Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Passport card finally on the way.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭random_guy

Will it also have the chip function allowing use of the automatic gates?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

You Mirin? wrote: »
    <snip>

They won't work outside EU though, no? Because of visa stamps etc.
    initially it isnt to be used outside of the EU, but the likes of the US doesnt do stamps in the passport any more (I have heard) so you really only need the paper booklet for countries where you get an actual visa in advance of travelling, or other rare 3rd world countries which really are not part of the itinerary of 95% of the population anyhow.

most journies of Irish people abroad are to the UK, then the continent, and then farther afield.
    By rights (just like happens on the continent) the card should be your primary ID document and then for lads that like the nightlife in Thailand they can go get a full passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

initially it isnt to be used outside of the EU, but the likes of the US doesnt do stamps in the passport any more (I have heard)

I still consistently receive a WB (waiver-business) stamp at whichever US port of entry I arrive at.

May be something different at play for those requiring an actual visa for admittance.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Datallus wrote: »
    And more convenient!
    Nah, we've all been RF ID'd already. You didn't think those 'flu vaccines' were to stop you from getting sick did you?

#oneworldilluminatigovernmentlizardpeople

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

spiralism wrote: »
    All European countries bar ourselves, the UK (of course we'd be following their lead), Norway (non EU), Iceland (same) and Denmark have national identity cards. We're bringing in one now and Norway in 2017. So that answers your first question.

Also, i've personally seen Identity cards being accepted in other EU countries as travel documents. So yeah, they'll be accepted.

Sorry but you have got this wrong.

This is not the introduction of identity cards.

Other countries have that, and you are legally obliged to have one and carry it all times.
    What Ireland is doing is simply introducing a card form of the passport. It's not compulsory and also you can only have one if you already have a normal passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

This can't come soon enough for me. I'm going to London for the weekend and hate having to bring the passport for the airline boarding.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,537 ✭✭✭✭briany

Ah, finally. Entry to Arstotzka will be much easier now.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

All European countries bar ourselves, the UK (of course we'd be following their lead), Norway (non EU), Iceland (same) and Denmark have national identity cards. We're bringing in one now and Norway in 2017. So that answers your first question.

Also, i've personally seen Identity cards being accepted in other EU countries as travel documents. So yeah, they'll be accepted.

Umm, the UK does not have identity cards.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/identity-cards-and-new-identity-and-passport-service-suppliers

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Does Israel find forging these to be easier?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭323

Another unnecessary waste of money, It is already possible to travel inside the EU without a passport. All that was needed was a EU recognized Driving License/ID.
    random_guy wrote: »
    Very useful and long overdue.
    When you need to give in your passport into an embassy for a visa etc you can still travel on the passport card.

Why not get a second passport?

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users Posts: 40,126 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

petrolcan wrote: »

You have just repeated what he said.
    All European countries bar ourselves, the UK (of course we'd be following their lead), Norway (non EU), Iceland (same) and Denmark have national identity cards

323 wrote: »
    Another unnecessary waste of money, It is already possible to travel inside the EU without a passport. All that was needed was a EU recognized Driving License/ID.

because a second passport is more expensive and less convenient to carry than a credit card sized passport card.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Like Eircode, another useless (to me) piece of govt sponsored tat I will not be partaking of.

Like Eircode, another useless (to me) piece of govt sponsored tat I will not be partaking of.

What is the point of your post?

The passport card is not sponsored, it's an optional extra to your passport that you have to pay for.

So how you can compare it to post codes is beyond me. Governments aren't always bad you know.

You have just repeated what he said.

Move along, nothing to see here....

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

Another unnecessary waste of money, It is already possible to travel inside the EU without a passport. All that was needed was a EU recognized Driving License/ID

That's incorrect. To get from a non-Schengen country, eg. Ireland to a Schengen country you have to go through passport control with a passport or recognised European National ID card. Once your in the Schengen area there are no further checks so you can move from one country to another.

This card is going to be very useful for me. In Spain all the locals have an ID card, the NIE, and you get asked for it all the time but we've had no equivalent apart from the full passport.

You won't get on a plane in Dublin to the continent with a driving licence.
    Ireland is not part of Schengen so a passport is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

Nib wrote: »
    Not sure about all these cards. If you loose your wallet, you're fcuked.

No bank card, driving licence or passport.

That's the issue I have with these changes.

petrolcan wrote: »
    Move along, nothing to see here....

:o

you need to improve your reading comprehension. when a poster says that all euro countries BAR the UK and some others have national identity cards and then you try to correct them by saying that the UK dont have identity cards then its you that looks foolish. Admit you made a mistake and take it on the chin like a man.

• Advertisement

colmulhall wrote: »
    That's the issue I have with these changes.

well then dont get one if it doesnt suit you. there are not compulsory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭OhDearyMe

you need to improve your reading comprehension. when a poster says that all euro countries BAR the UK and some others have national identity cards and then you try to correct them by saying that the UK dont have identity cards then its you that looks foolish. Admit you made a mistake and take it on the chin like a man.

Eh..relax? Hardly that much of a deal.

OhDearyMe wrote: »
    Eh..relax? Hardly that much of a deal.

and you are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭OhDearyMe

and you are?

A poster on Boards. You?

OhDearyMe wrote: »
    A poster on Boards. You?

somebody who doesnt give a fiddlers what you think.

Did you climb out of bed the wrong side this morning?

My reply was an admission that I'd got it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

We're not bringing one in now. This is not a national identity card.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭random_guy

Irish people can not get second passports.
    When i hand in my passport for a visa I technically have no ID. It also leaves me unable to travel.

Many of my colleagues on the other hand have their national ID as well as 2 passports.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

Ireland's passport card is finally on track to bring launched.

About bloody time too. It was always burdensome having to lug a full passport book when only going to mainland Europe.

This can also act as a good and credible form of ID.

If you lose it, it's not like losing a full passport book in terms of getting Garda stamps and restricting further applications of passport.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0930/731505-passport-cards/

I, for one, welcome these.

:pac:

Is your full passport actually a stone tablet?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Advertisement