Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seen & Found

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

So I was out at Ballyheigue Beach, Co Kerry yesterday morning at low tide and immediately noticed the large eroded area in front of the car park ( maybe a third of an acre or there about ). Had known that bog has been seen here before when winter storms shifted the sands.
    Quite a large area of bog with numerous tree stumps and lying embedded wooden debris can be seen scattered about.Could even see what looked like seeds or kernals. Also most notable is what appears to be areas cut out of the bog. A lot of these are neat rectangular shapes and saw what looks like the marks left by a slean at the edge of one bank, this looks later but could still be quite old. Also had the impression that there is track marks on the bog surface , like that left by a cart of some sort. Also seen what looks like horseshoe prints. To the right of this area was what again looked like recently exposed track of laid stone although this might be a natural deposit of stone. The stone itself seemed to be more jagged than what you normally find on a beach and more closely compacted ie not rolled by the wave action and would presume has not had much interaction with the seawater.
    Been searching on line but cant find any mention or pictures of this area. Have found reports of ' drowned forests been uncovered in Galway in 2014 / 2017 etc . Have seen dates for these from 4000 to 7500 years old.
    Would appreciate any thoughts or being pointed towards where to find any information on this area or if it is worth reporting further to service like national monuments etc.

Ballyheigue Beach

https://goo.gl/maps/AM2CHzEGFu6cUgoF8

i2uOkbX.jpg?2

AX2Ng5G.jpg?1

vV8xfnl.jpg?1

RLnCcFM.jpg?1

TIADu0u.jpg?1

si5JTKK.jpg?1

mKmV77d.jpg?1

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

More shots

PSSvffX.jpg?1

ZO5zBmJ.jpg?1

Stone feature possibly just naturally occurring.

6VMoKPo.jpg?1

LxsZ4wp.jpg?1

Hoof prints

wXVNJpf.jpg?1

GqP8VGj.jpg?1

more shot of Ballyheigue exposed bog area.

HdI8ffn.jpg?1

5kTAYFA.jpg?1

30nZSiR.jpg?1

G4Em54G.jpg?1

WiMGyhe.jpg?2

F6XZ2Oc.jpg?1

hs8jAgz.jpg?1

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Great photos.
    The shod hoof prints look modern. I’m open to correction on this. That could be any time post 1700, or thereabouts.
    The tracks are a little narrow and close together for a wheeled cart. It’s likely that they are tracks from a slipe or slide cart. These were simple horse-drawn carts with two struts that dragged along the ground rather than wheels.
    They sound inefficient but they were ideal in wetland or in rough slopes and could be repaired easily with simple materials.
    This type of cart was in use right up to the 20th C for turf and stone extraction in mountainous areas.
    The evidence here might not be especially old but it is a fascinating glimpse into work practices frozen in time.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

TIADu0u.jpg?1

That looks like a piece of art, someone will steal it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

I'm from ballyheigue and I find this fascinating, so there would have been farmland in this area long ago , I haven't heard anything about this l locally

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

So I was out at Ballyheigue Beach, Co Kerry yesterday morning at low tide and immediately noticed the large eroded area in front of the car park ( maybe a third of an acre or there about ). Had known that bog has been seen here before when winter storms shifted the sands.
    Quite a large area of bog with numerous tree stumps and lying embedded wooden debris can be seen scattered about.Could even see what looked like seeds or kernals. Also most notable is what appears to be areas cut out of the bog. A lot of these are neat rectangular shapes and saw what looks like the marks left by a slean at the edge of one bank, this looks later but could still be quite old. Also had the impression that there is track marks on the bog surface , like that left by a cart of some sort.

A number of these ancient coastal forests have been exposed in recent years by the Atlantic storms. Great photos.
    There is peat submerged along the southern shore of the Dingle Peninsula in places also.
    Article on areas exposed in Galway -

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/storms-reveal-7-500-year-old-drowned-forest-on-north-galway-coastline-1.1715303

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

slowburner wrote: »
    Great photos.
    The shod hoof prints look modern. I’m open to correction on this. That could be any time post 1700, or thereabouts.
    The tracks are a little narrow and close together for a wheeled cart. It’s likely that they are tracks from a slipe or slide cart. These were simple horse-drawn carts with two struts that dragged along the ground rather than wheels.
    They sound inefficient but they were ideal in wetland or in rough slopes and could be repaired easily with simple materials.
    This type of cart was in use right up to the 20th C for turf and stone extraction in mountainous areas.
    The evidence here might not be especially old but it is a fascinating glimpse into work practices frozen in time.
    Thanks

I agree that that the bog area shown could have been worked until relatively modern times (18th or 19th century?) and just got covered by sands as seas have risen and land perhaps sunk in that area. Although it is difficult to say without a measure of how wide those tracks are, to me in one photo at least they look like the tracks made by a small lorry or even a car that sunk into soft land. Perhaps this area was previously uncovered by storms years ago and someone drove out onto it in a car or small truck for a lark? A measurement of the tracks might help.

The tracks were only a few inches wide, would fit with the description given by slowburner of a slipe or slide cart. Cant get back now for a couple of weeks with the restrictions but will bring a measuring tape and meter stick for perspective , hopefully it will still be uncovered.

Was thinking yes it could have been cut out sometime in the not so distant past after becoming exposed, hard to know how long ago but I will keep searching for any information and share with ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

The tracks were only a few inches wide, would fit with the description given by slowburner of a slipe or slide cart. Cant get back now for a couple of weeks with the restrictions but will bring a measuring tape and meter stick for perspective , hopefully it will still be uncovered.

Was thinking yes it could have been cut out sometime in the not so distant past after becoming exposed, hard to know how long ago but I will keep searching for any information and share with ye.

I was more thinking of the distance between the two tracks, whether it would match the distance between the wheels on a car axle for cars in the 1960s or 70's. Cars at that time had very narrow tyres compared to most modern ones and cars, or trailers built on car axles, would leave a track like that in soft ground. The other thing is that there does not seem to be any track left by whatever was pulling the thing making the tracks. If is sunk that far in the bog you would expect to also see the tracks of whatever was pulling it, either a horse/donkey, people power or tractor. Since there doesn't seem to be any other such tracks there I am suspecting a self propelled vehicle made the tracks, such as a car with narrow tyres that someone drove out on the exposed bog for a lark. Just a theory, I could be wrong!

• Advertisement

I was more thinking of the distance between the two tracks, whether it would match the distance between the wheels on a car axle for cars in the 1960s or 70's. Cars at that time had very narrow tyres compared to most modern ones and cars, or trailers built on car axles, would leave a track like that in soft ground. The other thing is that there does not seem to be any track left by whatever was pulling the thing making the tracks. If is sunk that far in the bog you would expect to also see the tracks of whatever was pulling it, either a horse/donkey, people power or tractor. Since there doesn't seem to be any other such tracks there I am suspecting a self propelled vehicle made the tracks, such as a car with narrow tyres that someone drove out on the exposed bog for a lark. Just a theory, I could be wrong!

Yeah certainly a possibility, sent a message to a work colleague from Ballyheigue to see if they or older members of the family have ever heard of turf being cut there in modern times, will see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Rmulvany

Over recent weekend rambles I went visiting some sites in Galway

On the grounds of the Ardfry Estate which was a site where the Blake Tribe of Galway built one of their castles and later Ardfry House.
    I.
    GA094-002: Designed Landscape, Folly.
    [Images attached]

II.
    GA094-114: Midden (As seen in the pictures [I did not disturb the area!], this area of the peninsula seems to be an oyster shell midden. Not surprisingly the Blakes established an Oyster farm a bit further in land)
    [Images attached]

III.
    Also came across a number of these carved stones. They seem to be mile markers but are located (some scattered on the shore, others still stuck in the ground) too close to each other to be M or Km markers. They could be a simple nautical marker but I like the look of them.
    [Images Attached]

IV.
    GA094-004: Country House (Ardfry House, b. 1770. On the grounds of the original Blake Castle)
    [Image Attached]

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Not sure if it's just me but I can't see any pictures.

:o
    There should be pics... I'll go and try and fix it! My bad

Pictures now attached to each post... again, hopefully!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,182 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they were on google user content servers, and i think the URLs aren't permanent.

they were on google user content servers, and i think the URLs aren't permanent.

Yeah, I was trying to use my Google Photos library, I could see the photos but obviously others couldn't!
    Can the attached photos be seen now?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,182 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yep, i can see them now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Coles

Found on a garden Any idea what it is?

In a garden, not on a garden. Thanks for any opinions because I have no idea.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

A candle wick trimmer?

slowburner wrote: »
    A candle wick trimmer?

Mystery solved with a few phone calls. It's a bookmark from Mali. So there you go. I bet you would have been a while guessing that!

A bit of housekeeping...posts about archaeology on tv have been moved to a more appropriate thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Master.

I was thinking this was maybe an old needle type thing for threading some kind of thick material.
    Any ideas?

I was thinking this was maybe an old needle type thing for threading some kind of thick material.
    Any ideas?
    Hard to say without something to judge scale but first thought was a buckle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,708 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Very rusted towing eye for a car? How big is it?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Any ideas?

Could you take a photo with a ruler or a euro coin beside it?. Hard to figure without scale. Reminds me of an eyelet thing that would be used for fencing horses into fields but it might be too small.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

If it's about the size of a hand I'd say farmyard-related, too (probably broken). If you go to a co-op you can probably find the non-rusted version.

Advertisement