Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pope Francis offered $1m to go vegan for Lent ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,378 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Muckka wrote: »
    Isn't it not just symbolic?

You don't believe that the priest think's he turns a wafer into flesh, seriously it's just symbolic.

The entire defining point of Catholic mass is transubstantiation, which is the belief that the wafer and wine *literally* turn into the body and blood of christ. So no, it's not just symbolic.

It's symbolic in Protestantism alright, where the "change" is known as consubstantiation.
    Muckka wrote: »
    It's a magic show.

Don't disagree with you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Giving up meat for Lent is a pretty common practice for Catholic Priests.

I've an uncle who does it every year.

emaherx wrote: »
    So go vegan for Lent?

It's actually sort of fitting if you ask me. Lent a time when you should fast and deny yourself of luxuries. It's like these vegans actually admitting that their diet is a form of self punishment. :D

My wife is vegan which would make me vegan by association in terms of diet 99% of the time.

No problem with the diet and it's no form of punishment to be honest as I love curry etc and alot of choice in terms of goodies now.

Have to laugh at some of the anti vegan attitudes of some posters (not the one quoted) but hey it's boards and it gives them a portal for spouting crap because no one in real life would be bothered listening to them.

The same can be said for some of the vegans also however and they don't do much for trying to further any cause that they might have.

Funny to hear people going on about the vegan and vegetarian diet being not healthy or a foreign fad, the traditional Irish diet at least for the majority of my grandparents age was mainly vegetarian, with meat being a luxury item with songbirds and rabbits being the main meat. Even my parents remember it as a rarity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭VeryTerry

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Funny to hear people going on about the vegan and vegetarian diet being not healthy or a foreign fad

If anything it's a rich western fad. I spend most of my time in a developing country and watching the bafflement and offence the locals take when a westerner turns down meat is quite funny.

I'm sure there are a lot of African Catholics that would be absolutely appalled at the arrogance of the Pope if he were to give up meat for Lent.

I have no problem with people's diet but there's a bit of an assumption by the privileged that everyone should follow their easy dietary choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,468 ✭✭✭✭banie01

frag420 wrote: »
    Surely goes against their teachings eh??

The body of Christ...vegan alternative!

The blood of Christ...vegan alternative!

Its already available Gluten free ;)

So much for transubstatiation!

People bled and died for that like!
    And now....
    Now we find out that on top of everything else!
    That Vegans are Protestant!!!!

Well all I'll say about this state of affairs, is thank God for atheism! ;)

• Advertisement

VeryTerry wrote: »
    If anything it's a rich western fad. I spend most of my time in a developing country and watching the bafflement and offence the locals take when a westerner turns down meat is quite funny.

I'm sure there are a lot of African Catholics that would be absolutely appalled at the arrogance of the Pope if he were to give up meat for Lent.

I have no problem with people's diet but there's a bit of an assumption by the privileged that everyone should follow their easy dietary choices.

Don't think so, giving up meat for lent was a common thing, even days where eating meat was not allowed by the church.

Also in terms of dietary choices being pushed on people the same could be said for advertising by board bia etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,959 ✭✭✭emaherx

Funny to hear people going on about the vegan and vegetarian diet being not healthy or a foreign fad, the traditional Irish diet at least for the majority of my grandparents age was mainly vegetarian, with meat being a luxury item with songbirds and rabbits being the main meat. Even my parents remember it as a rarity.

In the past cost was a factor and many peoples diets were nutritionally deficient. There is also a big difference in a mostly vegetarian diet and a vegan diet. Your grandparents generation would have had less meat certainly but had dairy and fish and would appreciate whatever meat they could get.

It is however true that most people these days could do with cutting back on many things not just meat and dairy, but if most people went vegan tomorrow their diets would become severely deficient, not because you can't be a healthy vegan but mostly because it is more difficult.

But I found it amusing at the notion of the Pope going vegan for a large bribe when he probably already cuts out meat for Lent.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

My wife is vegan which would make me vegan by association in terms of diet 99% of the time.
    No problem with the diet and it's no form of punishment to be honest as I love curry etc and alot of choice in terms of goodies now.
    Have to laugh at some of the anti vegan attitudes of some posters (not the one quoted) but hey it's boards and it gives them a portal for spouting crap because no one in real life would be bothered listening to them.
    The same can be said for some of the vegans also however and they don't do much for trying to further any cause that they might have.

Yeah I get the dig thanks. All that's bit too much "I'm Brian and so is my wife" imo

But hey let's ignore the current News where in the space of less than two weeks number of corporate interests are feeding us the same bs promoting the plant food industry and using influencers to do so. Don't forget to shoot the messagners whilst you're at it.

Lets talk about Songbirds being eaten as the main meat??? What country your referring to btw?

Yes rabbits were and are still eaten and very tasty they are too. Btw they are considered a pest to most horticultural crops

In Ireland meat and especially pork products were a traditional part of the diet. Even in the poorest parts of Dublin there was the traditional dish of Coddle or beef dripping on bread. In the countryside a pig was killed maybe once a year to help pay the rent and cured with meat etc being hung near the fire once cured. Pigs blood mixed with oatmeal to make puddings etc. Nothing was wasted except the squeal

Offal was the food of many with tripe and all other bits of the animals eaten and relished.

Near the coast fish were cured and used as a break to the monotony of potatoes and cabbage.

And where meat was seasonally scarce there was milk, butter, buttermilk and sweet milk.

Yes people starved during the period of famine because of a policy whereby people were deliberately impoverished and forced off the land. That period was not typical of most of Irish history.

Futher back in history the Irish traditionally ate a wide range of dairy products and seasonally meat both hunted and farmed

I just love that not only are we now being fed bs on a weekly basis by commercial corporate interests - we are now expected to believe rewritten history as well ....

And if you also one of the screamers who want to know why I have an interest in pointing out what's wrong with the 'sprouting crap' propaganda about food production and agriculture which we are being force fed. Simple this is an area in which I am qualified to speak. Don't like that - tough.

Its also notable that this is not the first movement that seeks to silence its critics. What I've seen to date the extremists of this movement are little better than most of these.

No doubt another denier will be along to tell the majority of the country that we are all wrong and it's all our fault and we should all just shut up .... .:rolleyes:

In the past cost was a factor and many peoples diets were nutritionally deficient. There is also a big difference in a mostly vegetarian diet and a vegan diet. Your grandparents generation would have had less meat certainly but had dairy and fish and would appreciate whatever meat they could get.

It is however true that most people these days could do with cutting back on many things not just meat and dairy, but if most people went vegan tomorrow their diets would become severely deficient, not because you can't be a healthy vegan but mostly because it is more difficult.

But I found it amusing at the notion of the Pope going vegan for a large bribe when he probably already cuts out meat for Lent.

Depends on what research they do, otherwise it's a bit like what John Bishop jokes about going vegetarian in 80s Liverpool.

Herself has a physical outdoor job and no health issues and never has thankfully.

Depends on what research they do, otherwise it's a bit like what John Bishop jokes about going vegetarian in 80s Liverpool.

Herself has a physical outdoor job and no health issues and never has thankfully.

With research yes, but many would fail at that first hurdle. But also the increase in veganism is already causing shortages of important staple foods from peoples diets in countries in Africa, Asia and South America.

• Advertisement

gozunda wrote:
    In Ireland meat and especially pork products were a traditional part of the diet.

I did my undergrad History dissertation on Irish culinary history in the 19th century and meat most certainly not commonplace in the diet of vast swathes of the population during that period. The vast majority of Irish people were on subsistence diets. If you were lucky enough to keep a few hens you might keep the odd egg to eat. Pork a handful of times a year when a neighbour slaughtered their sole pig and was kind enough to share it with you. That was pretty much it. Pretty much everyone was woefully malnourished.

Also in terms of dietary choices being pushed on people the same could be said for advertising by board bia etc.

Board Bia never once tried to bribe the Pope to promote meat. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,208 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I did my undergrad History dissertation on Irish culinary history in the 19th century and meat most certainly not commonplace in the diet of vast swathes of the population during that period. The vast majority of Irish people were on subsistence diets. If you were lucky enough to keep a few hens you might keep the odd egg to eat. Pork a handful of times a year when a neighbour slaughtered their sole pig and was kind enough to share it with you. That was pretty much it. Pretty much everyone was woefully malnourished.

Yeah, the 19th century wasn't really great for food for us now.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

With research yes, but many would fail at that first hurdle. But also the increase in veganism is already causing shortages of important staple foods from peoples diets in countries in Africa, Asia and South America.

I find it much easier being healthy vegan than a meat eater.

Simple things like when people brought in junk food to work is no longer an option for me, same with take away, delis etc.

When I was eating dominos and McDonald's no one cared about my health, but now when I eat fruit, veg, nuts etc I get concerned people wondering about my b12 levels :pac:

My b12 levels are blood proven perfect by the way

Yeah, the 19th century wasn't really great for food for us now.

The famine was three years out of a hundred. Our diet was piss poor even in "normal" years. That's precisely why there was a famine - the failure of the potato crop would have been a minor inconvenience if people had had access to the amount of meat some people would like to claim.

And it's not just a "days of yore" thing. Malnutrition and malnourishment were a huge issue in large parts of Ireland right up through the 50s and 60s.

Dial Hard wrote: »

You will note that I'm referring to not just one period of Irish history or restricted to the periods of impoverishment such as time frame leading up to and including the famine and it's aftermath. Not to get into one upmanship - I already explained I am qualified in this area.

The Irish outside the famine period were not impoverished to the point of eating scraggy songbirds as their 'main meat'. Cottiers of even middling status often kept a pig (known as the gentleman who paid the rent), even a cow and had their own milk and butter. Yes there were also the impoverished and the landless who eeked out a living. Many worked as hired labour to somewhat better of farmers because labour was cheap and hiring fairs a part of the economy. But people also hunted and fished. Many also grew much of their own produce. The slightly better off even sent their children to school. Women often kept chickens and sold eggs. There is a huge wealth of data out there that provides much of this information. I'd suggest you read for example some of the available first hand sources on the life stories of rural irish people many whilst Catholic and tenants still maintained a relatively basic but prosperous lifestyle living in a traditional way. There were far from unusual. Of course there were also huge regional and societal variations in the foods eaten and what people ate as products of what they farmed or fished or hunted . However in no way does that mean that everyone can be classed as a grass eater either.

Anyway all this is getting way of course of the main issue of the thread and the point of commercial interests pushing plant based foods. But there you go ...

Board Bia never once tried to bribe the Pope to promote meat. :D

True. Maybe Ireland as the land of milk and honey should have arranged to provide him with baths of milk and etc. Damn we obviously missed a great marketing opportunity! :pac:

Don't think so, giving up meat for lent was a common thing, even days where eating meat was not allowed by the church.

I'd say you missed the point I was making there completely. There's no Bord Bia or giving up meat for Lent in developing countries but carry on.

I'd say you missed the point I was making there completely. There's no Bord Bia or giving up meat for Lent in developing countries but carry on.

A lot of meat in developing countries is bush meat, similar in concept to my grandparents catching songbirds and rabbits for meat so no need to try and say I misunderstood you I didn't.

I just pointed out that Catholics often give up meat for lent and are required not to eat meat or meat based products on certain days such as ash Wednesday and good Friday and if really sticking to the rules no meat on Fridays and your assumption that African Catholics would find the pope giving up meat for lent arrogant doesn't seem to have any ground based on the doctrine of their faith.

In relation to board bia, meat and dairy are a business, and their advertising their products to a privileged society, no different than the makers of vegan convenience food. So if you have a problem with members of a privileged society wanting people to go vegan, I assume you have a problem with members of the same society wanting people to eat meat and dairy?

A lot of meat in developing countries is bush meat

No it's not you lunatic. The rest of your post makes no sense either.
    In relation to board bia, meat and dairy are a business, and their advertising their products to a privileged society, no different than the makers of vegan convenience food. So if you have a problem with members of a privileged society wanting people to go vegan, I assume you have a problem with members of the same society wanting people to eat meat and dairy?

I have a problem with privileged people trying to sneakily advertise to developing countries through nefarious means such as attempting to co opt the Pope in to their advertising.

• Advertisement

Actually it does, but I think I just got the answer I was expecting due to you talking ****e in your earlier posts

Actually it does, but I think I just got the answer I was expecting due to you talking ****e in your earlier posts

You're having a laugh if you think millions and millions of people are eating bush meat in developing countries. They're hard up but it's not Roscommon.

I would agree. Ethiopa for example had approx 53 million cattle and a similar number of other livestock. Goat meat is probably the most popular meat in many parts of the developing world, followed by sheep meat (mutton) . Chicken and other poultry ditto. Bush meat is certainly eaten but by no means is the only or main source of meat in many developing countries.

'Song birds' were never hunted or eaten to any appreciable degree in Ireland. France and some other European countries - yes and they still do. Your grandparents were evidently pulling your leg ...

gozunda wrote: »
    I would agree. Ethiopa for example had approx 53 million cattle and a similar number of other livestock. Goat meat is probably the most popular meat in many parts of the developing world, followed by sheep meat (mutton) . Chicken and other poultry ditto. Bush meat is certainly eaten but by no means is the only or main source of meat in many developing countries.

'Song birds' were never hunted or eaten to any appreciable degree in Ireland. France and some other European countries - yes and they still do. Your grandparents were evidently pulling your leg ...

It's all chicken and mutton where I am. Mutton shanks are the biz.

gozunda wrote: »

Nope not with fourteen kids to feed, my aunts and uncles would have to be keeping up with it too over a long time. Blackbirds and Thrush mainly according to my mam as they were easy to snare. Wood pigeon too, but only when a neighbor had some spare.

Nope not with fourteen kids to feed, my aunts and uncles would have to be keeping up with it too over a long time. Blackbirds and Thrush mainly according to my mam as they were easy to snare. Wood pigeon too, but only when a neighbor had some spare.

How do you think they would have felt if the rich lad up the road suggested they should go vegan?

Well your grandparents were either gormet diners or they ate just about anything. Song birds are not and never were commonly eaten here. Tbh you'd want many dozen songbirds to have any hope of making a dinner for a family of fourteen! Song birds are tiny and nearly all skin, bone and feather.

Now wild wood pigeon (which is not a song bird) are easily found in field margins and wooded areas. Walk along any country lane with trees and you'll most likley spot them. Nor are they are hard to hunt. They are also often plump and make good eating. Ditto rabbit.

How do you think they would have felt if the rich lad up the road suggested they should go vegan?

Do you care about people’s feeling now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sleepy wrote: »
    It would preclude him from taking communion for Lent though?

Since he's the head of an organisation that *literally* believes a piece of unleavened bread becomes human flesh after a few magic words are spoken and all...
    Now you're delving into the complex issue of consent. It generally doesn't arise with veganism because people don't get into cannibalism, but since the primary issue is treating the animal with respect and acknowledging the suffering that farming causes, then the consumption of flesh (or human produce :() provided by a freely consenting adult, is a-ok with vegans.

There is precedent - there's nothing which says a vegan can't or shouldn't swallow after blowjob. Or should refuse a blood transfusion.

So since in the Catholic faith, Jesus freely offered his body and blood for the good of his disciples, it seems there should be no conflict between veganism and transubstantiation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

vegansiam in the US started as an anti masturbation movement in the US mixed in with garden of edan mumbojumbo back in the 19th century

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement