Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

22 storey 'skyscraper' approved for Tara Street

Options
  • 10-04-2019 4:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

https://www.thejournal.ie/skyscraper-dublin-ronan-4580201-Apr2019/

What is everyone's thoughts on this new 22 storey ''skyscraper'' that was approved in the last few days?

It will be interesting to see how this could affect/develop Dublin's skyline over the next few years.

Personally I think the building could be nicer but I think going up is a good idea.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,259 ✭✭✭✭ted1

jayjay2010 wrote: »

What is everyone's thoughts on this new 22 storey ''skyscraper'' that was approved in the last few days?

It will be interesting to see how this could affect/develop Dublin's skyline over the next few years.

Personally I think the building could be nicer but I think going up is a good idea.

Thoughts?

I dint think 22 floors classifies as a Skyscraper. Generally they are over 40 floors before they earn that title

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Building up is the only way for Dublin, urban sprawl can't continue forever

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Hotel 110 rooms, anything else going in it? Might end up being a “Ballymun flats”

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Dr_Kolossus

Are you sure that's Tara Street? Looks like it's on southside to me. However I do
    Ike it. Think it makes sense also

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Are you sure that's Tara Street? Looks like it's on southside to me. However I do

Tara street is on the southside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Has to happen and needs to become the norm.

It’s pointless expecting Dublin to continue to sprawl outwards.

It’s a city, cities round the world are full of 20-30 story blocks of apartments, there is no reason we shouldn’t do the same. Just make them good with some capable of family living.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

It's Tara Street AND on the south side, like Tara Street.

How does it relate to the future works on metrolink

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Suckler

ted1 wrote: »
    I dint think 22 floors classifies as a Skyscraper. Generally they are over 40 floors before they earn that title

I thought so, 22 floors isn't tall in todays world, it's just we've been slow to catch on.
    Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Building up is the only way for Dublin, urban sprawl can't continue forever
    _Brian wrote: »
    Has to happen and needs to become the norm.

It’s pointless expecting Dublin to continue to sprawl outwards.

It’s a city, cities round the world are full of 20-30 story blocks of apartments, there is no reason we shouldn’t do the same. Just make them good with some capable of family living.

Agreed, urban sprawl during the 90's and 00's has led to half arsed developments and huge increase on strained infrastructure/transport. I'd make the m a mix of studio/one bed up to small family living - diversify our housing market. Everyone from middle aged couples with children to first time buyers can't keep competing for the same 3 & 4 bed semi-d's.

I'd clear a lot of the city centre to cater for them. No point housing a couple of thousand people in the suburbs and telling them its a 30 minute commute...if you leave at 5:30 a.m on a Sunday.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I'm delighted it got Planning.

Its not tall by international standards, but its tall by Irish standards.
    The Fire Safety provisions in these types of buildings are way above and beyond our Building Regulation standard so i'm interested to see it under construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

But the light, the LIGHT, the LI-ATTTTTTTTTT!!!!! All of Dublin will be in shadow, compo all around!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭blackbox

SuperS54 wrote: »
    But the light, the LIGHT, the LI-ATTTTTTTTTT!!!!! All of Dublin will be in shadow, compo all around!

There actually is something in this. The sun is higher in cities located at lower latitudes so there is less shade on the streets from high buildings. Not suggesting compo is the answer!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Another ugly building on Ireland's skyline, glass and metal and some concrete the usual pattern of leaving cert standard design here in Ireland.

We must have the most uncreative architects on the planet.

That thing looks ghastly....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

About time we do what the rest of the world does and build upward.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

blackbox wrote: »
    There actually is something in this. The sun is higher in cities located at lower latitudes so there is less shade on the streets from high buildings. Not suggesting compo is the answer!

What about putting up another sun?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,267 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

jayjay2010 wrote: »

Thoughts?

it's great news

slowly but surely this upper ceiling on building is being eroded

vicwatson wrote: »
    Hotel 110 rooms, anything else going in it? Might end up being a “Ballymun flats”

in the city centre? :rolleyes:

nthclare wrote: »
    Another ugly building on Ireland's skyline, glass and metal and some concrete the usual pattern of leaving cert standard design here in Ireland.

what would it prefer it were made of? Granite? With corniced edging?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

lawred2 wrote: »
    it's great news

slowly but surely this upper ceiling on building is being eroded
    I actually thought the ceiling applied outside of that zone, below the Custom House. Mixed feelings about it. Yes we do need to go up but it looks ugly beyond belief and the rehabilitation of a developer, part of the mess of 2008 is not always to be welcomed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

lawred2 wrote: »
    what would it prefer it were made of? Granite? With corniced edging?

I'm suggesting that the design is absolutely horrific, its up to them what building materials they use......

Its going to be a big building and if its going to be seen, it should at least look well.

I'm suggesting that the design is absolutely horrific, its up to them what building materials they use......

Its going to be a big building and if its going to be seen, it should at least look well.

The overall effect of the Ulster Bank complex next door is quite impressive. Even the new Irish Life building on the corner has got it right, with the
    stone look. This looks more like an effort to maximise the height with little thought given to anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Well we can't have every new building pushing the boundaries of architectural design, I think if we're going to start building upwards, we need to win over the heads of the guys granting planning permission and once the ball gets rolling, we might get a bit more adventurous.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

The historic resistance to high rise buildings in Dublin at the 'expense of the Dublin skyline' needs to thrown out at this stage as far as Im concerned. Every other developed capital city has long since embraced building upwards in an attempt to combat lack of innercity space. However, My only worry would be from a fire safety standpoint.

In March of 2018 there was a fire in the Metro Hotel in Ballymun, a building which is a mere 16 storeys tall. At the time Dublin fire brigade said their 2 turntable ladders (stored in Tara Street Fire station) were unable to reach the uppermost part of the building. So this highlights the total lack of fire safety capability by Dublin fire brigade as things currently stand. To build an even taller building in the absence of suitable firefighting equipment would be negligent in the extreme. Quite frankly no planning permission should be granted for any buildings taller than the scope of the tallest turn table ladder owned by Dublin fire Brigade.

Mac-Chops wrote: »
    I don't think it looks too bad aesthetically given all the hoops to jump through.
    And doesn't stand out too much looking East from afar.

Certainly stands out looking West from O'Connell Bridge though but current/future developments in the docklands will help.

Plenty of info in the planning docs (Ref 3794/18). Architectural reports are worth a look for the CGIs.

Offices 1st-4th Floor, Hotel 5th-20th Floor and bar/restaurant on top.

That sounds like an excuse. If it is going to be the first it needs shows why it is or should be, not just something that wins ugly building of the year. I'm going with bleedin' ugly myself. Are there any N/S views of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Mac-Chops

I don't think it looks too bad aesthetically given all the hoops to jump through.
    And doesn't stand out too much looking West from afar.

Certainly stands out looking East from O'Connell Bridge though but current/future developments in the docklands will help.

Plenty of info in the planning docs (Ref 3794/18). Architectural reports are worth a look for the CGIs.

Hotel 1st-4th Floor, Offices 5th-20th Floor and bar/restaurant on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It would be nice to have SOME of them pushing architectural design.

The original concept for this site envisaged a wedged tower with a curved elevation on the longest edge, facing the railway and the river. We ended up with this unimaginative box.

Down the river at the end of the Quays on the Dodder basin, we were meant to have the Wettergren designed U2 Tower, which bit the dust in the crash, only to be replaced by the recently opened Capital Dock building, another unimaginative box, with an exterior cladding that makes it look like it has been there since 1974 and could do with a facelift.

I don't subscribe to the Frank McDonald or An Taisce school of thought that high rise anywhere in the City affects its Georgian character, frankly too much of the Georgian stuff crumbled into dereliction 100 years ago to make that a legitimate case, but where we do allow necessary high-rise landmarks, they should be innovative and graceful and beautiful and finished to the highest standard. Thats not what we're seeing so far on this venture upwards.

reg114 wrote: »
    The historic resistance to high rise buildings in Dublin at the 'expense of the Dublin skyline' needs to thrown out at this stage as far as Im concerned. Every other developed capital city has long since embraced building upwards in an attempt to combat lack of innercity space. However, My only worry would be from a fire safety standpoint.

In March of 2018 there was a fire in the Metro Hotel in Ballymun, a building which is a mere 16 storeys tall. At the time Dublin fire brigade said their 2 turntable ladders (stored in Tara Street Fire station) were unable to reach the uppermost part of the building. So this highlights the total lack of fire safety capability by Dublin fire brigade as things currently stand. To build an even taller building in the absence of suitable firefighting equipment would be negligent in the extreme. Quite frankly no planning permission should be granted for any buildings taller than the scope of the tallest turn table ladder owned by Dublin fire Brigade.

do the NYFD have ladders that reach the top of the empire state building?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Certainly stands out looking East from O'Connell Bridge though but current/future developments in the docklands will help.

Offices 1st-4th Floor, Hotel 5th-20th Floor and bar/restaurant on top.

Didn't realise the hotel was taking up that much space. Little disappointed in that tbh. I'm all for building up but are hotel rooms the best use of that space for the city? Don't really think so.

Offices 1st-4th Floor, Offices 5th-20th Floor and bar/restaurant on top.

seeing it in those images - I can begin to maybe understand concerns regarding its design..

presume that those images were not part of the marketing material or planning material?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

is_that_so wrote: »
    The overall effect of the Ulster Bank complex next door is quite impressive. Even the new Irish Life building on the corner has got it right, with the
    stone look. This looks more like an effort to maximise the height with little thought given to anything else.
    Taller buildings with a stone look tend to take on a very brutalist appearance, and are much harder (read: more expensive) to clean.
    Look at Wood Quay. Ugly, Ugly rubbish.

What sounds nice on a smaller building, ends up looking really dominating and ugly on a tall one.
    The glass/metal look is intended to be minimalist and not make the building look imposing when you're beside it. It also reduces the light-blocking impact of the building.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Mac-Chops

Didn't realise the hotel was taking up that much space. Little disappointed in that tbh. I'm all for building up but are hotel rooms the best use of that space for the city? Don't really think so.

Just realised I got that reversed, fixed now to avoid further confusion.

9670m2 of office space 5th-20th and 4349m2 hotel (107 rooms) 1st-4th.

Advertisement