclump clump clump clump clump

*GOOD MORNING!!!*

clump clump clump clump clump clump clump clump clump clump clump clump clump clump clump clump clump clump clump clump clump clump
    I hate clogs so much

I never did understand why in hot countries it is turned up to Antarctic level esp on public transport. Got sick a few times from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭The Real Ramona

The smell of bacon and cabbage cooking in a house ..hate it

Same with broccoli for me. Stinks out the house.

Advertisement