Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thumbing a lift

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Would be a bit nervous picking up anyone now, I would be worried about insurance scams to be honest. I used to do in the 80,s even when I was young enough. Only once I knew the ****er who stopped was up to no good as the questions he was asking were getting very personal ... got him to stop fairly lively even though I was in middle of nowhere. Other than that it was just the few lunatics who drove at top speed and frightened the life out of me and a few times with people who were half cut .. normally a farmer in the evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

I've seen 3 in the past couple of weeks. Gave one lad a lift but the other two looked like I'd have ended up chopped up in a bin liner.

I picked up a fella 3/4 years ago. It was a three and half hour drive home which would have meant dropping him in the middle of nowhere so rather than going into town with him I told him he could stay the night. Interesting character to say the least. I secured my bedroom door thoughjust in case he went doolally during the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Rarely see any and wouldn't pick them up..

- If it's a male then you're taking a chance (or may end up with 4 of them as per the OP)
    - If female then you could potentially be accused or whatever, even if you're a perfect gent yourself
    - Not to mention the potential drunkards throwing up/pissing in your car if it's that time of the night

No thanks.. I'll just keep driving I think.

I don't blame you - it's gone that way now.
    I hitched a lot when young. Very kind people, God bless them for it, and thankfully had no trouble. When I got a car myself I tried to repay the favour to the universe. But the clientele to whom you'd offer lifts to got scummier over the years and I just drew a line one night when a girl I took pity on as dusk drew in demanded to be driven to a pub that was a well known scum haunt to meet her boyfriend. I had a bad image of encountering said dirtbird boyfriend when I dropped her off but thankfully that didn't materialise. She herself didn't bother me much. It gave me an uneasy feeling, enough to draw the line there for good. I don't feel good passing hitchers but I don't want the risk. It belongs in another era.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Mod

Zombie thread, closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement