Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Attenborough scaremongering?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭uptherebels

I think every-one agrees that climate change is real, as the climate has been naturally changing for millions of years and longer, Natural climate change is just that 'Natural', and we will no doubt have another ice-age in the future and also much warmer periods like the medieval warm period, and this is a natural cycle of our planet.

But these alarmist nutcases want to completely stop and interfere with the earths natural cycles, and they think that puny humans are going to cause something that already exists 'Climate Change'. Not one scientist or climatologist on this planet fully understands how the climate actually works, but yet they think they know the exact change variables humans are supposed to accumulate to it when they do not even fully understand climate.

So-called man-made global warming as it was originally called is the biggest money making scam in the history of the world. Tax the worlds population for something that always existed... Natural climate change.

WOW. No too many want to stop or interfere with the earths natural cycles. They want to stop and/or limit man made influences that accelerate the change in the natural cycle. As with many things in life its not the change that is the problem, it is the rate at which the change happens.
    Your correct that not one scientist or climatologist fully understands the climate . This is because it is a very large and complex system.So like most other fields of science, where no one person understands everything, it works on the contribution of the many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'd have thought pumping billions of tonnes of carbon into the seas and air would be more likely to interfere with the "natural" cyles myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

More money in the carbon taxes etc.

When the world is truly f**ked and beyond the point of no return, what value do you think money will have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Kneemos, what is the "climate change agenda"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I was only thinking today I remember being in primary school (mid 80's) there was all this talk of "acid rain". Whatever happened to that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

kneemos wrote: »
    Not a clue. Nature programmes however inevitably have a forlorn looking Seal or Polar Bear to drive home the climate change agenda.

Other environmental disasters like to the destruction of forests for example rarely get a mention.

Rarely get a mention? That was all people could talk about in the ‘90s and it’s still recognised as a very bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I was only thinking today I remember being in primary school (mid 80's) there was all this talk of "acid rain". Whatever happened to that?

Like with the Ozone Layer, governments took action and restricted what you could pump into the atmosphere and mostly solved the problem here in Europe. It didn't magically go away nor was it made up. Other less developed countries still have acid rain problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

It's like the "homeless industry" or "Egg conspiracy" if you don't like eggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Rarely get a mention? That was all people could talk about in the ‘90s and it’s still recognised as a very bad thing.

When people say things like "x rarely gets a mention", what they mean is that they haven't been hearing about it in their particular bubble and project that onto the whole population.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,408 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I was referring to nature programmes always blaming everything on climate change,even when there is evidence to the contrary.

No problem with climate change, it's the hysteria,exaggeration and lies that do the cause no good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

kneemos wrote:
    I was referring to nature programmes always blaming everything on climate change,even when there is evidence to the contrary.

They don't blame everything on climate change. Deforestation is mentioned quite often, humun behaviour. Single use plastics. However climate change is despite the wishes of deniers the single biggest threat to the planet at the present.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,207 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

The planet will be here long after the human race is gone.

You're right. If we're going down, we're taking the planet with us. Crack its core!!!

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Slattsy wrote: »
    Regardless, he was great in Jurassic Park.

Ah here, I know he's old but referring to him as being a dinosaur is a bit excessive!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

We get it. There's an unpredictable element, a margin of error... but no it's not that! It's chaos theory, so all is lost! Nothing is knowable! Throw up your hands and abandon all efforts to control the uncontrollable! Nobody understands this like I, the prophet of chaos, who read about it in New Scientist in 1996.

I don't know, where are you going with this? Where does citing chaos theory actually get anyone?

Well, it does invite pendants to point out that you stating "climate also called chaos theory" is wildly inaccurate. Climate is a chaotic system, but not the only one. Also climate being chaotic does not mean it cannot be modeled, because modelling chaos is the point of chaos theory.

Do you work in the area by any chance?

I find that pendants are very good at pointing out things, or shall we say, shining a light on things. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The interest in this was mainly because coal fired power stations in the UK used to pollute the forests of Norway, Sweden, Finland. Coal was phased out and so called scrubbers (FGDs) were retrofitted to existing stations. This massively reduced the acid pollution drifting on the westerly air over Scandinavia. Acid rain is still an issue in parts of Eastern Europe/Russia and the north east USA (the black triangle)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,078 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

MrFresh wrote: »
    A bit of balance? Like "Whales are bastards. Who needs em anyway?"

Actually the killer ones are right bastards.
    Don't let that fooker Willie fool ya. ;)

The likes of humpbacks, sperm, etc seem pretty nice.

Mad Muffin is right in certain things.
    You have campaigners and celebrities lecturing people about the environment whilst at the same time jetting around the world, hawking (endorsing) all types of consumer shyte for a kickback.

One of the big problems is consumption in the Western world, but the laugh is a lot of the ones always on about climate change and environment are queuing to get the latest iPhone, built in a sweat shop factory in China fed with dirty coal fire powerstation and then shipped around the world.

The same clowns will be buying exotic shrink wrapped fruit in M&S that has been been shipped around the world.

IMHO one of the problems is the very ones that care most about the environment are also the ones that give a sh** about people.
    And population growth is huge part of issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Slattsy wrote: »
    Regardless, he was great in Jurassic Park.

One of the best documentries I’ve seen. Much better than the blue planet one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

When the world is truly f**ked and beyond the point of no return, what value do you think money will have?

And as that empty crisp packet rolled along the plain, a solo Apache wiped a tear from his eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

No problem with climate change, it's the hysteria,exaggeration and lies that do the cause no good.
    How do you know what's hysteria, exaggeration and lies? Not wanting to face up to it doesn't mean it's untrue.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,769 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Must be a lot of examples of this, care to provide any in particular?

• Advertisement

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Must be a lot of examples of this, care to provide any in particular?

Nope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

How do you know what's hysteria, exaggeration and lies? Not wanting to face up to it doesn't mean it's untrue.
    He watched a 10 minute YouTube video and now knows more than scientists and experts.

Sure why would you need experts when a former accountant can tell you otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Got a reply from David. He found it quite amusing and took most of the posts in good spirit. He says there is no scaremongering: even he was surprised at the rate of change in the earth's climate and the accelerated affects on the life of the planet. As long as his efforts spark some conversation on the matter, he's going to keep at it as long as his health allows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭ForestFire

However climate change is despite the wishes of deniers the single biggest threat to the planet at the present.

Possible you are correct, and we still don't know how much can be attributed to humans. It could be 10%, 90% or somewhere in between.

Even not knowing this, there is still huge benifit to use as much green, renewable and recyclable services and power as possible.

If we can effectively harness power from the sun, wind, sea, earth, and use paper straws instead of plastics then it is the right thing to do.

However the single biggest treat??

Maybe it's bee population?
    Water supply contamination?
    Cyber/nuclear warfare?
    Ebola or something similar?

Whatever its going to be I think it better to promote a better way of living, rather than lecture and tax ordinary citizens while the rich have a significantly larger carbon footprints than any of us.

• Site Banned Posts: 73 ✭✭Jimmy_oc1998

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Your dog has a bigger carbon footprint than your car.

I do wonder what the people of the Maldives and pacific islands think as the islands around submerge under water due to rising sea levels.

• Site Banned Posts: 73 ✭✭Jimmy_oc1998

I do wonder what the people of the Maldives and pacific islands think as the islands around submerge under water due to rising sea levels.

That would eventually happen with or without humans on the planet.

Just like one day Galway will erode away.

That would eventually happen with or without humans on the planet.

Just like one day Galway will erode away.
    Nope.
    The sea levels are rising I think its fair to say that I'm going to trust experts over well non experts on the complex reasons why .
    It's happening and no amount of 10 minute YouTube videos will convince reality otherwise.

• Advertisement

Nope.
    The sea levels are rising I think its fair to say that I'm going to trust experts over well non experts on the complex reasons why .
    It's happening and no amount of 10 minute YouTube videos will convince reality otherwise.

Sea level is down to a number of factors.

https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/sealevel.html

It has rise by five to eight inches since 1900. Must be small islands if five inches can overcome them.

Advertisement