Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fear of drugs

• 05-04-2019 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭

Had a couple of conversations recently about drugs and am just curious what it is about drugs that prevent people trying them? I understand fearing a loss of control or full on addiction.

In my own case, the hardest I've tried was ecstasy which was great fun the first time and a living nightmare the third (and last) time. I do occasionally smoke grass (about once a month). I went in and out of using it to cope throughout my teens and early 20s. For my 2 cents, it did the job.

My experience of people on coke scared me away from that. I could never justify spending the kind of money people do on that.

My views over the past few years have changed and I lean more towards legalizing soft drugs, providing the tax gained and social benefits would cover the social costs (as with alcohol). I also don't like the thought of money going towards organized criminals.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

For me it's the risk of adulterants and neurotoxicity. If straight-up amphetamine (Adderall, not the potentially neurotoxic derivatives such as MDMA or methamphetamine) was legal, I'd use it in a heartbeat for productivity. But as it stands, I wouldn't know what I was buying if I bought it from a street dealer and it's not a gamble I'm prepared to take.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Boards has at least a thread a week on which drugs should be legalized. Regardless of your opinion on the subject it has been done to death.
    Here we go again :pac:

There's a lot of unnecessary "fear" of drugs around and also plenty of necessary reluctance which is missing. I know someone who recently had a reaction to antibiotics, nothing too serious but couldn't understand how it happened. They're seriously powerful drugs which we seem to forget.
    For illegal drugs the illegality is a major point, people still defer to authority day-to-day. Also people who haven't done drugs before or don't move in those circles will be less likely to notice people who've had positive or neutral experiences with drugs but will notice a junkie nodding off, a drunk swaying or a bang of weed off a group of tracksuited scumbags.

For me it's the risk of adulterants and neurotoxicity. If straight-up amphetamine (Adderall, not the potentially neurotoxic derivatives such as MDMA or methamphetamine) was legal, I'd use it in a heartbeat for productivity. But as it stands, I wouldn't know what I was buying if I bought it from a street dealer and it's not a gamble I'm prepared to take.

MDMA pretty sure to be in the clear no?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Just not a lifestyle choice I'd want to make. Not my scene in the slightest. Huddled up in a toilet cubicle sniffing sh!t off the cistern sounds like a failed life to me.

It's clear as day how rampant coke is of late. My ITU nurse wife is bewildered at how people don't realise what they're doing to their bodies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Undividual wrote: »
    Had a couple of conversations recently about drugs and am just curious what it is about drugs that prevent people trying them? I understand fearing a loss of control or full on addiction.

In my own case, the hardest I've tried was ecstasy which was great fun the first time and a living nightmare the third (and last) time. I do occasionally smoke grass (about once a month). I went in and out of using it to cope throughout my teens and early 20s. For my 2 cents, it did the job.

My experience of people on coke scared me away from that. I could never justify spending the kind of money people do on that.

My views over the past few years have changed and I lean more towards legalizing soft drugs, providing the tax gained and social benefits would cover the social costs (as with alcohol). I also don't like the thought of money going towards organized criminals.

I've never really had a fear of trying anything. I've tried most drugs bar heroin. It was just curiosity that made me try them. My favourite has to be MDMA, not in pill form, but the "pure" (obviously not 100% pure) MDMA. Great high and no comedown.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

the only thing worse than having a fear of drugs is having no fear of drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Undividual

2011 wrote: »
    Regardless of your opinion on the subject it has been done to death.

Always glad to see a moderator weigh in with a productive comment.

For future reference, should we only discuss topics that have not been discussed by other people on the internet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Misinformed educational attempts lead people to believe that they'll die or get sick or go mad or become an addict or they'll graduate to gear the following week... after just trying e.g. E or cocaine or LSD or even weed only once.

Although I think that fear has subsided overall. There is more knowledge now, less scaremongering.

Although it's not a bed of roses either. The reality lies somewhere between the above fears, and everything being totally cool and awesome on drugs (and it should go without saying that heroin, meth and crack should be avoided full stop). Cocaine consumption (with lots of alcohol) has become so commonplace and that's not good.

But you won't die from a dab of mdma. You'll have a great time.

Then there are people who just don't want to break the law or risk their mental health (although ironically alcohol can be terrible for same).

Personally I wouldn't do cocaine because I don't want to be sniffing a powder up my nose in any situation!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I think you got it in one OP.

I've tried most drugs other than heroin and had only positive experiences. You haven't lived until you've seen the inside of your own head while on mushrooms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

It's not fear of the drugs as such, it's fear of the effects. I don't like being "out of it", not in control of myself - and there's always the spectre of addiction, as mentioned. I can have a beer, look at the ABV, and know exactly what it's going to do to me or not. If other drugs reach that level of precision and relative safety, I might consider those too.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

There's a lot of unnecessary "fear" of drugs around and also plenty of necessary reluctance which is missing. I know someone who recently had a reaction to antibiotics, nothing too serious but couldn't understand how it happened. They're seriously powerful drugs which we seem to forget.
    For illegal drugs the illegality is a major point, people still defer to authority day-to-day. Also people who haven't done drugs before or don't move in those circles will be less likely to notice people who've had positive or neutral experiences with drugs but will notice a junkie nodding off, a drunk swaying or a bang of weed off a group of tracksuited scumbags.

I completely agree.

Isnt it curious that people think just because something is illegal that it should be illegal? Its illegal in America to grow tobacco. In Ireland, its illegal to brew your own spirits but you can buy them no problem (I know there are associated risks in distilling etc). Its interesting what risks the government will allow you to take. Half of all violent crimes involve alcohol, never mind drink driving.

MDMA pretty sure to be in the clear no?

When bought on the street? It just makes me uneasy, I mean how exactly are you supposed to know what it is you're buying? Either pills or powder can easily be 'cut' with other substances. And I'm pretty sure (although I could stand corrected on this) that even pure MDMA is known to be neurotoxic to serotonin producing neurons, although this might just be at extreme dosages or for people who forget to take measures regarding hydration and not getting too hot?

I will say that I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with experimenting with substances known to be safe at certain doses. In fact, having lifelong ADHD and depression symptoms but not wanting to get embroiled in the disastrous Irish mental healthcare system, I sometimes pick a day when I need to get a sh!tload of stuff done, and use Sudafed at the normal 60mg / 4 hours dosage for its mild stimulant effects :D I'm a totally different person on those days, procrastination becomes totally unattractive and I actually focus on one specific thing I need to get done for as long as it takes to get it done. Incredibly jealous of those who don't need stimulants to do this :D:D:D

As I say, if Ireland didn't ban or restrict literally every form of stimulant other than methylxanthines, I'd use them in a heartbeat. But I wouldn't use something I bought from some random person who could easily be mixing it with God knows what in order to make a bigger profit. I don't look down on people who do - in fact, to be honest in my view those people are fairly brave to take risks like that, fair play to them - but I'm just a little too risk averse for the aforementioned reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Perhaps the not knowing what the hell is even in the drugs? Seriously, some of the tablet drugs are mixed with adulterants and cut with god knows what as fillers in the bedrooms of spotty teenagers who are themselves probably high while pressing out the tablets in a cheap press bought off ebay. I don't think intoxicated teenagers are too bothered with quality control.

They'd mix dogshít into it if they could get away with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

...just curious what it is about drugs that prevent people trying them?

But most people do try them?

theteal wrote: »
    Just not a lifestyle choice I'd want to make. Not my scene in the slightest. Huddled up in a toilet cubicle sniffing sh!t off the cistern sounds like a failed life to me.

It's clear as day how rampant coke is of late. My ITU nurse wife is bewildered at how people don't realise what they're doing to their bodies.
    Yeah it's filth. I'd wager that quite a lot of the uptick in suicides etc. for guys wasn't purely financial pressure and that snorting a few hundred quid up their nose for a couple of years then suddenly not doing it had some input.
    When bought on the street? It just makes me uneasy, I mean how exactly are you supposed to know what it is you're buying? Either pills or powder can easily be 'cut' with other substances. And I'm pretty sure (although I could stand corrected on this) that even pure MDMA is known to be neurotoxic to serotonin producing neurons, although this might just be at extreme dosages or for people who forget to take measures regarding hydration and not getting too hot?

I will say that I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with experimenting with substances known to be safe at certain doses. In fact, having lifelong ADHD and depression symptoms but not wanting to get embroiled in the disastrous Irish mental healthcare system, I sometimes pick a day when I need to get a sh!tload of stuff done, and use Sudafed at the normal 60mg / 4 hours dosage for its mild stimulant effects :D I'm a totally different person on those days, procrastination becomes totally unattractive and I actually focus on one specific thing I need to get done for as long as it takes to get it done. Incredibly jealous of those who don't need stimulants to do this :D:D:D

As I say, if Ireland didn't ban or restrict literally every form of stimulant other than methylxanthines, I'd use them in a heartbeat. But I wouldn't use something I bought from some random person who could easily be mixing it with God knows what in order to make a bigger profit. I don't look down on people who do - in fact, to be honest in my view those people are fairly brave to take risks like that, fair play to them - but I'm just a little too risk averse for the aforementioned reasons.
    Fair enough but AFAIK it's pretty damn pure most of the time and the main other stuff is MDA and other similar by-products that are weaker again.
    Last I checked MDMA had no neurotoxicity. There was a well-pushed thing that it did but it turned out they'd used meth in the experiment by mistake. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

My 8 year old got swabbed at airport security on the way home from holidays this week. He tested positive for drugs!

It was a scary experience as a parent. Thankfully someone with some sense said test him again using a different machine. He got the all clear.

Try explaining that to a kid!!

Because shlt like this can happen if it spirals out of control.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057580480

Still a fan of drugs but generally stay away. An update on that thread is that I'm over it and my personality is fine now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

there's actually stuff I'd love to try. If the world was ending soon and I had nothing better to do . I'd give them a go. The reason i wouldn't try them now is because as someone mentioned, you don't know what's in them but also there's long term health and addiction issues.

....... wrote: »

In fairness, if you take alcohol and weed as a separate category and exclude them from this statement, it becomes a lot less accurate. I know plenty of people who've never gone beyond either of those.

• Advertisement

....... wrote: »

What percentage of people try all drugs?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

My 8 year old got swabbed at airport security on the way home from holidays this week. He tested positive for drugs!

It was a scary experience as a parent. Thankfully someone with some sense said test him again using a different machine. He got the all clear.

Try explaining that to a kid!!

Were you using your 8 year old as a snorting table again?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I've seen too many people turn into losers from drug use, mostly hash actually. Quite a few who didn't too but enough to not take the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

I've seen too many people turn into losers from drug use, mostly hash actually. Quite a few who didn't too but enough to not take the risk.

I'd say they were losers already tbh, the hash just gave them an excuse

Get yourself some marquis reagent for testing your MDMA and you're good to go
    https://dancesafe.org/shop/

Should you go ahead with it (really strongly advise it if you're on the fence, will probably be one of the most amazing experiences of your life) please have a good look through this harm reduction website https://rollsafe.org/ - clean MDMA is actually a very safe drug, but obviously like all drugs should be treated with respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

I do occasionally smoke grass (about once a month). I went in and out of using it to cope throughout my teens and early 20s. For my 2 cents, it did the job.

Someone sold you weed for two cents???? PM me their number please.

My communion priest said that when you point the finger at someone, you are pointing thrice back at yourself....

Then again, he also got moved out of our parish in the middle of the night and was never heard from again.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Some alright, but others were highly motivated, intelligent people who now work ****ty jobs and waste their days away

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

You don't drink either then do you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

My communion priest said that when you point the finger at someone, you are pointing thrice back at yourself....

Then again, he also got moved out of our parish in the middle of the night and was never heard from again.

Presumably for thrice sticking his fingers somewhere they shouldn't have been.

Advertisement