Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sanctions system to be introduced after assault on referee

• 16-11-2018 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭

https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/1116/1011354-referee-sanctions/

Would post this in the soccer forum if I could but how does the proposal make any sense? Would a 10-year ban for any assault on a referee not make more sense?
    Instead we're going to have a 'tiered' system of assaults on referees. And the referees agreed to this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

newmember? wrote: »

Would post this in the soccer forum if I could but how does the proposal make any sense? Would a 10-year ban for any assault on a referee not make more sense?
    Instead we're going to have a 'tiered' system of assaults on referees. And the referees agreed to this?

Please read the article carefully as it is not as you are seeing it? A year out for a professional sportsman is very serious and could given the reasons end his career.

And for a terrible assault like this, a life ban

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I presume it will be tiered in the sense of maybe putting your hands on a red or verbal abuse will be at the lower end while violent conduct will be treated very severely?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

You should apply for access to the soccerball forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,414 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

hopefully the scum who attacked him get lifetime bans from the sport, lifetime bans from all soccer matches and a 5 year prison sentence...especially the last part.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,975 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Why do we need new rules?

Is GBH and assault not enough to charge people on? The location where assault happens should be irrelevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

A 10 year prison sentence for assault would be better, people would think twice then

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

NIMAN wrote: »
    Why do we need new rules?

Is GBH and assault not enough to charge people on? The location where assault happens should be irrelevant.
    Well that's separate to any soccer bans, it's good to have lifetime bans in addition to any prison sentence

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭newmember2

Graces7 wrote: »
    Please read the article carefully as it is not as you are seeing it? A year out for a professional sportsman is very serious and could given the reasons end his career.

And for a terrible assault like this, a life ban

It's clearly sending out the message that you can still assault a ref as long as it's on the lower scale and you'll get a lesser punishment. Like wtf?
    Dissent is one thing but assault should be loud and clear - hands off the ref - and anyone who disagrees shouldn't be playing the game and can have a 10-year rest to think about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

vicwatson wrote: »
    A 10 year prison sentence for assault would be better, people would think twice then

That would imply that they'd thought once to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

That would imply that they'd thought once to begin with.

Or had the ability to think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

I used to be a referee and think a lifetime ban and community service, used to get the worst abuse in Ballybrack, but after the match you'd be approached by several people and they'd appologise for their behavior, all oxo as far as I was concerned, but when you'd be in a supposedly nice area like Mount Merrion, you'd get pricks confronting you, so I'd stop the game and tell the managers that the game wouldn't resume until they removed the prick, now I'm handy enough without being Van Damme, but I've had a few come after me, and I'm a small fat lad, but in my experience, if you get this in the car park, I used to square up and start roaring out of me, if they kept it up, we had a problem and on 1 or 2 occasions i've bursted cúnts that wouldn't back down, I had to give it up because it was becoming too common in the 'Nice Area's' and I didn't need more time in a Garda station

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It's clearly sending out the message that you can still assault a ref as long as it's on the lower scale and you'll get a lesser punishment. Like wtf?
    Dissent is one thing but assault should be loud and clear - hands off the ref - and anyone who disagrees shouldn't be playing the game and can have a 10-year rest to think about it.

You forget that in Ireland sports personalities are a little less than gods.... ;) Not like us ordinary mortals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Wouldn't happen in Rugby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

RasTa wrote: »
    Wouldn't happen in Rugby

Only a plastic rugby fan myself but one of my favorite aspects of the game is the respect the refs get. It’s a great understanding.

Football players getting in a refs face looking childish and petulant in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

Why is it that football has allowed it to reach this level? Try swearing at the umpire in a hockey match and you'll find yourself straight off the pitch. Similarly with rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,631 ✭✭✭✭josip

40 year bans for the 3 players, so that's the playing careers over

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018/1123/1012861-three-players-and-spectator-handed-bans-over-ref-attack/

plus another 40 year ban for the spectator who was already serving a similar ban, so not sure how effective bans at a spectator level will be.

Has anyone found a thread on this over in the soccer forum?
    Ive searched but couldn't find anything.

no names?

sheer cowardice in reporting, that

• Registered Users Posts: 13,631 ✭✭✭✭josip

no names?

sheer cowardice in reporting, that

They can probably only reveal names in the event of a court case?

josip wrote: »
    They can probably only reveal names in the event of a court case?

i considered that but three of them were named in this event and a fourth noted as "unnamed"

the fact that they have been banned is a news item

i dont think its in any way arguable that there is a prohibition on their names being reported as part of the facts of this

as to whether they can be named as definitely having done the act prior to a trial, fair enough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

My son started playing GAA this year, we played about 5 blitz's in various clubs and the level of abuse the refs gets is unreal. Most of these refs are teenagers from the host clubs and to be honest if i was them id say no, if was asked to do them in the future. I was asked to do umpire in our clubs blitz and in one game i gave a point that was 50/50 as its hard to judge as the posts arent that high. Well the abuse i got for the side line was unreal, TBH it didnt bother me, but when your volunteering you shouldnt have to put up with that crap. After the game the referee who was 16 btw, was confronted by 3 adults and given dogs of abuse as well. This is at under 10's level. I come from a rugby background and you'd never see any crap like that.

• Advertisement

josip wrote: »
    40 year bans for the 3 players, so that's the playing careers over

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018/1123/1012861-three-players-and-spectator-handed-bans-over-ref-attack/

plus another 40 year ban for the spectator who was already serving a similar ban, so not sure how effective bans at a spectator level will be.

Has anyone found a thread on this over in the soccer forum?
    Ive searched but couldn't find anything.

The “spectator” was banned from playing in 2007 because of this

https://www.offalyindependent.ie/sport/roundup/articles/2007/11/23/26560-clara-referee-assaulted-in-junior-soccer-game

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Are the Gardaí investigating? This is the 2nd time one of the scrotes has assaulted someone at a match.

Advertisement