Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Peter Casey to contest the European elections

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

TBH it depends which of the trailing field appeals to people all the way across the constituency. A Maria Walsh might as might a FF candidate. There'll be a scrap for that last place and Casey's transfer friendliness has not been tested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I'm not sure what Casey stands for this time around. He stumbled across his unique selling point, so to speak, during the presidential election. That moment has passed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

He was in the right place at the right time during the presidential election. If one of the other candidates had said the same thing he had, they would've had that bounce. He was a vehicle for people to express their anger and frustration at the travellers issue in this country. A vote for Peter Casey at that moment in time was a way of sending a message.
    And if my aunt had a bollox she'd be my uncle :D

Nobody else did say it though, did they? They all criticized him instead.
    Its not a "one moment in time" thing either. Its long term multiple issues.
    Did you notice when he said he'd join the EPP, somebody else said that was Varadkar's group. Casey pointed out it was Viktor Orban's group before it was Varadkar's.

Smart guy.
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/casey-plans-to-join-same-political-group-as-fine-gael-if-elected-to-eu-38007991.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

He stumbled across his unique selling point, so to speak, during the presidential election. That moment has passed.
    Tell that to the whale.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

President, Europe...eventually he'll run for something where he might be able to tackle issues that he's concerned about.

🤪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭oceanman

he seems like someone who is desperate to get into politics but dosent want to get down and dirty...just something cushy like the president or Europe. anyone who is expecting this guy to save the country is going to be disappointed.

oceanman wrote: »
    he seems like someone who is desperate to get into politics but doesn't want to get down and dirty...just something cushy like the president or Europe. anyone who is expecting this guy to save the country is going to be disappointed.

Declan Ganley was there before him!

• Registered Users Posts: 66,840 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Travellers are thee most entitled people in the land yet in a discussion about travellers, you allege casey is the entitled one

The discussion is not about travellers, it is about 'Peter Casey To Contest The European Elections'

Do I need to mention every section of society that has entitlement issues because I want to mention Casey's? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,485 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The discussion is not about travellers, it is about 'Peter Casey To Contest The European Elections'

Do I need to mention every section of society that has entitlement issues because I want to mention Casey's? :rolleyes:

Yeah but most Casey haters do so because of his Travellers comments inc you.
    Because of that it’s relevant.

Yeah but most Casey haters do so because of his Travellers comments inc you.
    Because of that it’s relevant.

I dislike Casey because he is a completely incoherent attention seeking loud mouth. I had that opinion forming on plenty of evidence before he made his comments.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

Your the exact poster who mentions Caseys hatred for travellers and trying to incite hate against travellers.

How can you turn to posters and say stop talking about travellers and focus on Casey when your doing the same thing.
    The two are linked ffs.

declan2693 wrote: »
    Your the exact poster who mentions Caseys hatred for travellers and trying to incite hate against travellers.

How can you turn to posters and say stop talking about travellers and focus on Casey when your doing the same thing.
    The two are linked ffs.

I didn't tell anyone to stop anything.

Mentioning Casey's entitlement has nothing to do with and wasn't a comparison to pther senses of entitlement.
    Simple point - do try to grasp it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,485 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I dislike Casey because he is a completely incoherent attention seeking loud mouth. I had that opinion forming on plenty of evidence before he made his comments.

Can you point us to posts you made before Casey’s comments on Travellers?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,799 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I'm not sure what Casey stands for this time around. He stumbled across his unique selling point, so to speak, during the presidential election. That moment has passed.

Supporting Brexit but not supporting Irexit even though the Irexit party supports him and he supported Irexit in the past.

Yep totally clear what he stands for...

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

is_that_so wrote: »
    Declan Ganley was there before him!

Whatever happened libetas anyway

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

He's a fecking eejeet, but he's my fecking eejeet!

Doubt theres money to be made this time though. Expect the MMS to try different tack this time and ignore him

Whatever happened libetas anyway
    Imploded eventually. None of them got anywhere anyway.

Can you point us to posts you made before Casey’s comments on Travellers?

I don't know if I bothered to post on him tbh. And couldn't be bothered going to look. So you'll have to take my word that I think he is an attention seeking loudmouth.

Just heard him bumbling along on my local radio. He got a bit of a roasting on his sincerity.
    Amazingly, when asked what he intended to use the wages for he said he would pay his sons Dublin school fees of 78,000e. It's well for some!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It would be nice to have an Irish voice in Europe that doesn't just nod and agree to whatever is put to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

It would be nice to have an Irish voice in Europe that doesn't just nod and agree to whatever is put to them.

We have, Ming.

• Advertisement

Current list of nominated candidates.

https://www.mayoreturningofficer.com/nominations

• Registered Users Posts: 13,078 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

As do I - hard work that is.

Making millions would not be a neccesary qualification to make a good politician for me though.

For some one that works hard you spent an inordinate amount of time on here taking up certain positions.

We are nowhere near the elections and you have already racked up huge number of posts on this.

I actually think Casey should have run for Dail rather than the waste of space that is European parliament.

How does one actually measure the effectiveness of an Irish MEP ?
    Is it based on number of times they turn up or number of times they achieve real meaningful change for their constituents back in Ireland by throwing their massive 11 votes around.
    And yes I know they are all affiliatated to various blocks within the parliament.
    BTW those blocks need catchary names rather than the existing mouthfuls.

Anyway if nothing else Casey has gotten all the usual suspects chomping at the bit, funnily enough writing him off already.

jmayo wrote: »
    For some one that works hard you spent an inordinate amount of time on here taking up certain positions.

We are nowhere near the elections and you have already racked up huge number of posts on this.

I actually think Casey should have run for Dail rather than the waste of space that is European parliament.

How does one actually measure the effectiveness of an Irish MEP ?
    Is it based on number of times they turn up or number of times they achieve real meaningful change for their constituents back in Ireland by throwing their massive 11 votes around.
    And yes I know they are all affiliatated to various blocks within the parliament.
    BTW those blocks need catchary names rather than the existing mouthfuls.

Anyway if nothing else Casey has gotten all the usual suspects chomping at the bit, funnily enough writing him off already.

What about Casey rolling up his sleeves and running for his local council first and ACTUALLY doing something?

He is like Gallagher, 7 years of doing nothing and then turning up expecting the presidency. :rolleyes: An insult to those who do put in some work locally.

Jaysus the Rose of Tralee is running ?

Although she will do better than a green running in Midlands, West, North lecturing all the farmers about how their cattle are ruining the environment.

She is already even quoting and linking that shyte article attributed to the Lancet.

What about Casey rolling up his sleeves and running for his local council first and ACTUALLY doing something?

He is like Gallagher, 7 years of doing nothing and then turning up expecting the presidency. :rolleyes: An insult to those who do put in some work locally.

you mean like your party which is full of "community workers". ;)

jmayo wrote: »
    you mean like your party which is full of "community workers". ;)

I don't have a party, but if it is a snide remark meaning SF, then yeh. They put it in at a local level, as do other parties.
    You wouldn't hire somebody who suddenly decided he could wire your house after a career baking buns, would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

I just don't get this eejit. If he is supposedly a millionaire, what is he at running for this, that and the other in Ireland? It's not like he actually cares about Ireland.

Is it just a fame/reality TV thing he's interested in?

I've actually listened and watched a few interviews of his and he genuinely comes across to me as a bit senile.

Anyway, not too bothered if he gets elected as a MEP, they do nothing and no-one really takes any notice anyway.

As evidenced by the fact that few in here can actually name any MEP except for "Ming" because he makes himself into a bit of a celebrity.

I'd actually like to meet him and ask "what is your overall objective".

Travellers and one use plastics? Like, it just comes across as nutty.

Current list of nominated candidates.

https://www.mayoreturningofficer.com/nominations

What is a multi task attendant?

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 20,487 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

BBFAN wrote: »

As evidenced by the fact that few in here can actually name any MEP except for "Ming" because he makes himself into a bit of a celebrity.

Some people have mentioned Ming, including the OP who suggested that Casey was looking to unseat him. I know a few more MEP's but I did not see any reason to name them in my posts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

BBFAN wrote:
    I've actually listened and watched a few interviews of his and he genuinely comes across to me as a bit senile.

Considering the multitude of posts and their tone from you about Casey, to my mind you have heard what you want to hear.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement