Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying in area with high crime rates

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Try Before You Buy, would be my advise to anyone thinking of buying in an area they hadn't a clue about.
    I know that might be easier said than done, but at least if you think you've made a mistake you can up and leave without too much trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Dress up like Liberace and walk down the street in question on a Friday night, let us know how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 9,475 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

El_Bee wrote: »
    You're living in a fantasy land my friend, but to each their own

He/she is talking Dublin 3. Clontarf being the nicer area, East Wall being the other area. It's a misnomer, no comparison to other disadvantaged areas in West Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Try Before You Buy, would be my advise to anyone thinking of buying in an area they hadn't a clue about.
    I know that might be easier said than done, but at least if you think you've made a mistake you can up and leave without too much trouble.
    What country are you living in, SNOWFLAKE wonder land .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,475 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

terenc wrote: »

Not sure why you're taking this opportunity to blast out the fashionable snowflake term, it's good advice. At least scope out the area day and night if you can't rent there. I certainly did for hours, I also called in to the local Garda stations and had chats with the community Gardai before I purchased. I carried out lots of surveillance and searches about the areas. Plenty of people buy in areas they rented in for years. One house I owned was bought by the people that rented it for a few years.

Silly post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Sometimes when working people buy into an dodgy area, more follow, I'm thinking of the Stonybatter area, that used to be an undesirable area but it takes years to get the balance righ.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

What mental gymnastics did you have to go through to come to that conclusion. Get a grip of yerself before you fall over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,001 ✭✭✭handlemaster

What mental gymnastics did you have to go through to come to that conclusion. Get a grip of yerself before you fall over.

The snowflake BS is over used and of often times makes no sence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,820 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Not sure why you're taking this opportunity to blast out the fashionable snowflake term, it's good advice. At least scope out the area day and night if you can't rent there. I certainly did for hours, I also called in to the local Garda stations and had chats with the community Gardai before I purchased. I carried out lots of surveillance and searches about the areas. Plenty of people buy in areas they rented in for years. One house I owned was bought by the people that rented it for a few years.

Silly post.

I agree
    I remember A newsagents opening in a new Hilltop shopping center in Raheny 30 years ago. They sat out side the empty shop for weeks in a van counting the footfall morning noon & night before they committed to a 35 year lease. It's called doing your homework. K.Flyer is spot on & I believe another poster earlier on in the thread suggested renting in the area first before buying to get a feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

Sometimes when working people buy into an dodgy area, more follow, I'm thinking of the Stonybatter area, that used to be an undesirable area but it takes years to get the balance righ.

Infrastructure is the key. Even less attractive areas with good public transport links (Luas / metro / train), schools etc will attract more and more of working people over time as they seek the best value for the buck.

Also, if you consider buying into an investment opportunity then cheap (dodgy) areas like that give the highest ROI as you can buy cheap but rents are still pretty high (people don't really like to buy in such areas, but are often happy to rent for a while).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Without getting into specifics of locations, from what I've heard people generally say is that the area is becoming "gentrified". It's an ex-corporation estate, but the street in question had a couple of not so nice news stories related to gang activity.

I parked up outside the house one of the evenings and it all seemed relatively quiet - some car traffic, older men/women walking their dogs, a couple of scantily clad girls on their way into the city. Nothing that screamed trouble to me.

I did notice a council flat very nearby and would expect a bit of foot traffic past the potential house. I've worked nearby a council flat in the past and while I didn't notice anything you would define as a "crime", there have been a few kids acting the maggot. Not saying that all council flats are the same, but just something I'm wary of now.

I'd also be cautious of asking neighbours what the area is like and if there are any bad elements - I could end up asking one of the troublemakers in question!

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

VonLuck wrote: »
    Without getting into specifics of locations, from what I've heard people generally say is that the area is becoming "gentrified". It's an ex-corporation estate, but the street in question had a couple of not so nice news stories related to gang activity.

I parked up outside the house one of the evenings and it all seemed relatively quiet - some car traffic, older men/women walking their dogs, a couple of scantily clad girls on their way into the city. Nothing that screamed trouble to me.

I did notice a council flat very nearby and would expect a bit of foot traffic past the potential house. I've worked nearby a council flat in the past and while I didn't notice anything you would define as a "crime", there have been a few kids acting the maggot. Not saying that all council flats are the same, but just something I'm wary of now.

I'd also be cautious of asking neighbours what the area is like and if there are any bad elements - I could end up asking one of the troublemakers in question!

Was there any scrambler activity or did you notice scrambler or quads in any of the gardens? any kids going around in groups with their faces covered?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Is there nothing Garda can do about scramblers. We were pestered all day yesterday with 3 going around the park beside us and last night the two were walking with the scrambled home on the footpath, no doubt ran out of petrol or broken. A Garda car passed them and just drove on........ I was at the traffic lights thinking oh great they finally have them but no they just drove on!

Those scramblers are going to become more and more popular, everywhere I go I see them and not just in high crime areas!
    El_Bee wrote: »
    Was there any scrambler activity or did you notice scrambler or quads in any of the gardens? any kids going around in groups with their faces covered?

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

bri007 wrote: »
    Is there nothing Garda can do about scramblers. We were pestered all day yesterday with 3 going around the park beside us and last night the two were walking with the scrambled home on the footpath, no doubt ran out of petrol or broken. A Garda car passed them and just drove on........ I was at the traffic lights thinking oh great they finally have them but no they just drove on!

Those scramblers are going to become more and more popular, everywhere I go I see them and not just in high crime areas!

Gardai are waiting for the proposed law to go through, could be a long wait unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MSVforever

What area are you specifically looking at? Are you talking about the likes of Neilstown, Jobstown, Darndale etc? I used to live in Crumlin and only had a bit of trouble in the first year with some scumbag kids. The rest of the 8.5 years not an ounce of trouble.
    I really comes down to the street.

Well, as far as I know walking with a motorbike is not illegal.
    It would only be illegal if they rode them on public roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭elizunia87

I rent at the moment in Dublin 8. The teenage Kids are every evening occupy the Fatima / Rialto Luas. Running, throwing stones on people. Not the best place to buy property but never had big problems here and I live in the area since 3 years, my Husband 8. On the back of the building where I rent there was a bomb in a car recently, many people here are on social / drugs.

We are soon applying for the mortgage. With the budget of 250k or with Rebuilding Ireland help 300k what would be the best place to buy? We like Crumlin / Drimnagh / Dublin 15. I hope we get something decent and away from social houses and sums.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Cabra is good spot to buy, prices are gone up last few years due to location but it’s not a bad area these says, some parts are still not great but most are ok and a lot of people buying into the area. House are bit small but good solid builds. I know someone who just moved into one, needed a lot of work but it cost €300k
    elizunia87 wrote: »
    I rent at the moment in Dublin 8. The teenage Kids are every evening occupy the Fatima / Rialto Luas. Running, throwing stones on people. Not the best place to buy property but never had big problems here and I live in the area since 3 years, my Husband 8. On the back of the building where I rent there was a bomb in a car recently, many people here are on social / drugs.

We are soon applying for the mortgage. With the budget of 250k or with Rebuilding Ireland help 300k what would be the best place to buy? We like Crumlin / Drimnagh / Dublin 15. I hope we get something decent and away from social houses and sums.

• Advertisement

Cabra is good spot to buy, prices are gone up last few years due to location but it’s not a bad area these says, some parts are still not great but most are ok and a lot of people buying into the area. House are bit small but good solid builds. I know someone who just moved into one, needed a lot of work but it cost €300k

That is the thing. Ideally we would like to skip the cost of renovation. Some of the houses in D15 for 250k they look fabulous. The question is now how are the bids these days? Is there many people bidding?

elizunia87 wrote: »
    That is the thing. Ideally we would like to skip the cost of renovation. Some of the houses in D15 for 250k they look fabulous. The question is now how are the bids these days? Is there many people bidding?

Property price register is your friend. Don't get yourself involved into a bidding war as you'll often find yourself bidding against a ghost.

+ EDIT, there's a gang war going on between Blanchardstown and Finglas. A lot of shootings in d15 in the last weeks. It's a bit like wild wild west

voluntary wrote: »
    Property price register is your friend. Don't get yourself involved into a bidding war as you'll often find yourself bidding against a ghost.

+ EDIT, there's a gang war going on between Blanchardstown and Finglas. A lot of shootings in d15 in the last weeks. It's a bit like wild wild west

I know about this. Maybe Ongar / Clonee. We still have couple of months to go (applying in September). I wish I could escape from this ***** Dublin :) I am sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

There are working class areas, you can buy in that are relatively safe.
    For example ,coolock ,or finglas,
    but you need to know the area .
    pick a house in a council estate , where 95 per cent of the houses
    are owned by the people living there ,bought from the council.
    Pick a smaller estate, not a estate with 500 plus houses in it ,maybe close to a main road .
    Blanchardstown is a large area, there s a mix of council house,s ,
    private houses ,apartments .
    i could name one estate thats a bit rough ,
    but theres very quiet parts of blanchardstown.
    There s a feud going on between 2 gangs in dublin for at least 5 years .
    My friend lives in finglas and i lived in a private estate in blanch for 4 years .I never felt in danger in blanchardstown and i cycled around alot when i lived there .
    maybe drive around there after 9 pm, on friday and saturday ,
    to see what its like .
    She lives in an ex council estate in finglas ,
    the average age there is 40 plus,
    theres very few young people living in that estate .
    90 per cent of anti social behavior is done by people under 30.

I used to live in Clancy Road and cycled through Finglas Road every late evening from city centre. Nothing bad happened, but my friend was attacked and bitten up by banch of teenagers, badly.

Would you name a good areas, quiet in the price range max 300k?

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Drimnagh, near the hospital, is quite good in terms of anti-social behaviour, amenities, transport links, closeness to city-centre. The three bedroom houses od the style of the ones on Mangerton/Brandon/Errigal Road have come down in price from about 300K to about 280K, and are good little houses, with nice layouts (bathroom and three bedrooms upstairs; two receptions and a kitchen downstairs). The more westerly part of Drimnagh, nearer to the hospital and Walkinstown, the better.

Advertisement