Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kids movies/stories/programmes that scared the bejesus out of you as a child

• 03-02-2015 11:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

I was reading my daughter Hansel and Gretal last night. Shes two and she really got into the story but there were parts of it that clearly freaked her out!

Nowadays the kids programmes that she watches like Dora, Peppa Pig (although she is a little bit evil) and In the Night Garden don't really have 'bad guys' or a dark side as such.

I remember when I was younger being really creeped out by a few cartoons/ movies that really scared me.

1) Alice in Wonderland the Disney movie scared me. It was the bit where she turned into a giant and couldn't fit in the house.

2) When Pinocchio was turning into a donkey that really freaked me out and then when he got swallowed by the whale.

3) Charlie and the chocolate factory, when the girl ate the blue chewing gum and was going to blow up and when the fat kid got stuck in the chocolate pipe.

4) In Watership Down where some of the rabbits are suffocated in their burrows when the builders come in to start building the houses and when they meet those weird rabbits . Actually that whole movie scared the **** out of me.

On another note Im actually starting to see a pattern of claustrophobia in the things I was scared of - maybe that's what caused me to have claustrophobia :confused:

What Kids Movies/Stories/Programmes stopped you from sleeping when you were small?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Pat Sharp's mullet.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

The ghost train, in an episode of Thomas the tank Engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

The Witch in the Wizard of Oz. Times change so much, has no impact on my own kids. We rarely saw anything scary so she frightened the bejaysus out of me.

Edit: The childcatcher in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang; horrible character.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

The Three Billy Goats Gruff and the Troll that lived under the bridge.

Had serious issues crossing over bridges when younger!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Short Circuit 2 when Johnny Five gets the shít brutally beaten out of him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Charlie Says always creeped me out.

• That australian show on "the childrens channel" with the slimey slug things - "under the mountain" I think it was called - freaked me out in all kinds of ways when I was a kid.

Did not bother me - but I expect there will be a few people mentioning Podge off The Den too. Seems that character messed with a few childrens sleep patterns in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,224 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The Witches with angelica Huston is a terrifying movie for kids.

I've read the book to my kids but I'm waiting until they're older to show them the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Not a kids movie but I was scared of robocop:o

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ifritzero

earnest scared stupid , the troll scared me wooden , oh and bill and teds radical journey , when they are in hell was nightmare material .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

The Intro and Theme music to Unsolved Mysteries.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Not a kids movie but I was scared of robocop:o

I was scard shítless of Jaws, anytime the music would start I'd leg it out into the kitchen! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Government ads about safety in the home.

Scared the crap out of me then and still do now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

worzel gummage, yuck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Darby o'Gill and the little people. That bloody Banshee tormented me for years!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

ifritzero wrote: »
    earnest scared stupid , the troll scared me wooden , oh and bill and teds radical journey , when they are in hell was nightmare material .

haha that reminds me of the ugly granny kiss in bill and ted :D

Blingy wrote: »
    Darby o'Gill and the little people. That bloody Banshee tormented me for years!!!

The opening scene in Ghostbusters when the old woman ghost is in the library and asks them to shhhhh......that gave me some fright!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,712 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The Incredible Hunk, when Bill Bixby started going apes*t and turning green.

(btw never actually knew he turned green at the time, we had a b/w telly)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Pat Ingoldsby's "Pats Hat"

Cyborgs in Dr Who

Flying Monkey soldiers on the Wizard of Oz.

Saralee4 wrote: »

4) In Watership Down where some of the rabbits are suffocated in their burrows when the builders come in to start building the houses and when they meet those weird rabbits . Actually that whole movie scared the **** out of me.

Still an upsetting film in many ways.

worzel gummage, yuck

No joke my granda was the absolute image of worzel gummage, no teeth aswell so he didn't scare me ha :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Doctor Who and Knightmare which was a kids show but terrified me at time. Non kids shows would have been Tales of the Unexpected and Sapphire and Steel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I remember finding the movie Animal Farm really disturbing, especially when the horse was worked to death :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Stephen Kings 'IT' and the original 'Halloween' were very scary for a ten year old.

• Oh yea - was not really for children - but I ended up watching "V" when I was way too young to do so. Used to hide behind the sofa during the peeling the skin off their face scenes. Freaked me out something awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

It wasn't for kids and I was about 6 when it was on but some scenes in V
    like the one below frightened the shyte out of me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Hated the oompah loompahs in Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory...nightmare enducing for me.....
    Also Lou Ferrigno in the Incredible Hulk TV series, I never moved so fast in my life when I saw those eyes of Bill Bixby look to the sky as he was about to change :)

daRobot wrote: »
    Stephen Kings 'IT' and the original 'Halloween' were very scary for a ten year old.

its ok you just have to make sure that you don't think of 'IT' :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dog of Tears

Any 'children's' story by Hans Christian Anderson is guaranteed to be as depressing as fcuk. It's pretty much guaranteed to end with everyone dying a miserable and lonely death.

It's great as it prepares children for the never-ending misery of life once they grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Riminey Riddle. Utterly terrifying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,392 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Government ads about safety in the home.

Scared the crap out of me then and still do now.

There used to be a government ad about a pack of dogs who'd meet up and go around killing sheep...used to scare the sh*t outta me.

The wheelers in return to Oz.

And critters.

Advertisement