Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Printer for working from home

• 20-03-2020 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭

Need a good value and well regarded printer. Preferably bricks and mortar.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Damien360

You could pay any price on these. I have stuck with HP which you can get in any pc world or Harvey Norman’s. Models change all the time so walk in and see what’s there.

The price will be inkjet lower price to laser jet very expensive.
    Do you want just a printer or combined with a scanner which is very handy. Network ability or just USB connection. All these options change the pricing. Best to walk into a store (if we can still do that with Covid 19) and purchase.

Either way, ink will be an ongoing expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,363 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭A Law

Laser are the way to go. Something like this https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing-accessories/printers-scanners-and-ink/printers/brother-dcp1612w-monochrome-all-in-one-wireless-laser-printer-10124890-pdt.html

Generally Brother are a good brand. One of the most reasonable on ink. Genuine in for the one above is less that €40 for 1000 page capacity. Not an expert but the best thing you can do is look them up in Curry's etc and Google the price of ink and reviews, I find Amazon decent for reviews.

I’m using an old brother one and get 1000-1500 sheets per cartridge, I’d reckon a cheap inkjet might be 10% of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Thanks for the swift response guys. Yes mono would probably suffice, it's for the missus so mainly docs to sign etc and I have access to colour in work. lowered ink cost certainly a bonus. Will investigate further but those look good options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭vidapura

If I can save you the misery I have, then I'd suggest you don't buy an Epson photo printer anyway.

Bloody thing drives me nuts.
    Has a big Black cartridge but refuses to use it if any of the four photo colour cartridges are out...

So right now I have a full Black cartridge but the printer won't print B&W documents cos its not happy bout the colour cartridges even though Im not trying to print a photo...

Stupid bloody thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,405 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Just another vote for laser as opposed to inkjet. If mono is enough you can get a small laser printer very cheaply, 123ink.ie have a Brother one for only 62.50. Even a full colour one isn't that expensive once you factor in the printing costs.

Another advantage is that you don't get the problem you can get with inkjet printers where, if you don't use them frequently enough, the heads get bunged up with dried ink and you then waste loads of ink doing a cleaning cycle. A laser printer will just fire up and print within seconds of you sending the print job to it day in day out.

vidapura wrote: »
    If I can save you the misery I have, then I'd suggest you don't buy an Epson photo printer anyway.

Bloody thing drives me nuts.
    Has a big Black cartridge but refuses to use it if any of the four photo colour cartridges are out...

So right now I have a full Black cartridge but the printer won't print B&W documents cos its not happy bout the colour cartridges even though Im not trying to print a photo...

Stupid bloody thing.
    I feel your pain! Wouldn’t even print standard black and white documents If the photo black cartridge was low, and even the XL cartridges were tiny. It was excellent for printing photos though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,977 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I'm looking for a basic colour laser printer(wireless), is this the best option. Seems like a good price

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Hp instant ink may be an option. I got one that was dirt cheap and has 15 pages a month for free OR a free trial of a subscription service - pick the most expensive option and reduce it at the end of the free trial. May be useful to get you through a few months but you can't use the free cartridges without a subscription and can't return to the free plan after a free trial

• Advertisement

I'm looking for a basic colour laser printer(wireless), is this the best option. Seems like a good price
    Looks good. I have an older version of that one but double sided, the HL-3150CDW. I see there's a double sided version of the one you linked to called the HL-L3230CDW for very little more, might be worth considering.

By the way, the same as with inkjet printers, the toner cartridges it comes with are lower capacity than the standard ones, so maybe get a set while you're at it. The 123ink.ie versions are much cheaper and there's no discernible difference as far as I can see to the official Brother ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

antix80 wrote: »
    Hp instant ink may be an option. I got one that was dirt cheap and has 15 pages a month for free OR a free trial of a subscription service - pick the most expensive option and reduce it at the end of the free trial. May be useful to get you through a few months but you can't use the free cartridges without a subscription and can't return to the free plan after a free trial
    I've just bought one of these printers, pretty good for my use, printed some photos and the quality is quite good, signed up to the free option i.e. 15 pages, it pays to read the small print as I had originally thought I could trial for 5 months and then opt for the free subscription, but this is not an option as you've also noted. I bough the 5032 model.

Went for a brother mono laser in the end. Couldn't justify the extra cost for colour printing which would probably be infrequently used, like full set of replacement cartridges is more than the cost of mono printer

Went for a brother mono laser in the end. Couldn't justify the extra cost for colour printing which would probably be infrequently used, like full set of replacement cartridges is more than the cost of mono printer
    Yes, for most people, that's a perfectly good solution, especially for home office use. Which one did you go for?

Brother HL-1210W, should do the job hopefully

We picked up your colour one that you linked. Apparently my wife's job are paying!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 236 ✭✭evolveDD

Anyone used epson printers? Picked one up as of recent haven't used it yet though as we're working on the house, sad to see no one mentioned my previous purchase.. but yeah if any info on them I'd love to hear. cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

sweetie wrote: »
    We picked up your colour one that you linked. Apparently my wife's job are paying!

Hey Sweetie, would you mind saying which one you bought and any feedback on it, cheers

MAJJ wrote: »
    Hey Sweetie, would you mind saying which one you bought and any feedback on it, cheers

https://www.123ink.ie/Brother-HL-L3210CW-Colour-Laser-Printer-HLL3210CWRF1-i48792.html

So far seems fine, came with ink and a bit tricky to setup wirelessly but now it's sucking diesel. Got it in Argos at the weekend, did, HN no stock.

Advertisement