Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy Farmer jailed over shocking animal cruelty loses appeal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,707 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

El_Bee wrote: »
    In my experience the majority of dog breeders need to be dragged into the street and shot.

People should wise the fcuk up and stop buying dogs from these breeders. Cut off their revenue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Don't think such cruelty to animals can be explained away as trauma from a family tragedy. It's a pretty disturbing attitude towards animals to the point where it's not beyond possibility that he's a danger to people as well as animals. But definitely not a sudden thing to develop.

batgoat wrote: »
    Don't think such cruelty to animals can be explained away as trauma from a family tragedy. It's a pretty disturbing attitude towards animals to the point where it's not beyond possibility that he's a danger to people as well as animals. But definitely not a sudden thing to develop.

The family tragedy happened AFTER he was jailed. Obviously disregard for the laws of the land runs in the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

People should wise the fcuk up and stop buying dogs from these breeders. Cut off their revenue.

A million times yes. Adopt a dog if you want one. Plenty of older, well trained dogs are available. You don't all need an 8 week old pup that you can trace lineage back to the 1800's ffs.
    Dog’s Aid patron and animal rights activist, Linda Martin, said she welcomed the fact the sentence was upheld.
    “This is a precedent now. This is going to make people realise that if you abuse animals, Ireland is not going to tolerate that anymore, and I think that is very, very important.”
    She said Ireland was known as the “Puppy Farming Capital of Europe”, which was “a terrible moniker to have”.
    There are at least 1,000 premises out there like this (Kavanagh’s). Trust me, north, south, east and west, all operating with appalling cruelty, for the owners to make vast amounts of money”.
    “I’m not saying don’t breed dogs, because there are very decent breeders out there, and those dogs are very well cared for. I’m talking about the people who have hundreds of breeding bitches in the most appalling conditions. And the message has to go to them, we’re not going to tolerate it any longer.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

That’s not even what happened here. This scumbag realised that he could earn more money by breeding dogs, mistreating them, and then bring them to animal rescue centres in the U.K. to pocket >£50 per dog.

He was literally breeding dogs to mistreat them and cash in. His wife helped with the operation, yet only received a suspended sentence. They should both have been locked up for a very long time.

Does the county council actually visit the premises before issuing the license? There are also rules about the export of dogs. Are these enforced?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,851 ✭✭✭✭anewme

There was also a long running thread in Carlow Section on Boards before the Court case. It had been running since the discovery of the "farm".

After the Court case, I was going to post about this case as I feel it is a landmark in relation to change in tolerance of animal abuse and I found that thread. Rather than start another thread here, I added to that thread already open.

I posted that this result should be recognised as a great result for animal welfare.

A mod told me I was lucky I was not getting a ban from Boards and that I was either "sick or not aware of what happened". Then the thread has disappeared from Boards.

It is not me that is sick and treated the animals like that and the thread should not have disappeared. Irrespective of what happened afterwards, it is a landmark ruling and yesterdays result strengthens that point.

anewme wrote: »
    There was also a long running thread in Carlow Section on Boards before the Court case. It had been running since the discovery of the "farm".

After the Court case, I was going to post about this case as I feel it is a landmark in relation to change in tolerance of animal abuse and I found that thread. Rather than start another thread here, I added to that thread already open.

I posted that this result should be recognised as a great result for animal welfare.

A mod told me I was lucky I was not getting a ban from Boards and that I was either "sick or not aware of what happened". Then the thread has disappeared from Boards.

It is not me that is sick and treated the animals like that and the thread should not have disappeared. Irrespective of what happened afterwards, it is a landmark ruling and yesterdays result strengthens that point.

I would imagine that the mod was referring to his sons death rather than your post about animal cruelty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

I would imagine that the mod was referring to his sons death rather than your post about animal cruelty.

That's still not good excuse to remove a thread just because you are worried that someone might get upset with what is said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

A million times yes. Adopt a dog if you want one. Plenty of older, well trained dogs are available. You don't all need an 8 week old pup that you can trace lineage back to the 1800's ffs.

Apparently the puppy breeding industry in this country is horrible. It's just loads of animal rights abuses. And there's a ridiculous amount of inbreeding to keep the different lines pure.

I also don't get the desire to own a breed which has genetic defects. At this point in time it should be illegal to own a dog that has been bred to have defects. When you see the difficulties that animals like bulldogs have it's just horrible.

RHJ wrote: »
    That's still not good excuse to remove a thread just because you are worried that someone might get upset with what is said.

If it was at the time the lad died, I would agree with their decision. We don’t need add to the families heartache.

I was aware that his son died, but I still believe it is a positive victory for animal rights in this Country.

Calling me "a sick individual" and threatening to ban me and completely removing the thread was bang out of order.

The only person "sick" was the person convicted of abusing the animals in such a manner and those who facilitated him by turning a blind eye

If it was at the time the lad died, I would agree with their decision. We don’t need add to the families heartache.

It was at the time to be fair, but you need to bear in mind this case has taken 3 years to come to Court and was frustrated at every hands turn by this man, who used every excuse in the book from depression to alcoholism to avoid taking responsibility for his crimes and avoid prosecution.

I am very happy that the decision was upheld yesterday and he was not able to use these circumstances to avoid justice. He has avoided it long enough.

Grayson wrote: »
    Apparently the puppy breeding industry in this country is horrible. It's just loads of animal rights abuses. And there's a ridiculous amount of inbreeding to keep the different lines pure.

I also don't get the desire to own a breed which has genetic defects. At this point in time it should be illegal to own a dog that has been bred to have defects. When you see the difficulties that animals like bulldogs have it's just horrible.

Absolutely, there is a reason we are known as the puppy farming capital of Europe. We have so many dog breeders in this country that we export them to England and further afield. Meanwhile thousands are put down every year.

The bulldog is particularly disgusting alright, particularly when you see what they used to look like. There is an attempt to breed healthier bulldogs...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olde_English_Bulldogge
    How well that's going I don't know.

anewme wrote: »
    It was at the time to be fair, but you need to bear in mind this case has taken 3 years to come to Court and was frustrated at every hands turn by this man, who used every excuse in the book from depression to alcoholism to avoid taking responsibility for his crimes and avoid prosecution.

I am very happy that the decision was upheld yesterday and he was not able to use these circumstances to avoid justice. He has avoided it long enough.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m happy that the decision was upheld.
    I’m also happy that Boards didn’t want to add to the families distress by allowing it be debated while they were coming to terms with their bereavement.
    As Darina Allen famously said, you can still love the sinner but abhor the sin.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m happy that the decision was upheld.
    I’m also happy that Boards didn’t want to add to the families distress by allowing it be debated while they were coming to terms with their bereavement.
    As Darina Allen famously said, you can still love the sinner but abhor the sin.

I’ve feel differently.

The comment that it was a great result for animal rights stands and for a Mod to call a poster sick is not acceptable no matter what day it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

strandroad wrote: »
    Another interesting aspect is how his farm passed its inspection by the Carlow county council just a few months before he was found out. The number of carcasses and the woeful state of the animals found alive all point to a long term development on his farm. Carlow CC refuses to publish inspection reports. They are also hiding reports on other ongoing puppy farm investigations. I don't know Carlow, how is it run?

https://evoke.ie/2019/04/10/news/irish-news/carlow-inspection-reports-james-kavanaghs-puppy-farm

I was just discussing this with my family, we are from Carlow and we were saying the exact same.

You would wonder would Carlow CC get investigated for this and their lack of proper inspection

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

Grayson wrote: »

Even the "decent" breeders deliberately breed defects into certain dogs German Shepards for example are breed to have shorter back legs because it's the fashion at shows, absolutely disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I feel sorry for the son somewhat. He didn't choose his parents and now his life has been tragically cut short. Kavanagh and the wife I have no sympathy for. They didn't stop being scumbags at the moment the son died nor did the story stop being newsworthy. If they don't want to be discussed they shouldn't have abused animals on a massive scale for a few euro. Fuck them.

• Advertisement

El_Bee wrote: »
    Even the "decent" breeders deliberately breed defects into certain dogs German Shepards for example are breed to have shorter back legs because it's the fashion at shows, absolutely disgusting.

King Charles' essentially have brains bursting through their skulls, pugs can't breath properly, dachshunds can barely walk, hip dysplasia being bred into GSD/labs/etc where do you stop....don't even get me started on the toy breeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

This has nothing to do with specific breeds of dogs, it’s to do with a greedy scumbag breeding dogs to send to rescue homes for profit.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    This has nothing to do with specific breeds of dogs, it’s to do with a greedy scumbag breeding dogs to send to rescue homes for profit.

Absolutely but we are still talking about the practices of scumbag breeders. You know yourself, these threads go off on a tangent.

I posted this earlier but got no response.

“Does the county council actually visit the premises before issuing the license? There are also rules about the export of dogs. Are these enforced?”

I posted this earlier but got no response.

“Does the county council actually visit the premises before issuing the license? There are also rules about the export of dogs. Are these enforced?”

As far as export goes it is enforced, you'll see the odd story in the papers but its enforced about as well as imported illegal drugs. Plenty get through and you'll only hear about the success stories.

No idea on your CC question.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

My own view is that this sort of discussion really lets boards.ie down.

Given the tragic circumstances of his family, which affect not just the guy himself but also his wider family - I dont know if he has other kids, but if he did - given the grief and trauma they are living with - and they were then shown this thread....which in social media age they probably will be.

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    My own view is that this sort of discussion really lets boards.ie down.

Given the tragic circumstances of his family, which affect not just the guy himself but also his wider family - I dont know if he has other kids, but if he did - given the grief and trauma they are living with - and they were then shown this thread....which in social media age they probably will be.

You should post that on FB and every online papers comments section too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

It's unusual logic though, threads and news are not stopped when a gangland figure family member dies. Their crimes or relevant investigation or judocoal process or any systemic failures continue to be debated; what mods police and rightly so is only that any family references appearing are respectful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    That’s not even what happened here. This scumbag realised that he could earn more money by breeding dogs, mistreating them, and then bring them to animal rescue centres in the U.K. to pocket >£50 per dog.
    What's the story with these UK rehoming centres? I'm surprised they would pay to get a "rescue dog". There must be money in it for them too.

• Advertisement

strandroad wrote: »
    It's unusual logic though, threads and news are not stopped when a gangland figure family member dies. Their crimes or relevant investigation or judocoal process or any systemic failures continue to be debated; what mods police and rightly so is only that any family references appearing are respectful.

Agreed.

I can understand a crime where there is not a conviction and speculation being
    removed.

But this is a landmark conviction for a low life crime. Not speaking about it because of what happened is like sweeping it under the carpet. We need to highlight animal abuse in this Country.

It's a fair point about the other family members, having to read harsh comments about their Father and brother. But the comments are true, there are no untruths here.

I feel for animal rescue workers having to pick up the pieces after the animal cruelty and families of those killed by joyriders - they would tell you a different story.

I read from 2 ladies who took dogs from the "farm". They said the dogs were in horrific condition and terrified of people, in one case the dog cowered from women particularly. These dogs don't have a voice, so people have to do it for them.

There has been a massive public reaction to this case and rightly so.

Advertisement