Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DCN Off-Topic Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Larianne wrote: »
    Saw a garda on a bike in Swords today. Well surprised with that.Thought it was just a city centre thing. My Dad said he's seen gardai on horses around Swords! :eek:

yep, regularly see the cops on bikes on the beat around Brackenstown - fantastic to see tbh. I saw a guard just hanging out in the Manor, keeping an eye on things - no scobies kicking footballs against the shutters when he was there! Very nice guy, obviously was told to reach out to the community. He said hello to me as I was passing, I nearly crapped myself! (till I realised I wasn't doing anything wrong, sign of a guilty conscience some would say :p )

• Registered Users Posts: 22,746 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

He was probably sussing you out as a potential "snitch" on his "manor".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

capital M, HB, capital M! :p

Pun-tastic. Touché!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

tbh wrote: »
    I saw a guard just hanging out in the Manor, keeping an eye on things - no scobies kicking footballs against the shutters when he was there! Very nice guy, obviously was told to reach out to the community. He said hello to me as I was passing, I nearly crapped myself! (till I realised I wasn't doing anything wrong, sign of a guilty conscience some would say :p )

Oh I don't frequent The Manor area. I saw him cycle at a snail's pace up the Rathbeale Road.

I know there had been a good bit of trouble up behind The Manor Inn with kids acting the maggot so it's good to see they're keeping an eye on it all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 ADzER

Martron wrote: »
    yeah sure !!!

they are active marton ??
    what would you know anyway ?
    i have been stopped sevral times before

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

ADzER wrote: »
    i have been stopped sevral times before

what would i know? i know that when i call them about lunatics skidding around in front of my house nothing ever happens.

and about all the other posts, the late night parties in the woods , all the grafiti around the place.

What would i know? You would want to be blind to not see there is not enough garda presence . So dont lecture me on not knowing.

or maybe they are doing there jobs and pulling over the trouble makers.

is this a question?

Martron wrote: »
    what would i know? i know that when i call them about lunatics skidding around in front of my house nothing ever happens. quote]

what are they supposed to do ??
    hijak the cars ?
    shoot them out of the cars ?
    theres no way to stop them if you had any sense to know that .
    tell me how you would stop them ?

and isaying all this stuff to back up QOTSA90 as he hates martron and hill billy .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭QOTSA90

Dont hold me responsible for anything that retard says.. please.

but QOTSA90, YOU told me today in person that you wanted hill billy to die ?

dont try and deny it please .
    i personally think he should get a ban .

NOTE . i am not trying to backseat mod but just my enhance my strong opinion .
    give QOTSA90 a ban please as he is insulting me and threatining me in private messages ..

copied and pasted from a pm sent by QOTSA90 to me : " you are a little fu***ng retard ..
    im going to fu***ng kill you ! "

he is using boards.ie as a bullying website .. please ban him to stop him doing this .. please

okey dokey!!!

I am sure this will be all sorted when hill billy sees this so dont you worry your pretty little head about it!

and isaying all this stuff to back up QOTSA90 as he hates martron and hill billy .
    but QOTSA90, YOU told me today in person that you wanted hill billy to die ?

dont try and deny it please .
    i personally think he should get a ban .

NOTE . i am not trying to backseat mod but just my enhance my strong opinion .
    give QOTSA90 a ban please as he is insulting me and threatining me in private messages ..

copied and pasted from a pm sent by QOTSA90 to me : " you are a little fu***ng retard ..
    im going to fu***ng kill you ! "

he is using boards.ie as a bullying website .. please ban him to stop him doing this .. please
    Now, now ADzER - calm down. If QOTSA90 is really bullying you, there is a Report Post button (report.gif) to the top right of every PM. When you report those posts I will take care of it.

However, in the meantime...
    ADzER wrote:
    if you had any sense to know that .
    ADzER wrote:
    Banned for a week for not being civil - attack the post, not the poster. Read the charter before you post here again.

HB

QOTSA90 wrote: »
    Dont hold me responsible for anything that retard says.. please.
    Banned for a week for using abusive language towards another poster. That's two bans for you in as many weeks. DCN is a muppet-free-zone. If you continue to be one I will ban you permanently.

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

I am normally the one in trouble..... I have had numerous communications with H.B and mods in another forum and have found the point "attack the post not the poster" is the only way to go.

I dont agree with a lot of stuff that goes on and with some posts put up here. So I try to make a point and usually there is a concensus formed.

Martron has made a point and who is anyone to doubt him? Problem in this part of town as I have before we just sit back and let it happen and when we do have a tragedy we will here "told you so". Maybe the people banned will contact Fingal C.C. and complain about speeding and anti-social behaviour in the area.

Back on the speeding issue, I emailed F.C.C transportation dept with regard to speed ramps being installed. I suggested to them they be installed near the entry to the estates on Lr.Main St as these junctions are highly dangerous and have seen a number of minor collisions.

My next step is to try and get figures as to how many accidents there have been but the problem with that is some sections of the community sort out these "tips" themselves.

Hope we are not hijacking this thread, there are problems in other towns and maybe some shared wisdom would help us all out.

You aren't hijacking the thread, but tbh anti-social behaviour in the locality is worthy of a thread of its own.

This thread is for DCN regulars to talk about non-DCN stuff. Think of it as neighbours chatting over the garden fence.

Weather was nice today! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Yeah it was a nice day, No rain, I missed it;). I dont mind rain, like they say in Iceland or what an Icelandic person would say "we dres for the cold" so we dress for the rain

It has been really warm if a little wet. The wettest mont of July according to Gerard Flemming on Radio today.

We were talking in work this morning and one of the lads reckons the summers were better when we were kids, he is older than me. I just think its much the same. It our minds wishing we were kids again. Wonder how the politicans will enjoy their hols and it raining?

Do you talk over the garden the fence to your neighbour? H.B are the you the person I was showing my new dog (well my daughters) new dog to today? Over he garden fense?

Hope the weather is nice tomorrow. Good night all, have to be up at 5.30am.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

It's not nice today though :(
    Some summer.....

We had a young fella with a noisy exhaust speeding around Rivervalley at all hours of the night, then one Sunday morning the guards came and confiscated his car :D. I think he got it back a couple of weeks later but he's not speeding around any more.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Good one. Reported some high speed antics a few weeks ago, but didn't hear anything. Was too quick to get the reg, mind.

Ah, the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

I did see a garda on a bike around Skerries a few weeks ago. And I thought "fair play" to him. Then I saw another Garda up by Holmpatrick Church and I said hello to him, but was ignored.

But indeed, fair play to them. I would love to see a garda on-foot patrol.

Driving around in the patrol car is well and good, but I always felt a sense of detachment if they're hiding in their cars.

They should do at least one foot patrol a night. At around 21:30 when people are out walking, or heading out for beers, or whatever.

It would give the messers a "oh crap" factor, and would give the town some sense of security.

Anyway, mini-rant over! :)

ha ha yeah the weather, working nights so did not see much of yesterday, last night was lovely mild night ten i wake up to this!!!

my garden fence is too high to chat over and i have no front garden :(

I don't have any neighbours to chat to. :(

Yeah no cycling today! Imagine, almost August and the weather's like this.

Headed up to Belfast today. Much cheaper than down here but the shops weren't really anyway better. Liverpool had much better shopping. I must plan a trip to London soon - feed my habit! :)

Where does everyone work - don't mean exactly - just, do you have far to travel? I live in Swords and work in Glasnevin (it's really Ballymun though!).

live in rush work on m50!

Where does everyone work - don't mean exactly - just, do you have far to travel? I live in Swords and work in Glasnevin (it's really Ballymun though!).

I live in The Blackhills, but work in Bern in Switzerland (a roundtrip commute of 2,432km). Speaking of which:

Happy Swiss National Day everybody!

24133.jpg

* Finishes translating a poxy business requirements doc written in German (when it should have been in English in the first place) & heads off to find beer & sausages & enjoy what is left of Swiss National Day *

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

I've a much smaller "commute" than that as I'm currently out of work. I hate the word "redundant"! Right now I'm a stay at home parent - so technically I've about 20 steps to my employer.

I hope you get sorted with something soon. Was out of work for almost 6 months myself. Thankfully I got this gig over here or I would probably still be off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Advertisement

Cookies. :)

That takes the biscuit. ;)

Advertisement