Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Google Nest Hub - €58.53 (exp 9 Mar 2021 at 4:00 pm)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

byte wrote: »
    Cheers OP. I didn't necessarily need it, but ordered one anyway! :D

It'll be a handy device in the kitchen, I think.

Same as this. Think I'll keep it up near to where the kettle sits, be dead handy for recipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭The Gardener

d.lally2 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you were plugging this out and moving it from room to room periodically does it connect to WiFi, etc automatically or do you have to essentially set it up again?

No, all settings remain the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭d.lally2

No, all settings remain the same.

Brilliant, thanks! Just thinking if you had it in the bedroom and then brought it down the kitchen for a recipe or something. Great price at the minute so think I'll give it a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭VUDuo2

dingding wrote: »
    As well as the nest cameras, it works very well with the nest doorbell.

When the doorbell is pressed, it displays the camera and some options on the touch screen.

By any chance did you migrate your nest account to Google? Did you have any issues between your hub & doorbell notifications if you did??

I got so annoyed with the volume of emails from Google to move my Nest account over and once I did, I no longer can see my doorbell video on my AndroidTV as the Nest App on the TV no longer works - ahhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

€59.99* €89.99

Sneaky price increase that also mysteriously increased the original price too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

Stupid question does it show an actual word recipe or only a video of someone cooking it? Or YouTube only? Or can you browse a recipe eg on BBC good food?

Thanks ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

€59.99* €89.99

VAT has gone back to 23% from 21%, that's why

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭petejmk

€59.99* €89.99

Standard rate of vat increased today.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭eoin.d

Can anyone tell me what coloured light bulbs i need to work through this? And where i could buy them. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

The hub max (with camera) atill isn't avaliable here what must be 2 years after it was released....apart from Dixon at the airport. Wonder if the next one will be.

Would've to know why its not sold in Ireland (saw one on Currys once with a ridiculous price tag, was nearly a grand or something in reality it wasn't avaliable for sale. Especially as their invoice address is Google Dublin.

I know very odd sheep shagger i was wondering the same, weirdly enough its available in littlewoods.
    I cant for the life of me figure out why they would choose not to sell it here, its just a bigger version of this one with a camera to be honest . :confused:

https://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/google-nest-hub-max--nbspcharcoal/1600399689.prd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

eoin.d wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what coloured light bulbs i need to work through this? And where i could buy them. Thanks

Hue bulbs work fine I found :) amazon I think may be your best bet to buy

• Registered Users Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

eoin.d wrote: »

Lots of different bulbs will work with it- though Hue are the best. A cheaper option are the Kasa range from TP Link:

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/smart-bulb/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

thanks OP. Just ordered one for the kitchen

• Registered Users Posts: 23,240 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Lots of different bulbs will work with it- though Hue are the best. A cheaper option are the Kasa range from TP Link:

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/smart-bulb/

I’m not sure Hue are the best. Sure they were the first and the dearest. But any of the ones that work with the smart life app are just as good

• Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Don't you need a Hue hub for Hue smart bulbs? If so then it defeats the purpose of a Nest Hub. Plenty of smart bulbs out there on the market that don't require a dedicated hub. All they need to do is have built in wifi and a supported app with Google Home.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

ted1 wrote: »
    I’m not sure Hue are the best. Sure they were the first and the dearest. But any of the ones that work with the smart life app are just as good

I know what you mean but it's the range of accessories that really make Hue the standout option.
    bazz26 wrote: »
    Don't you need a Hue hub for Hue smart bulbs? If so then it defeats the purpose of a Nest Hub. Plenty of smart bulbs out there on the market that don't require a dedicated hub. All they need to do is have built in wifi and a supported app with Google Home.

A above, it's the accessories that make Hue. It's not so natural to be looking at your phone to dim bulbs or to ask Google to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,446 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Got one for my 76 year old mother for Christmas. By the end of January, she bought a second one for the kitchen.
    Last week, she bought one for my brother for his birthday too.

These are really great devices (for all ages).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭sioda

And mine is on its way thanks op. Missed out on the Lenovo smart clock earlier in the year as this is far better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Mine arrived! (thank OP btw)

Nice bit of kit ... nice screen, UI, Nest Hello works well, photos look great
    Great value for the price!

I think I may have over-googled the kitchen though ...
    I have 2 Google Homes (paired as stereo speakers - sound is decent)

To have it there ... will have to mute the mic.

Or keep it in the home office :)

Ordered Sunday night, here today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Mine arrived today too, very happy with it. I had Spotify going while making the dinner and was able to use the broadcast function to tell the missus to come downstairs when it was ready.

Mine arrived today too, very happy with it. I had Spotify going while making the dinner and was able to use the broadcast function to tell the missus to come downstairs when it was ready.

Paid for itself already so!

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

OP here. Mine arrived too. Knew about broadcast before, but it's nice to have it called out and at the touch of a button. "Call room" is an interesting one. Will have to try that out.

Seriously considering getting another, though I'll have run out of rooms to put them in. Google home mini is in the shed now. Thinking of replacing the Google home in the living room but no more rooms to move it to. Need another house

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Got one for the parents a few months ago
    They find it really handy for playing radio stations and no more twisting the dial on various old radios to switch stations as it just requires a Hey Google command

However the best thing is the photo frame

We have a shared album that all the family add photos to so now the parents get to see some amazing photos of grandkids and all sorts while we are all in lockdown and socially distant

It’s a real pick me up

Folks I'm trying to create a live album for the hub, (which is due to be delivered today)

I'm not seeing any option to automatically add photos though.

Am I doing something wrong?

IMG-20210303-100402.jpg

I've only started labelling faces this morning (about 5am) so I'm wondering does it take a while to kick in?

Edit, I think I might have to wait until I've the hub connected right?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

We are about to start building a house and haven’t had time yet to think about “fun” stuff like this ........
    We currently have an Alexa show and Alexa dot.use them mainly for spotify .
    Got a few Tapo smart plugs at Xmas which were really handy for Xmas decorations but not a lot else . Have two of them on lamps now and the rest out away until next Xmas .

I’m wondering should I get this and start moving towards integrating everything onto google home?
    We won’t be moving into house for around 18 months though so warranty will be well expired and there may well be a newer model by then ......

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

km79 wrote: »
    We are about to start building a house and haven’t had time yet to think about “fun” stuff like this ........
    We currently have an Alexa show and Alexa dot.use them mainly for spotify .
    Got a few Tapo smart plugs at Xmas which were really handy for Xmas decorations but not a lot else . Have two of them on lamps now and the rest out away until next Xmas .

I’m wondering should I get this and start moving towards integrating everything onto google home?
    We won’t be moving into house for around 18 months though so warranty will be well expired and there may well be a newer model by then ......

If you're buying now, to store it for 18 months, it's not a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Looks like I've missed this.
    Showing as €89.99 now at link in OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Looks like I've missed this.
    Showing as €89.99 now at link in OP.

Still showing €59.99* €89.99 for me.

Advertisement