Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Help needed from a chemist

• 04-02-2021 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭

hoping there is someone there who will be able to help. There are generally 4 types of polymer resins in paint, epoxy, Alkyd, Acrylic and Polyurethane. These are in very layman's terms, plastic. I know oil degrades plastic, but would oil that is present in your skin break down the resins in paint over time? E.g, if a painted a door covering an integrated fridge and it didn't have a handle, would the paint degrade at the spot where ppl are using their hands to grip the edge? ( I'm not talking about general wear and tear.) Thanks D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,235 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'd be more worried about other oils - butter, vegetable oil, etc. Certainly there would be some discolouration, even before you count dirt. This is why handles tend to be made of a single material and not coated (unless it's a permanent coating like anodised aluminium) or painted.

However, it is mechanical damage that will do the most damage - fingers, jewelry, containers, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

I do know that, but I specifically need to know about the oils in a persons skin . ( thanks though)

Advertisement