Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

seafield house, donabate

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

It's been on the market for a while.

Nice to see the inside, though it wouldn't be to my taste!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I often wondered what it was, looking across the estuary and it and only recently read the history. I'd imagine there are all sorts of preservation orders on it so whoever buys it wouldn't be able to change much. Way too ostentatious for me but I'd love a look around inside!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

It was in the papers a while back along with some super-tech house in Kinsealy.
    The story of this one seemed to be that the current owners bought it for relatively cheap. A lot of development happening around there, probably wouldn't even notice it living in that though.
    I think there are three cottages on the land too although it was a while ago when I read it.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/new-to-market/grand-palladian-mansion-with-sea-views-in-donabate-for-10m-1.3496236

The neighbouring house was on the market at the same time for a quarter of the asking price. No idea how much it wen for though.
    https://www.independent.ie/life/home-garden/homes/on-the-home-straight-36733685.html

• Registered Users Posts: 24,949 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I often wondered what it was, looking across the estuary...
    Because of it's location, it's only visible from a distance across the estuary. Neither of the two public roads close to it offer any view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

It's on the market well over a year AFAIK. I'd say there's a very small market for that type of house.

• Advertisement

Tropheus wrote: »
    It's on the market well over a year AFAIK. I'd say there's a very small market for that type of house.
    And AFAIK there is no PP allowed for that land.
    The man that owns most the land on the broadmeadow side of Donabate has chopped up a fair bit of it and they are building a few large estates there now, as well as the bypass to Portrane new hospital.
    I was working all around that area last summer, very peaceful in parts.
    I would guess that will change a lot in the coming year, potential buyers may be waiting to see how, or for PP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Suckit wrote: »
    And AFAIK there is no PP allowed for that land.
    The man that owns most the land on the broadmeadow side of Donabate has chopped up a fair bit of it and they are building a few large estates there now, as well as the bypass to Portrane new hospital.
    I was working all around that area last summer, very peaceful in parts.
    I would guess that will change a lot in the coming year, potential buyers may be waiting to see how, or for PP.
    Why would you spend all that money and then change the house :?

It is incredibly pokey inside and garishly decorated. I wouldn't live in it. Ugh! :D

s1ippy wrote: »
    Why would you spend all that money and then change the house :?

It is incredibly pokey inside and garishly decorated. I wouldn't live in it. Ugh! :D

Well yeah, there is that too :) I didn't like the inside at all either.

I meant, a lot of potential buyers may be thinking of chopping off an acre or two for houses and get some money back.

I don't think you're allowed to touch that house at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Wait until lock down is lifted and then start negotiating around 5 million

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭appledrop

Architecticually it's a beautiful house.

The style inside is very over the top but that's being true to house + that would have been the style when it was built.

We were just admiring it yesterday across from estuary. As my little boy said oh wow it looks bigger than Newbridge house!

• Advertisement

appledrop wrote: »

The style inside is very over the top but that's being true to house + that would have been the style when it was built.

We were just admiring it yesterday across from estuary. As my little boy said oh wow it looks bigger than Newbridge house!
    He's not wrong :D. I think it is bigger than Newbridge house from the front perspective... But I don't think you can see Newbridge house from the same estuary.

I know you can see Newbridge house from Rogerstown estuary, and Seafield from Malahide side of Broadmeadows estuary, but not sure if you could see them both from behind, at Rogerstown.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

appledrop wrote: »

Actually, I disagree that the inside is period accurate. Those fireplaces with the built out sides don't look like mid-18th century Irish - they're much later and probably from another country. The colour scheme is too garish as well.

On the other hand, it must be a challenge to live a comfortable modern life in a house like that while keeping it looking the right period. You can't live in a museum. And it's probably freezing with that double height ceiling.

Genealogy Forum Mod

This was for sale around the same time seafield house went on the market
    https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/new-to-market/magnificent-malahide-villa-with-link-to-haughey-for-7-5m-1.3274008

Complete opposite end of the scale in terms of modernisation (I don't think it is Malahide either). Bought for €1.425 million in 2014, the owner modernised every part of it, (more so than is mentioned in that article), to me, that makes it a bit garish. I also imagine the constant need for updating would set you back quite a bit regularly, not to mention servicing. I think it is also still unsold.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

They mustn't be able to get planning permission on the 7 acres or it'd sell quick enough.

Off-topic - there's a great account on Instagram called Ugly Irish Houses, it's fascinating!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Was only looking at that this morning, it would be a great spa & equestrian retreat.

It really would, it's a perfect setting.

Advertisement