Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Have you gotten the flu vaccine?

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

I had the H1N1 strain in 2009 and I was out of work for 3.5 weeks, lost a stone and a half and took about 2 months for my energy levels to return to normal,so since then I've made sure to get the flu vaccine every year. It only protects against the most common strain so there's still a possibility of getting flu but at least I've lessened my chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I've had the "real" flu about 3 or 4 times in my entire life. The last being the swine flu, which oddly for me wasn't as bad as the other times I got it. Previous times I could have died of thirst and still not managed to get to a sink for water. With the swine flu I was able to make it to the kitchen, sit on the floor for 30 minutes, get a few bottles of water and make it back to bed before collapsing. So that was nice.

I get the flu jab most years, because I have family members who are older/immune compromised, and I'd never forgive myself if I contributed to them getting the flu. I got shingles one year before Christmas. Thankfully it cleared up and I passed the infectious stage, but I had resigned myself to spending Christmas alone rather than putting family members at risk.

Last time I got the vaccine there was no charge - I was at my GP for something else anyway, so paid for the visit, but the jab itself was free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

[quote="fg1406;102175478" It only protects against the most common strain so there's still a possibility of getting flu but at least I've lessened my chances.[/quote]

My dad has a respritory disease and caught the flu twice in the last four years despite being militant about getting the vaccine when it is ready. Apparently another strain of it was doing the rounds after the vaccination was made for 2014/15 (his GP told him) then he was unlucky enough to get it again in November.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Danbo! wrote: »
    It takes about 2 weeks to be effective, and you likely pick up the flu a couple of days (1-4) before you feel any symptoms. It's also not 100% effective, but either way you dont get the flu from the flu vaccine.

My own personal experience and that of people I know who got it vary from the above.

I don't dispute what you are saying, just saying it as I have experienced it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

KC161 wrote: »
    My own personal experience and that of people I know who got it vary from the above.

I don't dispute what you are saying, just saying it as I have experienced it.

Same as me. Wondering why folk object to the opinions and experiences of others.

auto immune is not a single disease but a symptom of many diseases which also have different things going on.

The "event" that nearly killed me last week, as it did, ... I was blessed and very lucky in A and E to be seen by an older overseas dr who knew my disease which many here do not. He knew immediately that the issue was yet another progression of the disease, another auto immune manifestation.

My decision is no flu vaccine for me, and that and re other vaccines is on my medical notes. I have no worries what you choose to do.

I know my illness through and through and it is my responsibilty to make sure I take care and not use resources needlessly.

• Advertisement

Fair enough. I don't know your illness but it's ludicrous that a consultant thinks an non live vaccine doesn't work

Ah I did not say that, Just that for me it would be contraindicated.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Graces7 wrote: »
    If the vaccine is inactive it cannot protect. Period.

I checked all this at consultant level ..

But you did say that

currants wrote: »
    http://www.publichealth.org/public-awareness/understanding-vaccines/vaccines-work/

It may be not advised for you but that's not because live vaccines are bad and nonlive vaccines don't work. Anyone on immuno-supressants is strongly advised to have the flu vaccine- injectable immuno suppressants cannot be prescribed by a GP, it must be a consultant so its defintely consultants doling out this advice.

I would hate anyone reading this to think they shouldn't bother getting the flu vaccine as it wont work, it does work, it isn't dangerous and potentially keeps people like me, byte, robbingbandit and loveinapril alive and well.

To those folk who constantly get colds and flu the most effective form of prevention is washing your hands with soap and hot water for 20 secs every time before you eat or drink. Its cut down drastically on the amount of sniffles I get. Make sure whoever is cooking at home does it too. Anti bac gel is a good sub if you're not near a sink, you don't have to go full on Howard Hughes, training your self to get out of the habit of touching your face is quite effective too.
    For those who like to indulge in traffic nose picking its a very effective way of spreading viruses

Did not and would never ever say that FOR OTHERS etc etc. Simply my situation and my decision after taking full professional advice from health care professionals who know me and my medical history

Your decision based on your situation and medical history is perfect for you and I truly wish you well on that

I was in town today and in a pharmacy and coudl have said ok etc, but would then never have the brass nerve to seek help later!

It has been discussed etc and the decision FOR ME made, End of!

It is highly recommended that people with auto immune disease or any "immunocompromising conditions" get the flu vaccine every year. As you say, it is not a live culture vaccine

Ah but so are the over 65s and you I think said that YOU did not get it...

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Harambe

I always get the flu every year. So this year I decided to get the flu jab in November as they were doing it in work for €10.
    Haven't got the flu this year yet. And fingers crossed I won't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭ Alessia Strong Blood

I'm considering getting the vaccine but put it off due to cost. I think I will go for it tomorrow but I already have a cold so will they give it to me? I had swine flu confirmed by swab during the big outbreak and was still at work because I believed all the rubbish spouted about not being able to get out of bed if it was flu.

So the answer to that was no. Cost me €25 for nothing. Doctor said come in for it then decided against when he saw me. Don't think I'll get a chance to get it now once back in work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Joziah Long Summerhouse

Ah but so are the over 65s and you I think said that YOU did not get it...

I said it was HIGHLY recommended for those with Auto Immune Diseases - in the context of a reply to another poster on the AI Disease issue. It is recommended for over 65s of course but I enjoy , thank God, robust good health at 73 and am not in an at risk group. Mrs S gets it because of health issues. If I get to the stage that I need it I will not hesitate to do so.

You said;
    If the vaccine is inactive it cannot protect.

The contradictions here are astounding. If it is, which it is, an inactive vaccine it cannot cause auto immune problems, and it does (although you stated it did not) protect against the flu. Of course it is up to every individual but please don't state that it does not work when it clearly does.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,350 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

The Cush wrote: »
    Got the flu once in the last 20 years, had to take 2 weeks off work, prefer not to go through it again. Know someone who died of swine flu (H1N1) back in 2009, recorded on the death cert, was one of the 24 recorded during that outbreak.

Got the vaccine back in 2009 during the mass inoculation programme that year and every October since, no side effects and costs just €15.

I know it may not cover a strain or two of flu virus going around in a particular year as the vaccine has to be finalised by a particular time for manufacture and distribution by October in this part of the world, maybe before a potential strain is identified for inclusion, but it protects from most others.

I've had the vaccine a few times in the last few years, I've a mate who got the vaccine also and claims as a result of it he now suffers from narcolepsy, where he often blacks out into sleeping, as a result of this he can never get a driving licence because of this condition. The cush, you are talking about the 2009 period, can you remember when this was in the media about flu vaccine causing some cases of narcolepsy in some people. It has not affected me, so I suppose I'm lucky, but this friend of mine falls asleep during a conversation or doing a task, so that is serious implications to the vaccine for some. Perhaps the vaccine has changed since 2009, but here's a link to scientific evidence. https://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/concerns/history/narcolepsy-flu.html

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

I said it was HIGHLY recommended for those with Auto Immune Diseases - in the context of a reply to another poster on the AI Disease issue. It is recommended for over 65s of course but I enjoy , thank God, robust good health at 73 and am not in an at risk group. Mrs S gets it because of health issues. If I get to the stage that I need it I will not hesitate to do so.

You said;

The contradictions here are astounding. If it is, which it is, an inactive vaccine it cannot cause auto immune problems, and it does (although you stated it did not) protect against the flu. Of course it is up to every individual but please don't state that it does not work when it clearly does.

No contradictions. None at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

I don't know if I have the flu or not. I have a very very bad cold. Like I feel OK, I'm alive but I threw up with it. I have never vomited with a cold before. Also feel run down and rubbish. Don't know if it's a cold or the flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭currants

I've had the vaccine a few times in the last few years, I've a mate who got the vaccine also and claims as a result of it he now suffers from narcolepsy, where he often blacks out into sleeping, as a result of this he can never get a driving licence because of this condition. The cush, you are talking about the 2009 period, can you remember when this was in the media about flu vaccine causing some cases of narcolepsy in some people. It has not affected me, so I suppose I'm lucky, but this friend of mine falls asleep during a conversation or doing a task, so that is serious implications to the vaccine for some. Perhaps the vaccine has changed since 2009, but here's a link to scientific evidence. https://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/concerns/history/narcolepsy-flu.html

That was the swine flu H1N1 vaccine, not the regular flu one. Nasty condition that narcolepsy but again it was a different vaccine to the normal flu vaccine used ans was released without proper testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭currants

Did not and would never ever say that FOR OTHERS etc etc. Simply my situation and my decision after taking full professional advice from health care professionals who know me and my medical history

Your decision based on your situation and medical history is perfect for you and I truly wish you well on that

I was in town today and in a pharmacy and coudl have said ok etc, but would then never have the brass nerve to seek help later!

It has been discussed etc and the decision FOR ME made, End of!

I don't object to anyone making decisions on their own health, I objected to you saying "if the vaccine is inactive it cannot protect. Period"
    This is an objectively untrue statement and did not come from a consultant. That's all I was pointing out. I hope neither of us gets the flu now after all this talk about it :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

It is highly recommended that people with auto immune disease or any "immunocompromising conditions" get the flu vaccine every year. As you say, it is not a live culture vaccine
    I also get the vaccine every year, I have two auto-immune conditions and am on an immuno-modulating drug. As a primary teacher get coughed at and on quite a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

currants wrote: »
    That was the swine flu H1N1 vaccine, not the regular flu one. Nasty condition that narcolepsy but again it was a different vaccine to the normal flu vaccine used ans was released without proper testing.

IIRC there were 2 vaccines being used at the time with Pandemrix causing much of the problems relating to narcolepsy, from what I remember I got the other one.

In any case the H1NI strain has been included in every annual flu vaccine since 2009 including this years version. This from the vaccine information leaflet "A/California/7/2009 (H1N1)pdm09 - like strain (A/California/7/2009, NYMC X-179A)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

To date this season, seven confirmed influenza cases died and were notified to HPSC. All deaths were in cases aged 60 years and older. Five were associated with influenza A(H3), one with influenza A (not subtyped) and one with influenza B.

http://www.hpsc.ie/A-Z/Respiratory/Influenza/SeasonalInfluenza/Surveillance/InfluenzaSurveillanceReports/20162017Season/File,16008,en.pdf

• Advertisement
Advertisement