Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fire at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,256 ✭✭✭✭ted1

thomil wrote: »
    I just hope the scaffolding around the collapsed tower holds on. If that collapsed into the structure, it could do some real damage to the stone work.

Metal fails long before wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

2ynh4m.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

It is hilarious to see the different angles people take to get the most attention on even a thread like this? No doubt the usual suspects popping up to get on board and be the protagonists and get in their edgy and controversial opinions on a thread with heavy traffic.

Terrible news, I was lucky enough to attend a mass there in November on a Saturday evening.

Stunning place. Will be sad if it's completely devastated, and unfortunately going by the pics I've seen so far, it looks like it is.

The water sprays look pathetic compared to the flames right now - it’s obviously difficult to get to it but heartbreaking to see. Spire is in the middle of the church isn’t it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Maybe.....just maybe.... a workman reported to him how the fire started as he witnessed it?

Maybe, maybe or maybe just maybe?

Gossip is largely meaningless in regards to the seriousness of a fire destroying such a large and significant building.

The insurance company sure won't be interested in rumours. It may take many days before anyone can enter to actually properly assess the cause.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Hope no one dies but great to see such a building in flames. People all over the world Crying because an old building burnt. Apes

FVY0Pxw.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

How horrible. I've only just seen the news.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Hope no one dies but great to see such a building in flames. People all over the world Crying because an old building burnt. Apes

Of all the great gobshîtes posting top drawer shîte over the years, surely that's deserving of some kind of award?

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

Please rename as 'ultimate idiot'

• Registered Users Posts: 23,140 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Of all the great gobshîtes posting top drawer shîte over the years, surely that's deserving of some kind of award?

Least intelligent of the inbred citizens?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Certainly looks like the fire is concentrated in the scaffolded area. Whatever, it is just a devastating thing to happen. Glad no one injured or killed. That's the main thing really.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I’m suprised a few helicopters haven’t been sent up to drop water on it at this stage, it’s still in flames. It’s very sad, I visited last year and feel privileged to have seen it in real life in its original state.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,400 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Maybe, maybe or maybe just maybe?

Gossip is largely meaningless in regards to the seriousness of a fire destroying such a large and significant building.

The insurance company sure won't be interested in rumours. It may take many days before anyone can enter to actually properly assess the cause.

I agree, but if an eyewitness who witnessed (maybe even accidently started) the fire has made a statement yo that fact then would it not be ok for him to state it was an accident?

Or should we just leave the gobsh/tes in here and on twitter.run with their anti muslim agenda?

Oh wait.....t'is yoursef.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The fire inside the building is still raging. Nothing but the stone will be left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

thomil wrote: »
    I just hope the scaffolding around the collapsed tower holds on. If that collapsed into the structure, it could do some real damage to the stone work.

What's left in terms of the stone work will be a grim memorial.

The word negligent springs to mind. What sort of fire protection system was in place? safety plan or fire plan did they have. Risk assessment ahead of work, supervision of workers and equipment? Care taken with fire hazards, electric equipment, cabling etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Some guy on bbc news saying that it appears to be a very vicious and aggressive fire that took hold very quickly and he is speculating on the cause.

I suppose we will just have to wait and see

It seems like a very intense fire. I would have thought it would burn a bit slower - bit thick wooden beams seem to be disintegrating like matchsticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

What the hell is wrong with you?

how-to-slap-someone-through-the-internet-37425928.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Donald J. Trump
    ‏Verified account
    @realDonaldTrump
    Follow Follow @realDonaldTrump
    More
    So horrible to watch the massive fire at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris. Perhaps flying water tankers could be used to put it out. Must act quickly!

Still, to be shown up by Trump is quite some going, Ult.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

French Channel LCI just showing a fireman trying to reach a statue on the facade.
    From what I hear, priority is to save artwork before the fire gets to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Some guy on bbc news saying that it appears to be a very vicious and aggressive fire that took hold very quickly and he is speculating on the cause.

I'm sure you're hoping, like the rest of us, that it was an accident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Some expert chap on Sky just said he could not understand how it got so bad so fast. Said"something else" must have happened. Led to an awkward stutter from interviewer. Ken something or other. Must have been a tinderbox. It took 200 years to build.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,077 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Donald J. Trump
    ‏Verified account
    @realDonaldTrump
    Follow Follow @realDonaldTrump
    More
    So horrible to watch the massive fire at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris. Perhaps flying water tankers could be used to put it out. Must act quickly!

Still, to be shown up by Trump is quite some going, Ult.

Whats wrong with that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

I agree, but if an eyewitness who witnessed (maybe even accidently started) the fire has made a statement yo that fact then would it not be ok for him to state it was an accident?

Or should we just leave the gobsh/tes in here and on twitter.run with their anti muslim agenda?

Oh wait.....t'is yoursef.:rolleyes:

What a rotten low-life floor dragging response, but ah shure it's yourself.
    i.e. Pure Rotten.

This reply came directly in response to suggesting we wait a few days?
    I.e. for an official (non rumour/gossip based) verdict, precisely to prevent anyone jumping to any conclusions.

Hold you head low in your own shame good sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,675 ✭✭✭buried

The cathedral is made from French Limestone. Limestone blocks will suffer themselves from high temperatures. The whole thing is destroyed.
    What a absolute total disaster.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

That was Ken Follett, the writer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Burn baby burn.

You'd swear tis yer own houses on fire

Mod: banned

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Zorya wrote: »
    Some expert chap on Sky just said he could not understand how it got so bad so fast. Said"something else" must have happened. Led to an awkward stutter from interviewer. Ken something or other. Must have been a tinderbox. It took 200 years to build.

That’s the guy I was referring to. It was bbc news not sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Yes it was an odd comment. Maybe he is in shock as this is his major interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,140 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Burn baby burn.

You'd swear tis yer own houses on fire

Iirc you are a McGregor fanboy. Should have known you would be simple.

Advertisement