Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hate crime? Really?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I don't think we should overlook her story of being publicly belittled.
    I know it might be low on the list of hate crimes but we shouldnt look down on anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Your Face wrote: »

I see what you did there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I know it might be low on the list of hate crimes but we shouldnt look down on anyone.

It's not a hate crime.

And anyway, the idea of a hate crime is bullsh1t. It's either a crime or it's not a crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Seriously OP, that's the part of the story you took issue with!?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Can we agree that it's a small hate crime and leave it short of the full hue-and-cry? Having said that, I'd say the poor woman could have done with a stiff small one when she got home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭ollkiller

There are a lot of things I'd call this behaviour but a hate crime? No, not everything you experience or dislike is a hate crime.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/education/sinead-burke-talks-about-the-hate-crime-that-led-to-her-new-campaign-in-dublin-schools-38007423.html

Who cares if it is a hate crime or not. Only thing i care about is catching the idiots who demeaned her. As another poster said this thread is what you got out of that story. Have a word with yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

FunLover18 wrote: »

any excuse to complain about political correctness/SJWs/censorship ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 408 ✭✭SoundsRight

I definitely would.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,126 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Wait, so she's the bad guy in this situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

whats an activist without a hate crime?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It seems to be the categorisation of this as a hate crime. Unacceptable, oikish bullying, utterly anti-social and obnoxious sure but legally hate crime would be hard to prove. Even so, as a label it's an easier one to hang the message of her work in schools on. The story is wrong about the location of the buildings. Had it actually been O'Connell St at lunch time it would not have been unseen

• Registered Users Posts: 9,661 ✭✭✭buried

Bit of a pointless exercise going to schools to try to talk to the likes of those gurriers. They won't be in them.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

Whilst morally and ethically reprehensible it was a commendable athletic feat.

buried wrote: »
    Bit of a pointless exercise going to schools to try to talk to the likes of those gurriers. They won't be in them.
    It's more of a case of hearts and minds where you can.

I don't care what it's called, it's a horrible thing to do and the most important thing is that this woman was demeaned and made feel afraid and unsafe going about her daily life.

I'm not a dwarf but I am quite small and I've had someone pick me up and literally throw me to his friend across a table of drinks, they thought it was hilarious but it frightened me and has never left me. Now I'm anxious in some situations when I never was before. I hope she's okay and her message is heeded by the people she talks to, it's a worthwhile endeavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,972 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Sure most of the posts in this thread are the same as what those kids did. Making fun of her, for the amusement of people on the internet in the hopes of getting some internet points.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Whilst morally and ethically reprehensible it was a commendable athletic feat.

They should really have asked if she was willing to help out in their training for Tokyo 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

is_that_so wrote: »
    It seems to be the categorisation of this as a hate crime. Unacceptable, oikish bullying, utterly anti-social and obnoxious sure but legally hate crime would be hard to prove. Even so, as a label it's an easier one to hang the message of her work in schools on. The story is wrong about the location of the buildings. Had it actually been O'Connell St at lunch time it would not have been unseen

I don't think what she chooses to call this horrific, humiliating experience the likes of which very few of those posting here can imagine is worthy of an entire let alone one full of "clever" wordplay. Would anyone here correct her in person? I highly doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

is_that_so wrote: »

To me it’s the kind of thing that does need stamping out. She should be free to walk around without worrying about being harassed.

I don't think what she chooses to call this horrific, humiliating experience the likes of which very few of those posting here can imagine is worthy of an entire let alone one full of "clever" wordplay. Would anyone here correct her in person? I highly doubt it.
    I'm not demeaning the awful experience in any way. I would question her in person on her use of the term because loose use of language causes all manner of unforeseen circumstances. Incidentally before you head up to that self-anointed high road of yours I'd also have been the first one up to challenge the gurriers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Two little classless Dublin scrotes.

Rotten thing to do, they both frightened and humiliated her.

To me it’s the kind of thing that does need stamping out. She should be free to walk around without worrying about being harassed.

Absolutely. Much of the regular anti-social issues in central Dublin are down to people in that age group.

ollkiller wrote: »
    Who cares if it is a hate crime or not. Only thing i care about is catching the idiots who demeaned her. As another poster said this thread is what you got out of that story. Have a word with yourself.

Let's just call it a genocide and be done with it. Sure who cares what we call anything?

I imagine it's called a hate crime since it only occurred because she is a dwarf. If she wasn't, it wouldn't have happened so she was targeted specifically because she was different. I don't think anyone is promoting it as the worse example of a hate crime but still, what it's called is very much a secondary consideration.

In case I have to spell it out, the assault on her was disgusting and reprehensible.

I don't see anywhere in the article where she is quoted as referring to this attack as a "hate crime". All I see is a headline written by some idiot journalist. I bet she never called it a "hate crime".

This kind of bullying goes on in every school up and down the country all the time. It's not hate crime, it's bullying. Calling it a "hate crime" gives it an appeal to the sick low IQ idiots who enjoy this type of thing it doesn't deserve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

BattleCorp wrote: »
    It's not a hate crime.

And anyway, the idea of a hate crime is bullsh1t. It's either a crime or it's not a crime.

Its quite apt, that in this case, my post went over your head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

OP, did she imply everything she experiences or dislikes is a hate crime? Oh yeah, of course she didn't.
    Mickeroo wrote: »
    Wait, so she's the bad guy in this situation?
    It's pretty extraordinary. I mean, I think there's merit in the view that there can be way too much sensitivity, but that doesn't mean it's necessary to become completely harsh and dismissive either. Her experience was awful - poor woman. Horrible pieces of sh1t to do that to her.

But yeah, the bigger concern here is what she - the person who experienced it - called it. :rolleyes:
    Let's just call it a genocide and be done with it. Sure who cares what we call anything?
    Who... suggested that? :confused:

It's not hate crime, it's bullying.

If you're being bullied because of your color, sexual orientation, religion, disability, or any other difference, that is the definition of a hate crime.

She was assaulted because she's a dwarf. It's not the worst hate crime imaginable but it fits the description.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Candie wrote: »
    I don't care what it's called, it's a horrible thing to do and the most important thing is that this woman was demeaned and made feel afraid and unsafe going about her daily life.

I'm not a dwarf but I am quite small and I've had someone pick me up and literally throw me to his friend across a table of drinks, they thought it was hilarious but it frightened me and has never left me. Now I'm anxious in some situations when I never was before. I hope she's okay and her message is heeded by the people she talks to, it's a worthwhile endeavour.

You can’t compare what happened to you and the lady in the article IMHO, you were physically lifted, I’d go as far as to say assaulted. Nobody actually interfered with that lady, they didn’t touch her.
    I imagine it's called a hate crime since it only occurred because she is a dwarf. If she wasn't, it wouldn't have happened so she was targeted specifically because she was different. I don't think anyone is promoting it as the worse example of a hate crime but still, what it's called is very much a secondary consideration.

It’s not a hate crime, no hatred was shown towards her, nobody tried to incite hatred. Two young fellas had a laugh at her expense alright, but that was it. Had they touched her, verbally abused her etc., then you’d have a point.

• Advertisement

If you're being bullied because of your color, sexual orientation, religion, disability, or any other difference, that is the definition of a hate crime.

She was assaulted because she's a dwarf. It's not the worst hate crime imaginable but it fits the description.

A definition of a hate crime requires violence. There was extreme harassment, bullying and very anti-social behaviour here.

Advertisement