Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Support for those quitting smoking

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭DivX

oscarBravo wrote:
    You do realise that the Allen Carr seminar method involves hypnosis, right?

In that post I was referring the book method of which I had first hand experience, can’t really say what methods Allen used during his seminar's.

The book didn’t put you in a trance or Hypnotic state (otherwise how could you read it?) but instead he used a method called NLP (Neuro-Linguistic Programming) which allows you to break bad habits and in this case smoking. So yes, hypnosis is probably a big part of the Seminar and NLP is the method employed in his books. (otherwise you have to get into scripts and such).

Perhaps a psychologist or hypnotist could better explain the difference between Hypnosis and NLP, but if either helps you in your objective, then thats good enough.

I pressure your referring to “Packing It in the Easy Way” by Allen Carr, haven’t read it, I understand this is his autobiography rather than a method book? Was it any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

The difference in prices for hypnotism is a tricky one.
    What's the difference? If you go to Desmond Riordan, do you have less of a chance of
    staying off them?

Kevin Hendrik - €400
    Allen Carr - €250
    Dr. Desmond Riordan - €100

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

DivX wrote:
    The book didn’t put you in a trance or Hypnotic state (otherwise how could you read it?) but instead he used a method called NLP (Neuro-Linguistic Programming) which allows you to break bad habits and in this case smoking. So yes, hypnosis is probably a big part of the Seminar and NLP is the method employed in his books. (otherwise you have to get into scripts and such).

Perhaps a psychologist or hypnotist could better explain the difference between Hypnosis and NLP, but if either helps you in your objective, then thats good enough.
    I must read the EasyWay book again, and look for the NLP patterns. I don't remember seeing too many before - and reading is not usually a particularly effective delivery mechanism for NLP techniques anyway.

The difference between hypnosis and NLP: hypnosis is generally understood to be an altered state of consciousness, leading to increased suggestibility of the subconscious mind. NLP is a set of techniques involving the use of subtle language patterns and physiology to influence someone. The use of NLP patterns in hypnosis is a really powerful combination.

As a matter of interest, where did you get the information that the book uses NLP? I wasn't aware that Allen had had any NLP training.
    I pressure your referring to “Packing It in the Easy Way” by Allen Carr, haven’t read it, I understand this is his autobiography rather than a method book? Was it any good?
    It's an autobiography, yes. I found it to be like his other books - full of logical fallacies. I actually planned to write a refutation of a number of them, but didn't bother - for one, I don't have time, and besides, as you say: if it helps some people, what's the harm?
    Sleipnir wrote:
    The difference in prices for hypnotism is a tricky one.
    What's the difference? If you go to Desmond Riordan, do you have less of a chance of staying off them?
    Unless Kevin has changed his approach recently, you get a backup service: if you start smoking again, you get to go back for another session. I thought Kevin had moved to England, haven't spoken to him in a while.

I don't know Desmond at all, so I can't comment on what he offers.

Well Kevin (as you call him!) works out of The Albany Clinic on Fitzwilliam St lower and has an office in Gorey.
    There is the backup alright but if youo went to Dr. Riordan it might work on the 1st session and if it didn't work you could go back 3 times before the price would equal Dr. Hendrik's.
    I really don't know.

Sleipnir wrote:
    Well Kevin (as you call him!)
    ...only 'cos that's his name! ;)
    Sleipnir wrote:
    works out of The Albany Clinic on Fitzwilliam St lower and has an office in Gorey.
    There is the backup alright but if youo went to Dr. Riordan it might work on the 1st session and if it didn't work you could go back 3 times before the price would equal Dr. Hendrik's.
    I really don't know.
    What you need to ask yourself is this: if people didn't find his service worth the price, would he be in a position to continue charging it?

• Advertisement

I know, I know. Still 400 hard-earned bucks though. :confused:

Plus they could only offer me a date 1 month in advance which sucks cos I'd have €400 spent on fags in the meantime! (well not quite but you get the idea)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

oscarBravo wrote:
    ...only 'cos that's his name! ;) What you need to ask yourself is this: if people didn't find his service worth the price, would he be in a position to continue charging it?
    I'll need to use that line when I hike up my charges ten fold to my various employers.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

does anyone know of a hypnotist in donegal

http://www.hypnosiseire.com/salmon/donegal.htm

I get Donegal customers fairly regularly. You can find out more through my profile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Have you looked in the 'Golden pages' under hypnotherapy or hypnotist's, or Highland Radio has a good database of info, you could give them a call on 074-91 25000.

Thats my best suggestion, it being Friday morning and all.

If you are trying to give up smoking. I stopped suddenly in November 1999, I put the pack of fag's on the mantlepiece [within reach] and glared at them for about a Month.

The compulsion to grab them would hit me without warning, but I would say to myself "To hell with that" my life has been ruled for far to long by a damned expensive weed. So I would resist picking up the pack for a 'few minutes' and lo and behold, the desire for a drag would vanish mysteriously within minutes.

After about a Month I told a friend who still smokes to take the pack of cigs and the lighter from my mantelpiece, which he did, and I have not purchased any since, even though I still get the damned craving for a 'nicotine blast'. So, up to now I have not smoked for almost five years. I find it hard to believe, but I still take it 'one day at a time' and sometimes it is 'one miserable frustrating second at a time. When the urge is at it's worst I swear like a trooper, but then it subside's and I become 'almost' normal again.

Good luck. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Spalk0

Well im only on my second day of giving up smoking!Cold turkey....I know it doesnt compare to the rest of you who have managed to stay off them for months but i know reading your experiences has only made me more determined!.....here goes...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Well done and don't forget . . we all had a second day but happily the third day came along very soon and we forgot all about it :D

The best tip I can give you is to get out and walk or cycle or anything to keep yourself busy and your mind occupied. Sitting around wallowing in self pity will only help you fail. I joined a gym and lost some weight while doing my health a favour and giving me a reason to stay away from the weed.

I personally think that cold turkey is the best way to go. The effort and commitment you need goes to make you more determned to succeed and hence more likely to. I understand some people have other factors they need to consider and might find patches or gum help keep them sane for work etc. but there is a satisfaction element to doing it yourself and your willpower improves. As I said above find something to do quickly to occupy the time and keep your mind off of it.

For me the effort I've put into getting back into shape makes me more determined and gives me an extra reason not to smoke again.

Well done to you - we're here if you need encouragement don't be afraid to ask.

ZEN

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭octo

i did Allen Carr five and a half years ago, quit effortlessly, but then got hooked agin this summer after smoking a joint. i'm struggling to quit again. the only problem with allen carr is, if it fails it won't work agin, because he tells you you can't fail. you have to believe in the system.

anyway, if you're quitting, stay off the joints!

Octo

To be honest I miss the odd joint myself, used to help me chill out a bit and was less damaging than the booze!

Good luck !

ZEN

Well i caved there over the weekend, and yes you guessed it, it was from a joint!

Could slap myself silly to be honest!.....but, this aint over yet!Just means WAR!!! i shall try try and try again until i suceed!

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Drexl Spivey

octo wrote:
    i did Allen Carr five and a half years ago, quit effortlessly, but then got hooked agin this summer after smoking a joint. i'm struggling to quit again. the only problem with allen carr is, if it fails it won't work agin, because he tells you you can't fail. you have to believe in the system.

anyway, if you're quitting, stay off the joints!

Octo

Allen Carr says : while you re off the fags,stay offthem. Promise yourself you will not breath or use anything that contains nicotin. It would be harder to quit.

That s why I even keep away from smoke from people who re smoking in the street. It may sound ( and look ) silly, but I promised myself not to inhale this filthy addictive product.

Good luck all, don't fall in the trap : just one, or passive smoking is nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭MistressPandora

Ok, I've been a smoker pretty much non stop for 4 years and I know for a fact that today is my last day of smoking. I'm nearly finished reading Allen Carr's book, and yes, today I shall be freed of the weed!
    This is the same girl that once smoked a pack of twenty in a hour. That's a cigarette every 3 minutes. Admittedly, I was wheezing like a bag pipe the next morning, but that's aside from the point. TODAY IS MY LAST DAY!

Just wanted to share that with you guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭MistressPandora

Ugh, five days off the smokes and I'm turning into the monster from hell. I'm cranky, I could not stop crying on Friday night either. What is wrong with me? This can't all be due to lack of nicotine, can it? I was crying over the most stupid of things as well, like I didn't want to go to the pub but my bf did, so I insisted he go without me, and I ended up crying over the fact that he went for 5 hours.
    Fcuk, I hope this wears off soon, at least I've been inspiring others to stop smoking (the ones who haven't seen me turn into some sort of raving, foaming-at-the-mouth she bitch).
    *sigh*

Ugh, five days off the smokes and I'm turning into the monster from hell. . . . I'm cranky, I could not stop crying on . . . I was crying over the most stupid of things as well . . . I ended up crying over the fact that he went for 5 hours.
    . . . seen me turn into some sort of raving, foaming-at-the-mouth she bitch

mmkay . . you seem like a perfectly normal healthy female to me ;)

Jus kiddin' :D

It gets easier, just hang in there. Find something to do that is the opposite to what the cigarettes did for you. Are you a member of a gym for example ? Put that energy you're using thinking about ciggys into something worthwhile and useful.

That's the best advice I can give you I'm afraid. There's no magic cure, just your own determination and willpower and the support of the people who know you. Now would be a good time to call in some favors from those who you've spent hours listening to on the phone when they had problems.

Good luck !!

ZEN

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

would it be of any benefit to read Allen Carr's book after giving up smoking??

I gave up on monday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭DivX

Congratulations! and keep up the good work. :)

As for the book, well i can only speak from personal experience, after many unsuccessful quits i finally bought and read his book back in dec '03. Completely off them since that time.

The edition i bought had a cd included which you should listen to after reading the book, and i found that i listened to it occasionally for the first month of the quit which helped me a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Lorcan26

sorry i havent had time to read the whole thread but what exactly are in his books/cd's?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Pure evil...if you're a smoker. ;)

Simple message hammered home on pretty much every page.

Buck_Naked wrote:
    would it be of any benefit to read Allen Carr's book after giving up smoking??

I gave up on monday!

I doubt it!I just read the book and im currently off the smokes about 4 days and going well!One of the factors with his book is that it requires to to keep smoking until you have finished reading it!Now whether thats necessary or not i wouldnt be sure but id defineately recommend the book to anyone looking to give up!

Its defineately a different and refreshing approach to 'escaping' the evil weed!

Best of luck anyone giving up! :D

Lorcan26 wrote:
    sorry i havent had time to read the whole thread but what exactly are in his books/cd's?

In his book Lorcan he explains that the actual 'Nicotene(sp?)' addiction is very easy to deal with but the difficult part is the Psycological addiction(Brainwashing) and what he sets out in doing through the book is undermiming and destroying that brainwashing we all have towards them which if is successfull, You will realise that you never even enjoyed smokes in the first place, you pity rather than envy smokers and that you gain nothing from smoking but A LOT from not smoking!Tis worth the read

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

in his new book he awknowledges that people may lapse and this is not to deter them from going at it again with a fresh heart. i was brokenhearted when i started back on them after 5 weeks (i know it doesnt sound long - but for me-thats a record) and i thought that was it. i read his most recent book and he has made a few ammendments o the charter without actually changing the theory. we are not failproof and going on feedback from frightened people who suceeded for a short or long peroid-whatever- has reversed on one or two things to that effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 DangerZone

Hi all am new here today lots to read on here but I will get through most of them - first things first Non Smoker that wot I am now since Dec 1st 2004 I know its not along time but three months for me and that its excellent I never want a smoke again and I will never want one thanks to the person who told me about some Hypnotherapist in my local area, I really thought it wouldnt work for me I use to smoke two packs of backy a week and my will power was very weak but when I came out off there I havent had a smoke since and I am really chuffed to bits with myself into fighting this bad habit away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

How does it work? It doesn't lie to you. You lie to you. The nicotine lies to you. Carr doesn't lie to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

Hmm I'm reading all your great success stories and wondering what the hell is wrong with me. I've tried to give up a gazillion times. I really hate that I smoke, I hate the smell, the social stigma, the health risks, the cost. After all that I'm obsessed with them. When I give up I spend all my time thinking about them. I've tried Allen Carr, patches, cold turkey etc and failed every time. I'm currently off them for 5 weeks I slipped twice but I'm determined no matter how much it hurts that I'm not going back on them full time. I remember when I was a kid before I smoked and how I never needed a cigarette, I want so much to go back to feeling like that. How can it be that I'm so utterly addicted to these stupid things. Thinking about it, lighting up dried weeds and inhaling the putrid smoke, how can that be so addictive? What makes it worse is that a couple of months ago I promised my dying mother on her death bed that I'd give them up (she always hated that I smoked). My uncle who is built a lot like me is dying of lung cancer from smoking. All of this and I still question my resolve.

I know in my heart of hearts that the only way I'll be free of this torment is to persevere and most of all not to give in to temptation anymore. The two times I slipped just made it harder for me because it undermined my self belief.

It really upsets me when I see young kids starting out on a smoking career. I just wish I knew then what I know now. Sometimes I'd like to go up to these kids and yell at them. Of course they think they'll never get caught in the trap. So did I!!

Sorry for rambling but what I'm really doing here is organising my though processes. Best wishes to those of us giving up, and thanks for sharing your experiences. I found it most encouraging.

Regards,

Dave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭dazberry

I went cold turkey last Monday - and still going strong :D. Its been a couple of years since I last attempted (and obviously failed) but the difference this time is that mentally I am so determined. I'm not going to say it was easy, but it was easier than anytime I have tried before, and after a few days I knew that unlike before when I was 'giving up', this time I'd quit (if that makes any sense). I know its only a week and there are still 'triggers' that make me want a cigarette - but not near as many as I had thought and nothing that I can't deal with.

[ot]
    (Right forum/wrong thread) - I guess I'm so determined because this is part of a bigger picture. Not out of anti-social smoking malaise, or ban, or health, its about taking my life back. This is now the 2nd of 3 resolutions I made this year - the third in June when they're told to stick their job (respectfully) :D.

D.

Advertisement