Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gun attack in Sweden (Malmo)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭The Wolverine

Sad to see.

I believe police have almost given up on Malmo at this stage and it's nearly a massive no go area as they've lost control in so many areas.

Apparently an explosion has also hit after the gunshots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Its everyday thing around the world nowadays. The world is unstable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Sad to see.

Yes - a country which was known for being super safe and peaceful is sadly changing fast. Not at the same scale and anecdotical, but my partner had her wallet and camera stollen at a fancy shopping centre in the centre of Stockholm, and despite the fact that identifying the thief would have been easy with a lot of CCTV footage available (we were with another friend sitting at a coffee shop with glass walls and facing the main lobby of the shopping centre, and they somehow managed to get it from her purse without us noticing), neither the shopping centre security staff nor the police seemed interested in what is now such a small thing compared to something like today's attack.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 276 ✭✭Ilovemybricks

Apparently an explosion has also hit after the gunshots

Was it another gas leak?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭brickmauser

Anyone want to guess the motive? It wouldn't have to do with you know what and you know who?

Anyone want to guess the motive? It wouldn't have to do with you know what and you know who?

Mental health? Gas leaks again?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,298 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Give over with the snide comments lads, getting very old at this stage.

Not seeing this on any news channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Another example of Twitter at it's worst - total non story - move along nothing to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Collie D wrote: »

Seen it earlier on one of the online papers

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/terror-alert-malmo-explosion-rocks-8913266

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Give over with the snide comments lads, getting very old at this stage.

A quick Google seems to confirm it as a grenade and gun attack

Though a read of the reddit tread seems to suggest it's part of an ongoing criminal fued with decades

Though all them folks skirting about the issue don't want to straight say islamists.....I assume

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Yes strange I originally saw this on the website of France's largest national paper, but when I googled it to find a source in English I saw the British and Irish media don't seemed to have picked it up very much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

A quick Google seems to confirm it as a grenade and gun attack

Though a read of the reddit tread seems to suggest it's part of an ongoing criminal fued with decades

Though all them folks skirting about the issue don't want to straight say islamists.....I assume

Serb mafia as well as other former Yugoslavia fractions are fairly active in Sweden , they are usually behind such feuds.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,046 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have only been able to find it on UK and Irish tabloids and the likes of Fox news - not on Reuters, none of the UK or Irish reasonable papers, RTE, BBC, Swedish papers - apart from one tabloid. Where is the news coming from?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

looksee wrote: »
    I have only been able to find it on UK and Irish tabloids and the likes of Fox news - not on Reuters, none of the UK or Irish reasonable papers, RTE, BBC, Swedish papers - apart from one tabloid. Where is the news coming from?

Try Youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

It is a bit odd that there's so little about it. But it does seem to be being reported more as a targeted shooting rather than a terrorist attack. If that is the case, it's not so surprising that there's not that much coverage of it.

"Gunmen opened fire on a car they had been chasing through a neighbourhood in Sweden’s third largest city. The gunmen fled the scene while four people were taken to hospital with gunshot wounds, Fox News reported.
    The condition of the victims is unknown, however one person is understood to have suffered a head injury.
    Swedish police are treating the shooting as attempted murder."

http://www.news.com.au/world/europe/malmo-shooting-swedish-city-rocked-by-gunfire-reports-of-explosion/news-story/4126f5b5fa4e1ff08f5f952a0dbf0c50

No-one seems quite sure if the explosion is linked to it/was in the same area yet.

Samaris wrote: »
    It is a bit odd that there's so little about it. But it does seem to be being reported more as a targeted shooting rather than a terrorist attack. If that is the case, it's not so surprising that there's not that much coverage of it.

How do you know so much without coverage? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Gangland?

Paul-Hendrick Williamsøn is on the case

How do you know so much without coverage? :confused:

The power of google shows what coverage there is, and looksee already gave a list of the coverage there isn't :P

Plus the link I put in there with the quote.

Edit: Btw, the point of that was just that big papers aren't going to pick up a shooting that -they- think is local news. Terrorism makes international news. If something comes out to suggest this was something more, the media will all get busy on it. It's certainly not confirmed yet that it is or isn't terrorism or gangland or random.

The power of google shows what coverage there is, and looksee already gave a list of the coverage there isn't :P

Plus the link I put in there with the quote.

Got you before the edit. :cool:

• Advertisement

Terrorism makes international news. If something comes out to suggest this was something more, the media will all get busy on it.

Sure they will. Have the found the Hispanic mall shooter in Washington yet? Did they find a source of the gas leak in Budapest?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Sure they will. Have the found the Hispanic mall shooter in Washington yet? Did they find a source of the gas leak in Budapest?

Calling agent Mulder

This really wasn't a political point..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

Gatling wrote: »
    Calling agent Mulder

Except he's right isn't he. We've already had a nail bomb in Budapest called a gas explosion and a Turkish immigrant shooting women in Washington called 'Hispanic'. Maybe this is a local gang thing but you can see why people are calling bull**** on the 'early reports'.

Except he's right isn't he. We've already had a nail bomb in Budapest called a gas explosion and a Turkish immigrant shooting women in Washington called 'Hispanic'. Maybe this is a local gang thing but you can see why people are calling bull**** on the 'early reports'.

Oh I never checked up the Hungary one do you have a link who was behind it, didn't think there's many of the snackbar persuasion there or was it a criminal gang

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

Oh I never checked up the Hungary one do you have a link who was behind it, didn't think there's many of the snackbar persuasion there or was it a criminal gang

No idea. disappeared off the news again, right after the reports of 'gas explosion' were getting disproven.

No idea. disappeared off the news again, right after the reports of 'gas explosion' were getting disproven.

Found links will post in the proper thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Very strange this and hard to know what the situation is. Mumblings about a terror attack on twitter but nothing on mainstream media. This has been ongoing for hours.

By all accounts I believe overly liberal politicians have let Sweden go to hell and there has been trouble there with immigrants for some time now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Very strange this and hard to know what the situation is. Mumblings about a terror attack on twitter but nothing on mainstream media. This has been ongoing for hours.

It's late on a Sunday night. There'll be plenty of reports in the morning.

• Advertisement

Gatling wrote: »
    Calling agent Mulder

The mainstream media have been regurgitating some absolute nonsense about these recent terror attacks. Reporting nail bombs in Budapest as gas leaks, Turks shooting up malls as Hispanics(with a possible white male accomplice) and up until relatively recently, throwing people with mental health problems under a fleet of buses to take the spotlight off of radical Islam.

Is it any wonder people are taking to alternate media for their news.

Advertisement